Issue installing RCV shafts

benatc1

Hooked
Received my Pro Rock 44 today from Trail Jeeps and when installing the RCV shafts I'm having an issue getting them all the way seated in. They are the 35 spline with an ARB in the differential. I think the shaft is all the way seated in the differential but the shaft itself came to me in 2 pieces and when trying to put on the outer It barely bites on. the outer shaft isn't in far enough to seat the boot or give enough room for the bearing to go back in place. Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with. I plan to call Wes at Trailjeeps tomorrow but seeing if u all had any ideas. I've looked at all the install videos, they don't really apply to the 35splines. That ring on the shaft seems to be blocking the outer shaft from going in further but don't know if I should remove it or not. Maybe the whole shaft isnt in all the way but it wont go in any further. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1460513349407.jpg
    1460513349407.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 1460513361406.jpg
    1460513361406.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 1460513375786.jpg
    1460513375786.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 137

jkuone

Yup common deal , you need to get the stub shaft on as far as it will go then try an put the unit bearing on get the bolts started start tighting them and it will press it on the rest of the way. Just be careful you don't booger up that snap ring or the boot. I had that same issue..

benatc1

Hooked
Yup common deal , you need to get the stub shaft on as far as it will go then try an put the unit bearing on get the bolts started start tighting them and it will press it on the rest of the way. Just be careful you don't booger up that snap ring or the boot. I had that same issue..

OK great, I figures it wasn't completely messed up out of the box. I'll give that a try when I get home today, thank you!

Havoc40

It's common. If any air is trapped in the boot, it won't go all the way on. I use a .005 or .010 feeler gauge to create a void for air to escape. Once the stub shaft is fully seated, just pull out the shim and you'll be able to completely install the unit bearing.

benatc1

Hooked
It's common. If any air is trapped in the boot, it won't go all the way on. I use a .005 or .010 feeler gauge to create a void for air to escape. Once the stub shaft is fully seated, just pull out the shim and you'll be able to completely install the unit bearing.

Ok ill do this as well, thank you!

benatc1

Hooked

Thanks for the tips guys, with your help they came together perfect for me this afternoon!

Top Bottom