Relocation question

JethroJK

Well this might be a weird question but I thought I might see if anyone in the San Diego area might know about a place to live around the June timeframe.

I am active duty Navy and will be relocating to Point Loma, CA in June. Unfortunately my family will not be going with me so I need to find a place to call home for about 18 months. I have looked around at rental sites but thought I might throw out a forum post just to see what responses I got back.

Additionally I plan on doing the modifications to my 2012 JKU Rubi while over that way. Since I am going to be by myself I will have the time to do this. Hopefully I can make a trip up to Evolution and check out the shop, hell maybe even get some work done there.

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Eddie :rock:

StrizzyChris

I travel all around the country and move up to three times a year. I have had the best luck on Craigslist. They have rooms, apartments and all the way to fully furnished homes for rent on there. Worth checking out.

Lane87

Your base housing office should give you 10 days to find an apartment and will give you a list of military friendly realtors to contact.

Lane87

I have never heard that term before. Do you have to pay a special soldier deposit and cleaning fee? :thinking: :bleh:

Well in the army they have a list of approved realtors. Not much difference except they have to pass an inspection and the lease is looked over by the housing office...

Skid_Kid

Well this might be a weird question but I thought I might see if anyone in the San Diego area might know about a place to live around the June timeframe.

I am active duty Navy and will be relocating to Point Loma, CA in June. Unfortunately my family will not be going with me so I need to find a place to call home for about 18 months. I have looked around at rental sites but thought I might throw out a forum post just to see what responses I got back.

Additionally I plan on doing the modifications to my 2012 JKU Rubi while over that way. Since I am going to be by myself I will have the time to do this. Hopefully I can make a trip up to Evolution and check out the shop, hell maybe even get some work done there.

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Eddie :rock:

Your best bet out here is to just rent a room from somebody in the area. Use craigslist or roommates.com. That is what I used to do in the past when I was single and it saved me money. Cali is way to expensive to try and live on your own and support a family in another location on Military pay.

JethroJK

Your base housing office should give you 10 days to find an apartment and will give you a list of military friendly realtors to contact.

Yes, the housing office does do this but AHRN gives you listings in the area as well. With 20 years in the Navy I am familiar with the hunt for housing. Unfortunately this is the first time I am doing it alone, aka, "Geo Bachelor". I appreciate the responses. I didn't think about Craigslist or roommates.com, that is new territory to look over.

My friend that lives there in the same situation have a 5th wheel trailer he lives in at a RV park but I want to take the JKU out there and haven't found a trailer I am welling on living in for 18 months that is big enough that the Jeep will pull.

Again, I appreciate the responses, keep um' coming...

JethroJK

Your best bet out here is to just rent a room from somebody in the area. Use craigslist or roommates.com. That is what I used to do in the past when I was single and it saved me money. Cali is way to expensive to try and live on your own and support a family in another location on Military pay.

Wow, I got onto craigslist and found some pretty nice places. Don't know how much of a scam they are but I will have to check them out. Roommates.com was also pretty nice. I will have to focus in on that site a little more over the next couple of months. Just weird moving without family. They have moved with me to every place over the last 20 years.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wow, I got onto craigslist and found some pretty nice places. Don't know how much of a scam they are but I will have to check them out. Roommates.com was also pretty nice. I will have to focus in on that site a little more over the next couple of months. Just weird moving without family. They have moved with me to every place over the last 20 years.

If you have questions about the areas places are in let me know. Unless you want to live in the hood. :cheesy:

JethroJK

If you have questions about the areas places are in let me know. Unless you want to live in the hood. :cheesy:

I will hit you up when I get a few places in mind. Going out there in April to look around and then move in June. Thanks for the offer, I will definitely ask you.

:thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah ocean beach is cool. More hippies then anything and there are quite a few bums but I have friends down there and I like it. Just expensive as its so close to the beach. Also unless you have a parking spot parking will suck. And you will hit traffic in the morning leaving the beach.

JethroJK

Yeah ocean beach is cool. More hippies then anything and there are quite a few bums but I have friends down there and I like it. Just expensive as its so close to the beach. Also unless you have a parking spot parking will suck. And you will hit traffic in the morning leaving the beach.

Cool, thanks for the info. Do you have any other suggestions around Point Loma?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Cool, thanks for the info. Do you have any other suggestions around Point Loma?

Point Loma itself has some nice areas and is mostly nice. Mission Hills is really nice and anywhere that is pretty good too. Are you still looking to just rent a room? If so what is your price range? That would help a little bit. Clairemont is a little bit farther away, although not too far, and is nice as well. You should be able to find something there for fairly cheap as its a bit farther away from the beach but still close enough.

JethroJK

Awesome info. Yes renting a room is the plan. I have 900 budgeted for the room and utilities. I have found plenty in the price range but didn't know which locations but your advice is much appreciated. I will be out there in April to look around. Thanks again.

Top Bottom