Low speed vibration after off-roading?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Mystery: After the first off-road outing, my jeep has developed a low speed vibration I can hear and feel through the gas pedal and floor. Happens when first rolling from a stop- more so when the wheels are turned.

I was in quite a bit of mud and spent an hour power washing everything, including underneath. I though it was probably the mud caked to the crossover exhaust pipe that was touching the rockhard skid plate. I swept away the mud and rocks so the exhaust isn't touching anymore.

It almost feels like it could be the driveshaft or a u-joint. I'm at 5000 miles, so I don't think I wore anything out. If it was a driveshaft, wouldn't the vibe get worse at speed? It's smooth as butter at highway speeds.

Last edited:

Kyle7R

Mystery: After the first off-road outing, my jeep has developed a low speed vibration I can hear and feel through the gas pedal and floor. Happens when first rolling from a stop- more so when the wheels are turned.

I was in quite a bit of mud and spent an hour power washing everything, including underneath. I though it was probably the mud caked to the crossover exhaust pipe that was touching the rockhard skid plate. I swept away the mud and rocks so the exhaust isn't touching anymore.

It almost feels like it could be the driveshaft or a u-joint. I'm at 5000 miles, so I don't think I wore anything out. If it was a driveshaft, wouldn't the vibe get worse at speed? It's smooth as butter at highway speeds.

Did you pull the wheels and check for mud caked up on the inside of the wheel, or even the hub/brake assembly area?

This is reason # 476 why I avoid mud if at all possible :crazyeyes:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've had the mud wobbles plenty of times before and it normally comes in over 20mph. If you're feeling it through the floor it's likely from the rear. Check the rear driveshaft

Pixie Duster

You might want to check the exhaust pipe section that in front of your cross-member. When I installed my RH full steel skid I had the same. Solved it quickly!

zimm

Caught the Bug
Nope, I'm in 2wd. I noticed that I'm now getting the vibration while stopped occasionally. If I shift to neutral it goes away. Now I'm thinking maybe the exhaust is touching something. I hosed everything out underneath so nothing is touching the skid plate and there's no mud in the wheels or brakes.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I spent some time under the Jeep and found two things- the evap canister rattles. I took it out and put it back in. Also I had a couple of feet of the 7 pin trailer harness laying on top of the muffler heat shield. I rerouted and secured the wire. No more vibes. Not sure which one it was, but my jeep is back to normal!

Last edited:
Top Bottom