Lower my JK

mgnever

First of all, no, I'm not lowering my JK like a low rider or some ricer shit :naw:
I'm currently sitting on a 3" lift with Synenrgy coil spring with 315/70r17 Kumho KL71 and I think it's really too high:

(I know that the front is lower than the back, but the diesel engine is really heavier than the petrol engine).

I wanted to put a 2.5" lift from a two door, that will lift 1.5" on my JKU and put four BF KM2 37X12.50R17, what do I need to do to fit the wheels without problem? Cut the fender obviously, but do I need to change the rims too? Currently I've got 4 pro comp 17x8.5 offset 0 and I've got 2" bump stop front and back.

And last question...What do you think about lowering my car? Here in Italy we don't do rock crawling with huge ass rocks, our off road it's all mud and off road tracks, like this..

Do you think that lower my car will be a bad idea, since it's an Unlimited and the risk of getting stuck will increase, or the difference of 1.5" inch wont change nothing?
Also, is there someone running 37" with the lowest lift possibile who can post some pics? Just to see what it looks like.

I hope you guys can understand me since my english isn't perfect.

jeeeep

Hooked
IMO I'd put the 37's on before you lower it, you'll probably still need to trim the fenders so they don't rub.

you'll also need new wheels or spacers to get you to 4.5" back space

Pyro1415

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460446767.209269.jpg

2.5" on the same tires you want. I had to add 3/4" spacers on the back. I would not go any lower man, I'm trying to go higher and cut the flares lol. Rims are fine you'll need 4.5 backspacing although I'd recommend 3.5 if you'd like to keep your turn radius.

mgnever

I prefer to change rims, I hate spacers in the wheels because I noticed that when I had them I kept breaking wheels bearings and balljoints in the C of the axle.
But I domt get why I need spacers, if you lower the car the wheels what's is gonna hit? Swaybar? The Kumho KL71 are wider than a standar 12.50 and they don't rub against any parts of the jeep.
Anyway, I wanted to buy the method beadlock wheels in the future.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
mgnever;686842But I domt get why I need spacers said:
They probably don't rub because you are already running aftermarket rims with the proper back spacing.

Spacers are needed on factory style rims or aftermarket rims with similar back spacing to the factory rims.

Also as mentioned you will probably want to put the 37s on and then see how it sets. Some people on here run 37s on a 3 inch lift and still rub.

mgnever

The rubbing issues isnt a problem, I'll just change my bumpstop, hoping the car wont loose too much in suspesion travel.

But maybe 1.5" is too much, maybe the perfect solution will be a 2"/2.5". If I had a a two doors JK it will be stock with 37 inch tires and trimmed fender, but I've got a JKU and humps are a huge problem with the long wheel base..But a vehicle with an high center of gravity will be easy to roll during off road trail. Also, it will be a better drive on the road, but this is the last of the issues, I'm on a Jeep, not an SUV.

I don't know what to do. I see that in USA there's alot of people who run very low lift with huge tires (here in italy it's the opposite, huge lift with 35/37 tires) but I don't know if the cars work well on the trials or are just mall crawler..

Pyro1415

Originally the rims would rub on the sway links in the rear, I flipped them and it's fine now. But in the front I rub on the frame. But that's a simple steering fix. But I'd rather be able to maneuver in a parking lot. Raising up in inch or so would clear the frame.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I still think you will need a 3 inch lift and proper bump stops to clear 37s. Or less lift and start trimming sheet metal.

jeeeep

Hooked
The rubbing issues isnt a problem, I'll just change my bumpstop, hoping the car wont loose too much in suspesion travel.

But maybe 1.5" is too much, maybe the perfect solution will be a 2"/2.5". If I had a a two doors JK it will be stock with 37 inch tires and trimmed fender, but I've got a JKU and humps are a huge problem with the long wheel base..But a vehicle with an high center of gravity will be easy to roll during off road trail. Also, it will be a better drive on the road, but this is the last of the issues, I'm on a Jeep, not an SUV.

I don't know what to do. I see that in USA there's alot of people who run very low lift with huge tires (here in italy it's the opposite, huge lift with 35/37 tires) but I don't know if the cars work well on the trials or are just mall crawler..

have you cycled your front and rear axles with your current setup?

Top Bottom