Thinner spacers

TWX

I've been reading on the various issues that have been found with the 1" and 1.25" spacers, like tire contact with the fender liners and wheel arches.

Has anyone experimented with thinner spacers?

http://adaptitusa.com/5-x-110-Flat-Wheel-Spacers.aspx

I assume that the biggest headaches with these kinds of spacers would be getting them positioned correctly, given the use of lug bolts instead of lug nuts, and how that might affect wheel balance. I'm also assuming it means using longer lug bolts, or possibly looking into switching to a threaded stud lock-tited into the hub, with a true lug nut again...

My thoughts are that depending on available tires for the 17" trailhawk wheels down the road, it might be easier to switch to a 235/60-17 tire. That wouldn't require a whole lot more spacing (10mm approx) and there might be more tires available for offroad use in that size.

Ddays

Hooked
Not heard anything good about these spacers. Unless you install longer studs your lug nuts may not have enough thread to tighten properly. Plus these have the potential to come loose. Go with a hub centric adapter that is installed with nuts. If the aftermarket wheels you are getting arent hub centric you can order those from motorsport-tech.com. They run $25 more per adapter that Spidertrax but are solid made in USA pieces.

FireHawk

I don't know that SpiderTrax makes spacers for our Renegades yet, but they would be my preferred source if they do. I would definitely go with a hubcentric spacer that bolts up, instead of the "sandwich style" spacers that may cause issues down the line.

TWX

Bear in mind that the Renegade uses lug bolts rather than lug nuts. So I'd have to get longer lug bolts if I did this.

jgoerlitz

You're going to murder your wheel bearings and potentially void the factory warranty. Offset factory look alike rims are what I'd get if I ever wanted to go that route. A lot of tire shops won't touch your vehicle once they find out you have spacers for fear of liability.

Pyro1415

I've been reading on the various issues that have been found with the 1" and 1.25" spacers, like tire contact with the fender liners and wheel arches.

Has anyone experimented with thinner spacers?

http://adaptitusa.com/5-x-110-Flat-Wheel-Spacers.aspx

I assume that the biggest headaches with these kinds of spacers would be getting them positioned correctly, given the use of lug bolts instead of lug nuts, and how that might affect wheel balance. I'm also assuming it means using longer lug bolts, or possibly looking into switching to a threaded stud lock-tited into the hub, with a true lug nut again...

My thoughts are that depending on available tires for the 17" trailhawk wheels down the road, it might be easier to switch to a 235/60-17 tire. That wouldn't require a whole lot more spacing (10mm approx) and there might be more tires available for offroad use in that size.

Absolutely do not use these. Get some spydertrax hub centric. Adapter style spacers.

TWX

So what if you only want to shim the wheel far enough out to go with a 235/60 tire instead of the stock 215/65? The two spacers shown, 1" and 1.25" have to be that thick in order to have integral lug nuts. If one only wants to shim-out a half-inch or possibly less then such an adapter won't work.

Pyro1415

So what if you only want to shim the wheel far enough out to go with a 235/60 tire instead of the stock 215/65? The two spacers shown, 1" and 1.25" have to be that thick in order to have integral lug nuts. If one only wants to shim-out a half-inch or possibly less then such an adapter won't work.

Shims are dangerous. The horror story's you find involving "spacers" are these shims. They can cause lugs to vibrate/shear off. If you don't/can't run a larger adapter style spacer then you need to buy new wheels with the proper offset like others have mentioned. Also shims are almost a guaranteed drop by your insurance provider in the event of an accident where your wheel falls off.

Pyro1415

Oh also 215 to 235 is such a small difference you can probably do it with no spacers. Discount tire might be able to let you know.

Alandude58

I'm getting ready to get my new Renegade Trailhawk in about 8 weeks, had to order it, and 1 1/2" spacers are my first upgrade. I've been running 2" spacers on my Jeep Commander with no issues and all my buddies run spacers on their Toyotas, Nissans and Jeeps. Never had any issues. They are all hub centric, and my Hemi has not caused any damage to them. My buddies do some heavy off roading too. Remember, the Porsche turbos all had spacers in the back!

TWX

I'm getting ready to get my new Renegade Trailhawk in about 8 weeks, had to order it, and 1 1/2" spacers are my first upgrade. I've been running 2" spacers on my Jeep Commander with no issues and all my buddies run spacers on their Toyotas, Nissans and Jeeps. Never had any issues. They are all hub centric, and my Hemi has not caused any damage to them. My buddies do some heavy off roading too. Remember, the Porsche turbos all had spacers in the back!

The biggest issue is not necessarily what the spacers do to the bearings, it's that if the spacer pushes the wheel outward then the arc-swing of the tire is greater. This then requires trimming in the wheel wells to make it all fit.

The closer the wheel/tire to the pivot point, the less the arc-swing, and the narrower the wheel-well can be while still accommodating the tire.

Top Bottom