Powdercoat vs rhino liner vs line x

Lexiewalker

About to pull the trigger on some poison spyder fender flares and was just wondering what experiences people had with different types of coating. Originally I thought do it with a bed liner, but I've heard this turns out largely unsuccessful. I do like the textured look, so maybe a textured powder coat? Color matching is not a concern I plan on going with black. Thanks for any and all feedback!

JKUR-08

Congrats on your fender flares. I can't speak for the flares themselves but I have my entire interior and my rock gaurds rhino lined and I love it.

Thanks for posting this I just got a poison spyder brawler lite front bumper tube with shackle tabs was wondering the exact same thing. Was wondering also best way to prevent rust on the underside too if u do go with a liner, or if it just keeps it out all together. I'm thinking primer and rustoleium black layers and then line it but I'm not completely sure

tgoss

Both my girlfriend and myself have our PS Flares powder coated.

Did hers in wrinkle black to match her Smittybilt bumpers (matches rhino and line-x really well too) and I did all my PS stuff in Satin Black.

It's held up extremely well, we rarely garage our rigs and she LOVES leaving hers muddy.

Eezybreezy08

I just did my wife's poison spyder tire carrier with truck liner in a can. Worked fine and it dosent cost a lot. Looks good to. Plus easy to patch up what we might tear up on the trails

Just found this thread pretty helpful sorry wasn't a wayalife one 😎

Apparently ur not supposed to help people in the community looking for answers. Found what I need but can't share it.....

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
I have PS Crusher flares on my Brute...powder coated in textured black...they've held up fine for a couple years now...

Evil

I'm going to have everything powder coated texture black once then when I get scratches and scrapes on it, I can do a quick touch up with a textured black spray paint.

OJK12

Just found this thread pretty helpful sorry wasn't a wayalife one [emoji41]

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/why-i-like-duplicolor-bedliner-coating-74046/

Just so you know You should edit your post to remove the other link as posting links to outside forums is against the rules and frowned upon.

OP, I myself really am not a fan of powder coat as I never seem to have very good luck with it staying on. I live in the rust belt so a lil self etching primer and paint seem to work just as well and is my preferred method.

Lexiewalker

Thanks for all the input y'all. Brute and Evil, thanks I think I'm gonna go with textured powder coat as well . I live outside Austin and except for the occasional fishing trip to the coast, rust isn't gonna be a huge concern. However considering a temporary move to my family's house on Lake Michigan so I may soon need to take rust into consideration. I was hesitant bc I have heard so many horror stories about really shoddy powder coat work, and from what I've heard about bed liners, they eventually start falling off. Tgoss, that was helpful. Currently I have a smittybilt bumper as well though eventually I plan to upgrade. (Baby steps) mine lives in the driveway but I like to think I do a good job of cleaning her up after I get her muddy. Sullivan, too bad we can't share from others. Doesn't make sense to me but rules are rules I suppose.

SheaVertwot

I live about 1/4 mile to the ocean and my powder coat started rusting after a year. Just had my PSC front and rear line-x'ed instead and I love it so far... Both were about the same price also

Got the brawler lite in the other day, started with a good sand with some wire spin brushes and some steel wool, then used some acetone to clean it up. Just got finished spraying it down with primer (2 cans) all afternoon and slapping on this dupli color bed armor (2.5 cans) was pretty easy install couldn't reach top outside bolts very well with ratchet extension so used a 19mm wrench and a 8mm wrench to turn it. This stuff didn't cover as well as spray paint, was kinda hard to cover some of the tighter corners but I guess I could have just used black rustoleium or something on the interior just was easier this way. Glad I used a not black primer so I could see where I needed to apply thicker.

Attachments

• 1461117272586.jpg
    1461117272586.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 1461117288576.jpg
    1461117288576.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 83
  • 1461117303511.jpg
    1461117303511.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom