Duratrac vs MTRkevs??

JKBANDIT55

So I am biting the bullet on tires either tomorrow or thursday. As soon as I make up my mind.

I live in Denver Co. It does snow every once and a while. Last time we really got some deep snow was maybe 4-5 years ago. I do most of my wheeling adventures in the summer. mostly moderate trails. I love the look of the MTRkevs and they are a light tire. Going with 35s and with the new 2012 engine my buddy says a re gear is not needed with 3.21s and the light MTRK tires. Are M/T tires really that bad in snow? I am running the stock rubicon GY M/Ts now and they do fine for my liking in the snow.

Question is, Do I go with the MTRKs since most of my wheeling is in the summer, it hasnt been snowing much and I do maybe 1 snow wheeling trips a year? Also because they are light and I wouldn't have to worry about re gearing?

Or, do i play it safe and go with the Duratracs since it sometimes does snow? I know the Duratracs are the more versatile tire here but I have always like the MTRKevs. The guys I wheel with that have them love them.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The MT/R Kevlars are the WORST tire I've ever run. I've had them in a 35/12.50/17 and a 37/12.50/17. Neither of them would balance worth a damn. Neither were as good in the rocks as the Mud Grapplers I ran before. Neither of them had strong sidewalls like Goodyear would lead you to believe with the word "Kevlar" on the sidewall. I would look at any tire BUT the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Never ran the kevlars but have heard nothing but negative comments. I've ran the duratracs in 315 and really liked them. I bought them for the snow myself. However, their weaker sidewall made them less than ideal. I slashed the sidewall on mine on a really easy run.

I'm running nitto trail grapplers now and love them! They don't have as much siping as the duratracs, but have done fine so far this winter. Just another option.

Good luck!

LoPo

Caught the Bug
dumping my MTR w/Kevlars. They are great in the dirt and rocks, absolutely suck on road. My Jeep wonders all over the road and lane skips on the freeway. They do just fine in the snow though.

I switched from Toyo MT's to the MTR's. The Toyo's were significantly better.

You may want to consider looking at the Nitto Trail Grapplers.

I've heard good things about the Duratracs, but only heard it from guys running them on their trucks, not Jeeps.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The MT/R Kevlars are the WORST tire I've ever run. I've had them in a 35/12.50/17 and a 37/12.50/17. Neither of them would balance worth a damn. Neither were as good in the rocks as the Mud Grapplers I ran before. Neither of them had strong sidewalls like Goodyear would lead you to believe with the word "Kevlar" on the sidewall. I would look at any tire BUT the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar.

Ditto!! I so wanted to like the set of MT/R's I had but, in the end, they were the WORST tire I've ever run.

Holeshot

Banned
I personnally run duratracs on my 2 door jk for over 6 months now and around 10 000km, 2 months in the snow and cold temperature (as low as -15 ferenheit).

I live in quebec, canada, we have snow 6 months a year, and duratracs were my first choice. I work in a dealership and duratracs are a big seller for trucks, so I decided to give them a try and, must admit that i'm really impressed with their performance, on and offroad and of course, on snowy/icy roads. they grip well, I run most of the time on 2wd on the highway and even on the street when it's not too slippery. They're not as good as a real winter tire but as long as you drive smartly, you'll be safe.

I was also surprised how light and easy to balance these tires was. I have one that don't have any weights and still run smooth after 10 000km. The only downside is like mtg said, the weak sidewalls. they're like 2ply? but that makes them easy to mount and plays a big part in their light weight. I guess they're about 60 pounds for a 35 on stock rims. Much lighter than F150 stock tires and wheels :rock:

My note : 9/10 for the weak sidewall, but play safe and you'll be good :standing wave:

JKBANDIT55

Lol. Sounds like MTRKs are a bad idea.

I'm leaning towards duratracs then. But I'm going to check out some of the other tires you guys mentioned. Thanks fellas

Top Bottom