Bent C on 14' Dana 30.. Now what?

JK_Bbargers

Well, I gon' done bent a C on my Dana 30 with 37s. Don't wheel it very hard and only once a month or so. What can be done? The ball joint isn't seating into the knuckle and I'm worried about future problems. Lesson learned: LISTEN TO THOSE WHO HAVE MADE THE MISTAKE BEFORE.

Ctimrun

IMO time for a new housing. Should be able to obtain a takeoff housing for not too much. Obviously make sure the new one has C gussets or step up and fork out the $$$ for a heavier duty aftermarket axle.

JK_Bbargers

IMO time for a new housing. Should be able to obtain a takeoff housing for not too much. Obviously make sure the new one has C gussets or step up and fork out the $$$ for a heavier duty aftermarket axle.

Would grab a HD aftermarket one in a heartbeat but the budget is limited right now!

OJK12

It might not be bent real bad, do you know exactly how bent it is? They do make offset ball joints for this reason. If it's not real bad weld in some gussets and run an offset ball joint until you can upgrade your housing. This is just an option there may be better options available

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Contact Dana. According the the Dana rep I spoke with at EJS last month they have NEVER seen a bent C. They are looking for one. That's why their new Ultimate 44 still has the old style C's on them.
http://spicerparts.com/products/axle/automotive/ultimate-44

:cheesy: Yeah, I've been told the same thing. Guess my eyes have been deceiving me over the last 9+ years and I guess companies that make gussets have all just been looking for a way to make an easy buck rather than offer a real product that was developed to address a legitimate problem. I suppose the axle tubes that I've seen break in half and spin due to crappy plug welds or the control arm brackets that I've seen tear off were just my imagination too. I mean, if a Dana rep says they've never seen any problems, it must be true :crazyeyes:

BTW, since it's missed by so many people, this so called "Ultimate" 44 is still just running Dana 30 tubes as in, they're still just 2.5" in diameter. I guess the guys at Dana think that an additional 1/16" of tube thickness will make it all right. :yup:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: Yeah, I've been told the same thing. Guess my eyes have been deceiving me over the last 9+ years and I guess companies that make gussets have all just been looking for a way to make an easy buck rather than offer a real product that was developed to address a legitimate problem. I suppose the axle tubes that I've seen break in half and spin due to crappy plug welds or the control arm brackets that I've seen tear off were just my imagination too. I mean, if a Dana rep says they've never seen any problems, it must be true :crazyeyes:

BTW, since it's missed by so many people, this so called "Ultimate" 44 is still just running Dana 30 tubes as in, they're still just 2.5" in diameter. I guess the guys at Dana think that an additional 1/16" of tube thickness will make it all right. :yup:

I was told by a Dana rep that the housing for the UD44 is licensed from Mopar as they own the design. Hence why it is identical to a rubicon 44 housing.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I was told by a Dana rep that the housing for the UD44 is licensed from Mopar as they own the design. Hence why it is identical to a rubicon 44 housing.

It's actually the housing used on the J8. That's it. Like eddie said the tubes are a tad thicker. The did add thicker brackets but same C's etc.

Jeepfan30

Well, I gon' done bent a C on my Dana 30 with 37s. Don't wheel it very hard and only once a month or so. What can be done? The ball joint isn't seating into the knuckle and I'm worried about future problems. Lesson learned: LISTEN TO THOSE WHO HAVE MADE THE MISTAKE BEFORE.

Was there a specific hard hit that you think did this? I have EVO C's on mine already, just curious if this was a single specific event that bent yours.

mds22

If $$ is a issue, Why not just get a D30 housing and use all your old stuff in it. I see them get thrown away all the time. Not best option but it may be the cheapest.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I know you are on the other side of the states but I have a D30 I will be ditching in the next couple weeks. 5.13's, gussets, sleeves, control arm skids, new ball joints. Shipping is possible.

JK_Bbargers

Was there a specific hard hit that you think did this? I have EVO C's on mine already, just curious if this was a single specific event that bent yours.

I don't have the slightest clue as to when or how long ago it happened. Long enough the form thick surface rust on the bare metal where the paint chipped.

Top Bottom