Drag Link and Tie Rod recommendations?

SoupierPuppy

So recently I discovered first hand what death wobble feels like. If you have it you know what im talking about. I browsed through the forums and saw what heped a lot of people and after checking my tie rod first (bushings, brackets, torque spec) i decided it was beyond my technical ability so i took it to a shop down the street from me. They seemed to be fairly familiar with the problem and suggested that I replace my tie rod and drag link ends as those are going bad. So taking professional advice I am going to replace them. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what drag link and tie rod I should purchase?

iRonin

I personally went Synergy for both. The Tie rod is damn near indestructible, both use grease-able ends. Only complaint I have is how the grease boots pop undone sometimes but it's an easy job to re-seat them with some needle-nose.

deadguy

I snapped a synergy tierod and while it was probably a fluke id look at something else. I have no problem with synergy at all and THEY DID WARRANTY IT but It's constantly in the back of my mind Everytime I go out on the trail. The yeti one looks pretty diesel along with the currie. There are a couple others that are out there as well

Last edited:

deadguy

Picture to prove it. Like I said they did warranty it and they stood behind thier product. I actually haven't heard if anyone else breaking one.

Attachments

• 1460660964881.jpg
    1460660964881.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 167

tgoss

I run Synergy for both too. Had no problems so far and added poly performance/synergy low misalignment dust boots to help with rod flop. I'm happy with them both so far, pretty beefy.

rogerk93

I have the synergy drag link and it damn sure feels beefy as F no complaints. I'm soon going to buy the tie rod from them too

Jeepfan30

I run Synergy for both too. Had no problems so far and added poly performance/synergy low misalignment dust boots to help with rod flop. I'm happy with them both so far, pretty beefy.

is there a low misalignment boot for the drag link? If so, can you post the link? Thanks,

brooklyn4x4

You said you checked your tie rod first did you check to make your trackbar was tighten to spec. That's normally the biggest problem.

SoupierPuppy

The trackbar was the first thing I checked. The bolt was super tight. I dont have a torque wrench but it was already tighter than what I could with a standard socket wrench. It is possible that the mounting hole is wallowing out though. The bracket itself appears to be in good shape still. I did check my ball joints as that was the #2 reason on the DW thread. They seem fine to me but I am by no means an expert when it comes to anything automotive. I have a significantly more auto-savvy buddy who is going to be helping me double check everything. My tie rod ends and Drag link ends do look like they have a bit of play in them and I am assuming that there shouldnt be any in those components. If he concurs with the shop's diagnosis of tie rod and drag link ends I will probably buy OE ends to save a couple of bucks on the off chance that it is not the cause for my wobble. If it solves my problem then I can buy heavy duty stuff and keep the new parts as spares for a rainy day.

jeeeep

Hooked
The trackbar was the first thing I checked. The bolt was super tight. I dont have a torque wrench but it was already tighter than what I could with a standard socket wrench. It is possible that the mounting hole is wallowing out though. The bracket itself appears to be in good shape still. I did check my ball joints as that was the #2 reason on the DW thread. They seem fine to me but I am by no means an expert when it comes to anything automotive. I have a significantly more auto-savvy buddy who is going to be helping me double check everything. My tie rod ends and Drag link ends do look like they have a bit of play in them and I am assuming that there shouldnt be any in those components. If he concurs with the shop's diagnosis of tie rod and drag link ends I will probably buy OE ends to save a couple of bucks on the off chance that it is not the cause for my wobble. If it solves my problem then I can buy heavy duty stuff and keep the new parts as spares for a rainy day.
with the torque setting that the track bar requires if you just use a standard socket wrench you won't be able to get enough leverage to make sure it's tight enough it'll feel incredibly tight since you have no leverage.
have someone get in the driver's seat while you lay and look at the front and have them turn the wheel side to side and you'll be able to see any parts that shouldn't be moving abnormally like the track bar. also if you're sitting at idle and turn your steering wheel all the way side to side, does the front of the hood seem to rise up and down?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
with the torque setting that the track bar requires if you just use a standard socket wrench you won't be able to get enough leverage to make sure it's tight enough it'll feel incredibly tight since you have no leverage.
have someone get in the driver's seat while you lay and look at the front and have them turn the wheel side to side and you'll be able to see any parts that shouldn't be moving abnormally like the track bar. also if you're sitting at idle and turn your steering wheel all the way side to side, does the front of the hood seem to rise up and down?

125 ft lbs... yeah... you need to buy a torque wrench. 1/2" drive. Harbor freight if your in a pinch. They have a DECENT 150lb 1/2" drive torque wrench for less then $35.

tgoss

is there a low misalignment boot for the drag link? If so, can you post the link? Thanks,

** Sorry deleted my first response. Edit, no there isn't. They don't recommend it for the TRE on the drag link. Only the tie rod.

Last edited:

jk12blk

If you do go heavy duty, check out Fusion4x4's 2.5 ton tie rod and draglink setup. I chose it for my new axle build - will be mounting them to reid super kingpins but it also works with factory JK knuckles. Pretty slick setup and if you need to flip your draglink just reverse the cartridge. I currently run synergy which has been good like others have mentioned.

Brute

Hooked
On the Brute, I went with Dynatrac ball joints, Synergy track bar & tie rod, and a Synergy track bar/steering sector shaft brace...and it's all good...no complaints.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I've been running the Currie Tie Rod & Drag Links. They're stout and have taken a beating over the years.

When I bought them they were $899. They're a couple hundred dollars more now though.

CEFC1430-5BD6-430E-B1DD-537C6C67070F_zps48iamadu.jpg

Top Bottom