Replacing ball joints

JKUR-08

Hey everyone, so as soon as I can spend the money to get a jack that will reach my jeep, I am planning on installing my RCV axle shafts. The thing is, I want to replace my ball joints as well. While I don't think they are shot, my Jeep gets violent over train tracks, bumps and potholes. While I am going to take Eddie's advice and get my tires balanced this week, I figure it wouldn't hurt to replace them anyways considering they're old with over 110k miles on them and I will have everything off already anyways. My question to all of you is what brand should I go with? The odds that my C's (not reinforced) after all this time with 35's will more then likely be slightly bent, which makes the Dynatrac problematic if I have to modify anything to fit them with the RCV shafts (which Dynatrac recommends NOT doing anyways) kind of takes them out of the list. Any insight will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

WJCO

Meme King
With 110k on it, they probably are worn out, but I would at least check them. No sense in replacing something that's not broken.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
With 110k on it, they probably are worn out, but I would at least check them. No sense in replacing something that's not broken.

X2, I would check first also making sure nothing else is wore out that might need to be replaced first.

JKUR-08

X2, I would check first also making sure nothing else is wore out that might need to be replaced first.

Alright will do, thanks gents. Is there anything in particular you'd recommend checking explicitly? Or just generally check everything? As far as I can tell (the Jeep had one previous owner) the majority of pieces are stock short of a budget lift, wheel spacers, and some cosmetic stuff.

I'd also check the camber if you're worried about having bent C's

This is something I will do this afternoon, thank you for reminding me to check that.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
110k, it's a safe bet. I haven't had factory set last more than 50k on any of my jeeps.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Is there anything in particular you'd recommend checking explicitly?

Movement in the ball joints, hub bearings, tie rod ends, drag link ends that go into the pitman arm and pass side knuckle as well as movement of the adjusting collar of the drag link, track bar.

If everything is good you will want to check the torque of everything as well. I try to do this at each oil change and after each time out playing. A paint stick to mark the bolts will help this.

Hey everyone, so as soon as I can spend the money to get a jack that will reach my jeep, I am planning on installing my RCV axle shafts. The thing is, I want to replace my ball joints as well. While I don't think they are shot, my Jeep gets violent over train tracks, bumps and potholes. While I am going to take Eddie's advice and get my tires balanced this week, I figure it wouldn't hurt to replace them anyways considering they're old with over 110k miles on them and I will have everything off already anyways. My question to all of you is what brand should I go with? The odds that my C's (not reinforced) after all this time with 35's will more then likely be slightly bent, which makes the Dynatrac problematic if I have to modify anything to fit them with the RCV shafts (which Dynatrac recommends NOT doing anyways) kind of takes them out of the list. Any insight will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Our current HD ball joints are low profile design, so you shouldn't have any problem installing them with your RCVs. The part about us not recommending our ball joints with RCVs is no longer true.

Brute

Hooked
Our current HD ball joints are low profile design, so you shouldn't have any problem installing them with your RCVs. The part about us not recommending our ball joints with RCVs is no longer true.

I have Dynatrac BJ's with my RCV's...they work fine...and they are the best you can get, and are rebuildable...

JoeB-JKURX

Dyntrac Prosteers and RCVs

I don't think that the OP was talking about a conflict between the RCVs and the Prosteers but rather was thinking he may need angle correcting ball joints to account for his bent Cs.

Top Bottom