CB Gremlins

Slimebones

I hope someone can help me. I have an '07 JK. CB radio is Cobra 75 WXST. When I "key" the mic, simultaneously all the dash lights, headlights, wipers, etc, cycle "on" for one cycle. Each time. I have tried to do my research but come up empty. I have made sure all grounds are good, replaced the coax with the better shielded version, have changed the location from in the glove box to the center console area at arm rest. SWR's at 1.1 Any ideas? Thanks in advance for sure

mule

The center of my gauge cluster would light up like a Christmas tree. After messing around some, I replaced all the bolts that secured the CB antennae with stainless steel - and everything was good.

No more everything lighting up. So I thought mine was grounded well, but nope. This fixed.

Hope this is helpful.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Do you have the antenna separately grounded? How did you run your coax? Is your CB power a direct line to your battery or did you piggy back power (or the fuse box)?

Last edited:

Slimebones

Do you have the antenna separately grounded? How did you run your coax? Is your CB power a direct line to your battery or did you piggy back power (or the fuse box)?

Yes I ran a direct ground from the antenna mount to the tub (via a braided ground strap). The power is run directly from the battery, The routing was also of concern, that is why I moved the unit from the glove box to it's current location. The coax runs along the right side of tub and behind the passenger seat. Would there be a better routing?

Slimebones

I should add that this symptom is very intermittent which is making it even more difficult to diagnose since I can make a change and not know if it made a difference. I can go a long distance with no problem and then mysteriously it happens again. Not knowing if that change actually made a difference. Has anyone had this type a thing happen?

Slimebones

Try this... pick up 2 ferrite snap choke cores from radio shack, install one on the coax cable as close to the antenna as possible and install the second one around the ground and power wire to the radio. Should solve the problem...

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-snap-together-ferrite-choke-core?variant=5717359621
Sound like a good suggestion. since this does sound like an RFI issue. What is strange is that it is so intermittent. I will give the choke cores a try. Thanks for the reply

Slimebones

Sound like a good suggestion. since this does sound like an RFI issue. What is strange is that it is so intermittent. I will give the choke cores a try. Thanks for the reply

I really had high hopes the choke cores would be the solution. Regretfully not!!:thinking::hmm:

Top Bottom