Long arms vs coil overs for best street ride/bump absorption?

zimm

Caught the Bug
As I'm learning more about JKU suspensions- what's the biggest gain? Going to coilovers or long arms? I don't need the last inch of flex as much as I'd rather have the best possible bump absorption and ride. As my daily driver, unfortunately, I'm at least 99% street. But I drive aggressive, I love to jump over speed bumps, ignore pot holes, go as fast around a freeway ramp as I can, etc. I used to have a '08 4runner with ICON coilovers up front and I could float over just about any road obstacle- I loved it. The RK 2.5" coils and Fox shocks are good, but not as good as the 4runner was. If I were to "upgrade" I wonder what would be the best option to do first. I can't just throw $5000 at the jeep and do both, but I could swing one or the other.

geberhard

Douchebag
Coilovers and lon arms are different things. I think you mean coiovers vs coils both with longarms? reallistically coilovers are a great setup but not for everyone and take a while to dial in perfectly. I prefer coils any given day from a simplicity and cost side on a street driven Jeep. If you are breaking over the 60-70% trail uisage side, a coilover is a good invetment.

Not knowing your plan, swheeling sty;le and budget, and assuming you have a 4 door JK I would steer towards a good short arm setup that will still give you good travel. Once you consider heavier duty axle upgrades and tires over 37" it may be time for long arms.

My $.3.5 cents

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Umm a good set of coil overs will be about $4000 plus install and the same for a set of long arms. It's gonna be at least $5000 for each.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm asking about stock short arms (adjustable front lowers) with coil overs vs long arms added to my existing steel coils and fox shocks. About the same cost.

Yes in my signature I show that I'm a 4 door. I'm also heavy (hard top, skid plate, bumpers, which, tire carrier). Use? I mentioned I'm 99% street- but I wheel when I can and I'm currently stationed east coast so woods, mud, roots, etc. I'm happy with my off-road performance, but I'd like to blast over speed bumps and pot holes without crashing into my bump stops so much.

geberhard

Douchebag
If budget (sheeling a couple grand for front bolt ons) is not an issue go with the bolt on CO setups (i.e. EVO, RE, etc). I honestly do not see any real gain for a 99% street vehicle, but you could be better off by installing a better speed dampening setup (like Teraflex speed bump (there are better ones out there).

A cheap approach to try is inserting some prothane cut to size speedbumps. I added some on a one ton setup and worked great, simple and effective. I.e.
standard.jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
The other thing I "learned" from hanging at the off-road fab shop is they don't believe anything is "bolt on". Even an EVO or terra flex long arm bolt on kit- they just weld it all in.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The other thing I "learned" from hanging at the off-road fab shop is they don't believe anything is "bolt on". Even an EVO or terra flex long arm bolt on kit- they just weld it all in.

Correct. To install a long arm kit, you will need to cut & grind metal, and reweld the exhaust. While you are at it, it's very easy and makes since to just weld in the new brackets.

BBrown626

I have the EVO bolt-on coilovers, about 3-4" lift, and short arms (adjustable front lower and rear upper). I have been pretty happy with the setup, but they are not going to allow you to run over speed bumps and not notice them. I can hit the speed bumps faster and more comfortably in my Corolla! Disconnect the sway bar and hit the trails and the coilovers are fantastic. If your spending all your time on the road maybe softer coil springs are all you need.

geberhard

Douchebag
Yep I have never seen a long arm bolt on kit, they actually do not exist as far as I know. You will need tochop your stock short arm mounts.

I woudl go with a better bumpstop as mentioned, no need to drop high coin a a system that wll be overkill for that 1% offroad time. Check out the coil inserts or a tera type bump and have fun!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yep I have never seen a long arm bolt on kit, they actually do not exist as far as I know. You will need tochop your stock short arm mounts.

I woudl go with a better bumpstop as mentioned, no need to drop high coin a a system that wll be overkill for that 1% offroad time. Check out the coil inserts or a tera type bump and have fun!

Offroad evolution makes a bolt on long arm kit.

Full traction makes a bolt on long arm kit.

Those are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Top Bottom