Noob EVO Coilover Kit Questions

WaffenRFD

So I have been saving my pennies for a couple years now and have finally decided to lift my jeep reading through most of the threads it seems that most people that run the EVO coilover kit already have a lift but do you have to have a lift to run it? It was my impression that with coilovers you can set your ride height at least you can with a car. I know if I lift I need a front and rear driveshaft is there anything else I need to utilize this system? Arms? I am completely dumbfounded when it comes to lifting jks any help clarifying would be greatly appreciated

I have a 2 door JK Rubi if that helps

dchew

Caught the Bug
The coil-overs will lift the jeep; they say at least 3". I think the minimum you would need in addition to the coil over kits are adjustable lower arms and the drag link flip kit. You are correct about the front and rear driveshafts with your 2 door.

Dave

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have been saving my pennies for a couple years now and have finally decided to lift my jeep reading through most of the threads it seems that most people that run the EVO coilover kit already have a lift but do you have to have a lift to run it? It was my impression that with coilovers you can set your ride height at least you can with a car. I know if I lift I need a front and rear driveshaft is there anything else I need to utilize this system? Arms? I am completely dumbfounded when it comes to lifting jks any help clarifying would be greatly appreciated

I have a 2 door JK Rubi if that helps

With a 2-door, you definitely need a rear drive shaft and rear upper control arms so that you can set your pinion angle. If you have an auto, you need a front drive shaft as well. If you have a 2012 or newer, you need a front shaft regardless if you have an auto or manual. You also, really need a set of front lower control arms so that you can set your caster and, I would highly recommend that you get the EVO drag link front track bar kit as it will help with your handling. If you don't have them already, you will need new longer brakelines as well.

WaffenRFD

With a 2-door, you definitely need a rear drive shaft and rear upper control arms so that you can set your pinion angle. If you have an auto, you need a front drive shaft as well. If you have a 2012 or newer, you need a front shaft regardless if you have an auto or manual. You also, really need a set of front lower control arms so that you can set your caster and, I would highly recommend that you get the EVO drag link front track bar kit as it will help with your handling. If you don't have them already, you will need new longer brakelines as well.

Thanks for the input WOL do you know what the max tire size I could run with this setup?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input WOL do you know what the max tire size I could run with this setup?

Well, assuming you have axles that can handle it, I see no reason why you couldn't run 40's. I suppose if you set them tall enough, 42's but that's more than I'd prefer to run.

StrizzyChris

Well, assuming you have axles that can handle it, I see no reason why you couldn't run 40's. I suppose if you set them tall enough, 42's but that's more than I'd prefer to run.

Yup what ^he^ said. I called EVO when I ordered mine and they said absolutely no problem running 40's with this setup! :thumb:

WaffenRFD

I live in arizona and was planning on having EVO install the coilovers, draglink flip kit, and arms will the stock drive shafts have any issues coming back home? I plan to have my friend over at the dealership install my shafts and re-gear for warranty purposes he can put in the computer he installed them. Would prefer not to break down in the middle of the desert :yup:

Top Bottom