What is this leak?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a coolant leak, does anyone know exactly what the cause is and repair steps are?

Can you elaborate the breakdown of the work involved by steps?

Thanks in advance!

Watch the video > https://youtu.be/O8pzRw36rVg

Lower intake manifold gasket is what I see. Pull everything on top and go to town. Make sure you follow torque specs and procedures for the manifold.

EDIT: Also change the engine oil and filter. With the leak being that bad, it may have gotten into some oil passages, not sure how the drainback passages work on that motor.

Last edited:

UNLIMITED_FUN

Roger that, thx!

The oil still looks pristine, but it's nothing to change it anyways.

Pull everything still sounds vague. I've pulled them before and had to remove valve stuff and 8 bolts, then put back 8 bolts and re tune. Are the valves on these auto correcting, whatever the term is?

WJCO

Meme King
Roger that, thx!

The oil still looks pristine, but it's nothing to change it anyways.

Pull everything still sounds vague. I've pulled them before and had to remove valve stuff and 8 bolts, then put back 8 bolts and re tune. Are the valves on these auto correcting, whatever the term is?

You shouldn't have to pull the valves. Just pull the airbox, plenum, etc and all that stuff on top. Then the intake manifold bolts. I would also suggest checking that manifold for warpage, hopefully you don't have a broken bolt. That's a big leak. How many miles on the engine?

Looks like part #15 is your leak:

i2167699.jpg

Last edited:

UNLIMITED_FUN

It's right at 90k. To my knowledge the engine has never been over heated, not the coolant low. In order to even get to to the bolts to check torque, I have to remove all the peripherals, so from there it's another hour to replace the gasket and re bead etc.

The mechanic also suggested removing the timing chain cover, I can't decide of that's required or a suggestion.

I have a lot to do before a long trip and not sure if I want to tackle both this and the gear box issues myself. I guess it depends on the shop charges.

WJCO

Meme King
It's right at 90k. To my knowledge the engine has never been over heated, not the coolant low. In order to even get to to the bolts to check torque, I have to remove all the peripherals, so from there it's another hour to replace the gasket and re bead etc.

The mechanic also suggested removing the timing chain cover, I can't decide of that's required or a suggestion.

I have a lot to do before a long trip and not sure if I want to tackle both this and the gear box issues myself. I guess it depends on the shop charges.

It's a fairly big job. As far as checking bolts, I meant that once you tear it down, I hope you don't find any broken bolts. It just seems like the leak you have would have had some prior seepage first, that's a big leak that just randomly let out. Hopefully it's just a gasket and nothing else. I don't see why you would need to remove the timing cover. I'll get you a labor time in a minute. What year is your Jeep?

EDIT: NVM, found your year in the video title.

WJCO

Meme King
AllData says 2.1 hours for the lower intake, that's really not that bad. I thought it would be more.

And timing cover is over 4 hours book time, and doesn't overlap with the intake. I see no reason myself for removal of the timing cover.

WJCO

Meme King
I would call a dealer for a quote. If you decide to not do it yourself, 300 dollars really isn't that bad and you'll get a tech who has probably done multiple ones and will know of any issues and do it right.

UNLIMITED_FUN

Hey thanks for that!

IMHO the hardest part of this is just reaching the $#@! parts! I have to stand on something to get back there or lay on the top of the radiator etc. IDK what the shop cost will be, but I do know a guy on craigslist that helped me change plugs and cops on a lifted rig before, and he charged $50hr, and he's taller. I suppose the two of us could knock this and the gear box stuff out in good time.

Also since the fuel rail needs to be removed, it might behoove me to spray the injectors.

Hey, what coolant do you use? What color, mix brand etc?

UNLIMITED_FUN

I spoke with the dealership, that post is mostly correct but the jug does not have a blue lid, that's stale info.

The 2009 does require 1.5 gl of HOAT called "5 YEAR COOLANT", not to be confused with the "10 YEAR COOLANT".

The 2gl costs $55 from the dealership and not available at most\any auto parts stores.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I spoke with the dealership, that post is mostly correct but the jug does not have a blue lid, that's stale info.

The 2009 does require 1.5 gl of HOAT called "5 YEAR COOLANT", not to be confused with the "10 YEAR COOLANT".

The 2gl costs $55 from the dealership and not available at most\any auto parts stores.

What price did they give you regarding the intake gasket R&R ?

UNLIMITED_FUN

Thanks.

Hells bells, I just did the ball joints, u-joints and wheel bearing assemblies and need to replace the rear calipers and pads and handle the steering gear box issues. The list goes on.

Top Bottom