Simple Door and Ignition Key instead of switchblade-fob

TWX

So, it seems silly to have a vehicle tailored to an active lifestyle that has a key whose functions will probably die if it gets immersed in water.

Our 2015 Trailhawk has the metal key for the ignition. The fob can trigger the doors to lock/unlock, the hatch to pop, and a panic-mode. It also takes up a lot of pocket space and probably can't handle being in the swimsuit pocket in the ocean or getting drenched as one shoots the rapids in the Grand Canyon.

The Renegade is built on the Fiat platform that was originally developed in the early 2000s as a joint-venture between Fiat and GM's Opel division, before Chrysler was ever in the picture, which almost directly also underpins the 500X, and is related to the 500L and Ram Promaster City mini cargo van, and presumably as automakers like to keep things consistent, probably has electronics that are related to the regular modern 500 and any other models that Fiat makes.

So, down to the business at hand...

Jeep does not list a simple key for the Renegade. They only list the switchblade-fob and the remote-control fob. The Ram Promaster full-size van, however, has both a variant of the switchblade key (which looks an awful lot like the one for the regular 500) and a "valet key" that's a simple key:

http://www.mopar.com/part/68224013AA?s=369937&i=5881099&b=ram

Which looks a lot like this Fiat key:

fiat-transponder-key-blank.jpg

Now, to further add to the works, I found a video on Youtube showing how one uses a special diagnostic computer to reprogram the keys to the vehicle:

and that got me thinking that perhaps this Promaster key, or a simpler key for the Punto or Doblo or another Fiat product, may be programmable to start the ignition on the Renegade.

This keyway style looks to be an SIP22, whatever that means. It's difficult to duplicate, and it looks like one can supply a code to the dealer to get the proper metal key ordered so it doesn't have to be cut locally.

As a complicating factor, if the Jeep Renegade programs keys like the Fiat 500 in the video, then the programming process causes the vehicle to forget all keys, and have to have them reprogrammed back-in one after the next. I am not sure if this also causes the vehicle to forget the remote transmitter for the door locks, trunk, and panic buttons. If not or if that gets automagically reprogrammed then good. If it's more involved then it's a bigger PITA.

I would really love to have a fairly simple key to carry, especially when actually going to do something outdoors, such that I don't have to try to protect this fairly expensive fob key. I couldn't care less if the key said Jeep or FIAT or Dodge or RAM or even Opel on it, so long as it works properly.

Any information would be much appreciated, especially if you work at a dealership and have more access to this information!

WJCO

Meme King
So, it seems silly to have a vehicle tailored to an active lifestyle that has a key whose functions will probably die if it gets immersed in water.

Our 2015 Trailhawk has the metal key for the ignition. The fob can trigger the doors to lock/unlock, the hatch to pop, and a panic-mode. It also takes up a lot of pocket space and probably can't handle being in the swimsuit pocket in the ocean or getting drenched as one shoots the rapids in the Grand Canyon.

The Renegade is built on the Fiat platform that was originally developed in the early 2000s as a joint-venture between Fiat and GM's Opel division, before Chrysler was ever in the picture, which almost directly also underpins the 500X, and is related to the 500L and Ram Promaster City mini cargo van, and presumably as automakers like to keep things consistent, probably has electronics that are related to the regular modern 500 and any other models that Fiat makes.

So, down to the business at hand...

Jeep does not list a simple key for the Renegade. They only list the switchblade-fob and the remote-control fob. The Ram Promaster full-size van, however, has both a variant of the switchblade key (which looks an awful lot like the one for the regular 500) and a "valet key" that's a simple key:

http://www.mopar.com/part/68224013AA?s=369937&i=5881099&b=ram

Which looks a lot like this Fiat key:

View attachment 199266

Now, to further add to the works, I found a video on Youtube showing how one uses a special diagnostic computer to reprogram the keys to the vehicle:

and that got me thinking that perhaps this Promaster key, or a simpler key for the Punto or Doblo or another Fiat product, may be programmable to start the ignition on the Renegade.

This keyway style looks to be an SIP22, whatever that means. It's difficult to duplicate, and it looks like one can supply a code to the dealer to get the proper metal key ordered so it doesn't have to be cut locally.

As a complicating factor, if the Jeep Renegade programs keys like the Fiat 500 in the video, then the programming process causes the vehicle to forget all keys, and have to have them reprogrammed back-in one after the next. I am not sure if this also causes the vehicle to forget the remote transmitter for the door locks, trunk, and panic buttons. If not or if that gets automagically reprogrammed then good. If it's more involved then it's a bigger PITA.

I would really love to have a fairly simple key to carry, especially when actually going to do something outdoors, such that I don't have to try to protect this fairly expensive fob key. I couldn't care less if the key said Jeep or FIAT or Dodge or RAM or even Opel on it, so long as it works properly.

Any information would be much appreciated, especially if you work at a dealership and have more access to this information!

Ziploc bags? Or hide-a-key on the vehicle? I used to use a hide-a-key at the beach in California.

TWX

My second motive is that this is not my primary vehicle, but my wife's. I have a smaller fob for my '95 Impala, detached from the key, and I don't want to carry more than one fob. A simple key like the one for her '01 Integra that the Renegade replaces would be acceptable.

Obviously there are some workarounds for the water issue, but I'm attempting to figure out what the direct-solution is, rather than trying to come up with a bandaid like a ziplock bag.

WJCO

Meme King
My second motive is that this is not my primary vehicle, but my wife's. I have a smaller fob for my '95 Impala, detached from the key, and I don't want to carry more than one fob. A simple key like the one for her '01 Integra that the Renegade replaces would be acceptable.

Obviously there are some workarounds for the water issue, but I'm attempting to figure out what the direct-solution is, rather than trying to come up with a bandaid like a ziplock bag.

Scuba and snorkel shops actually have damn good bags for this exact scenario.

Skid_Kid

When you get keys programmed for a vehicle you must bring all the keys you have to do it, or yes the ones you do not bring will be deleted.

TWX

Just to head this off right now, I am not interested in any solutions that involve protecting the existing fob from moisture.

I started this thread to discuss alternate keys that might work to operate this vehicle. I'm looking at this as something not much different than any other modifications that one might make to the vehicle itself, as from what I've read in other places, I'm not the only person looking for a simple key. Like my wife's Integra I could not get away from having that plastic-head key because it has the transponder for the engine control computer inside, but either way, going to a more simple key than the multifunction fob is what I'm trying to do.

JAGS

Hooked
The jeep keys also have a chip in them. So you'll need something similar.

You could make a door only key, possibly, but you'd need to stash a fob key inside the vehicle for the actual ignition.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Funny now after reading this, I wish I had a really simple key for my wrangler that I didnt have to worry about getting wet and what not. Odd jeep wouldn't realize this but then again, all the mall crawlers and soccer moms wouldn't be happy without a fob.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
ive forgot my keys in my pocket on SEVERAL occasions to the shore and washed my pants with the jeep keys in the pocket... still works fine, whats the issue here?? :idontknow:

Journeyman

Funny now after reading this, I wish I had a really simple key for my wrangler that I didnt have to worry about getting wet and what not. Odd jeep wouldn't realize this but then again, all the mall crawlers and soccer moms wouldn't be happy without a fob.

I had a key cut for my jku. No chip or fob on it (cheap hardware store). It will not start the jeep and it does set the vehicle into a panic, but it will unlock the door. I did this so I could surf with my key in my wetsuit. I would just put my fob under my seat so when the vehicle panicked I could quickly access the unlock button to stop the panic mode.

FireHawk

I had a key cut for my jku. No chip or fob on it (cheap hardware store). It will not start the jeep and it does set the vehicle into a panic, but it will unlock the door. I did this so I could surf with my key in my wetsuit. I would just put my fob under my seat so when the vehicle panicked I could quickly access the unlock button to stop the panic mode.

This is probably the easiest solution, and what I will most likely do. Toss normal keyring in the Jeep somewhere, and use the cheapie key to get back into and get to the fob.

WJCO

Meme King
This is probably the easiest solution, and what I will most likely do. Toss normal keyring in the Jeep somewhere, and use the cheapie key to get back into and get to the fob.

Lots of people do this. 'Valet' key from Wal-Mart or Ace is quick and cheap.

Unfortunately, my Jeep key has been through the wash two or three times. Still works just fine!

LetsGoMuddin

I work at a Chrysler dealership and I program fobs and keys frequently. I've never heard of the need to reprogram keys that have already been programmed to the car when programming a new key or fob. I do know that even simple keys without the door and lock buttons still require programming in order for the car to start. I hope this helps in some sort of way.

Dmartinizer

On my 2017 Jeep you cant hide a FOB or keep a spare FOB inside the car because the doors will not lock. If you are within 5 feet of the vehicle with the FOB in your pocket all you have to do is touch the door handle and it unlocks the car and when you leave the FOB in the car and try to lock the doors, it will not lock. Kinda sucks.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dmartinizer

The original person of this post should get a Number Pad on their door handle that unlocks the door with a combination , that way you wouldnt need to have a key at all in your pocket. Just saying!

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom