Tailgate vents

Hey Guys, what's the purpose of all the venting in the tailgate of my 07 JK 2dr hardtop, other than letting in a bunch of dust? And can these be blocked off without any issues? :thinking:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If you have the air conditioning blowing at all no dust will get it. The air makes it's way out the vent on the back of your Jeep when the blower motor is spinning. Also, as mentioned, it gives a place for air to escape when you shut a door on your Jeep. If you cover it up, you notice a reduction in the effectiveness of the air coming out your AC vents, which will also cause the blower motor to work much harder.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
If you have the air conditioning blowing at all no dust will get it. The air makes it's way out the vent on the back of your Jeep when the blower motor is spinning. Also, as mentioned, it gives a place for air to escape when you shut a door on your Jeep. If you cover it up, you notice a reduction in the effectiveness of the air coming out your AC vents, which will also cause the blower motor to work much harder.

Warning, thread hijack in progress...:eek:

With removing the factory stock rear tire carrier, what kind of tailgate delete panel did you use? I was looking at the EVO MFG one but it states it removes the factory vent. So is there just a hole there instead? Can the factory vent be altered to accept and still keep those uber cool pieces of rubber flaps to "keep the dust out".

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Warning, thread hijack in progress...:eek: With removing the factory stock rear tire carrier, what kind of tailgate delete panel did you use? I was looking at the EVO MFG one but it states it removes the factory vent. So is there just a hole there instead? Can the factory vent be altered to accept and still keep those uber cool pieces of rubber flaps to "keep the dust out".

This one fits with the vent.

http://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-gate-plate-black-jk-jku/

The one you are referring to is a vent delete,

Thanks Hobo lobo and High-octane, I didn't know that. I'm new to Jeeps, not off roading. This last wheeling trip, I had the air off and the windows open. I got lots of dust at the gate.

Top Bottom