Auto Insurance for Mods or Modifications - Extra Insurance

jkjurny

So I've been doing searches on this, and as usual, everyone had different experiences. I took the risk and called my insurance company because I wanted all my parts insured in the event that my JK was stolen or totaled in a regular street accident.

My first phone call with my carrier went very well. They said that they will cover up to $10,000 in modifications, and it was gonna run me an extra $15 a month or so. They also told me that they didn't have any limits on the lift height of the vehicle. The only thing they wouldn't cover in my list was the tires.

So, I dropped off my JK at 4wheelparts last week to get my kit installed.

On Wednesday, I faxed my insurance carrier my receipts for all the things I wanted covered. I then received a phone call and email that, due to these parts being associated with off-roading, they wouldn't cover it!!! I was upset that I even brought this up with them.

I called them yesterday (Thursday), and said that I don't plan on claiming any damage due to off-roading. I just want coverage for theft and a regular street accident. If they want, they can remove the lift from being covered, but I want my wheels, bumpers, winch, and lights covered.

I'm glad to say that today, they emailed me back and will cover everything, including the lift. Here is what will get covered (Filed the email so that I have evidence). My auto carrier is Liberty Mutual:

Teraflex 3" LCG Elite w/ Speedbumps and Fox Shocks
Terraflex Tailgate Reinforcement Kit
Rugged Ridge Wheels
RSE Bombshell Axle Kit
Poison Syder Front Brawler Mid-width Bumper
Poison Spyder Rear Brawler Bumper
Cost of Powder Coat for Bumpers
Warn Zeon 10-s Winch

I'm glad so far it works out. Hopefully, I won't ever have to file a claim, but if I do, I guess, that is when I'll know for sure that I get the coverage.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Good job on dealing with this before you needed the coverage or you wouldn't of had coverage for the mods. I'm scared to bring it up with mine because of what they might say.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Good job on coverage! Trust me you never know when you will need it. Its great to here they will insure it all. :whew:

Bessie

Most current auto insurance policies are written to return the vehicle to stock (the way is rolled off the assembly line). It does not automatically include dealer upgrades or changes. Our auto policy only included $1000.00 for coverage of aftermarket parts. Anything else needs to be endorsed to the policy. They will endorse upto $10,000 in changes.

JKU EXTREME

That's awesome I honestly had no idea that that was an option, I guess I'll start looking into that before I get too crazy with my jk

Sent from JKU EXTREME from his Wayalife iPhone app

jeeeep

Hooked
my insurance covered all my mods after another jeep I had was totaled by a drunk driver running a light. All I had to do was show receipts.
They did not cover the tires but let me recover them since it was a total.

Bessie

my insurance covered all my mods after another jeep I had was totaled by a drunk driver running a light. All I had to do was show receipts.
They did not cover the tires but let me recover them since it was a total.

Did your insurance pay or the other guy's insurance. It makes a difference in the way the claim is handled.

projectMMTB

Yesterday my girlfriend and I were in a pretty bad car accident but thankfully her and I walked away with nothing except a really sore body, concussion, and seat belt burns. Unfortunately her car was totaled and thankfully the dumbass who was texting and driving car was totaled also🖕🏽
This got me thinking:
What if this happens to my car when it gets out of the shop not just totaled but even if I get rear ended???Am I going to loose possibly THOUSANDS of dollars in parts??? Is there any way to cover specific aftermarket parts fully or even partially in case of an accident???
I have State Farm insurance if that means anything

I just really hate the thought of loosing all the money and time I've put into my jeep

coop9779

Typically if you document all the aftermarket parts with your insurance company then they will cover it. But you have to do it before the accident. This can sometimes cause your insurance to go up also. Depends on the company.

WJCO

Meme King
Yesterday my girlfriend and I were in a pretty bad car accident but thankfully her and I walked away with nothing except a really sore body, concussion, and seat belt burns. Unfortunately her car was totaled and thankfully the dumbass who was texting and driving car was totaled also
This got me thinking:
What if this happens to my car when it gets out of the shop not just totaled but even if I get rear ended???Am I going to loose possibly THOUSANDS of dollars in parts??? Is there any way to cover specific aftermarket parts fully or even partially in case of an accident???

I just really hate the thought of loosing all the money and time I've put into my jeep

I believe aftermarket parts are covered to a certain extent. I've always had good luck just filing them with the claim with no issues. Adjuster comes out and takes photos to prove they are damaged. With that being said, they weren't really expensive parts. Also, if you have a shop replacing them, the labor is usually covered. That's been my experience. But to be sure, I would talk to an insurance agent to be safe.

Jeepnoub

As long as you keep receipts for everything, you will get some sort of compensation. Probably not full price, but what they determine the values are. You won't get labor charges back. Atleast that's how it worked for me with my camaro, that was also covered by state farm at the time

Benito

Caught the Bug
This topic has been discussed on here plenty of times and it has never come down to a definitive answer. You will remain as lost as you were when you first started this thread. Many will say that their agent told them to just keep receipts/proof, others have bought supplemental add ons that will cover a set amount over the value of the vehicle, some policies have a set amount of coverage for aftermarket parts. Big piece of advice is to get everything in writing. A lot of folks have had good experiences with State Farm, but that doesn't mean you will.

rogerk93

Yesterday my girlfriend and I were in a pretty bad car accident but thankfully her and I walked away with nothing except a really sore body, concussion, and seat belt burns. Unfortunately her car was totaled and thankfully the dumbass who was texting and driving car was totaled also🖕🏽
This got me thinking:

I switched to State Farm for this reason in its own. Before I made the switch I talked to the agent and explained to them that my jeep is modified and told them the cost I have into it so far. They asked for a copy of all my receipts and told me to save future receipts and I'm cover for it all except labor cost. It's a good thing I install all my parts on my own.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I switched to State Farm for this reason in its own. Before I made the switch I talked to the agent and explained to them that my jeep is modified and told them the cost I have into it so far. They asked for a copy of all my receipts and told me to save future receipts and I'm cover for it all except labor cost. It's a good thing I install all my parts on my own.

Do you have that in writing?

jeeeep

Hooked
most insurance companies carry a rider to cover aftermarket parts but you need to ask and show proof with receipts. they may send an adjuster to verify. it does add more to your insurance, depends on the overall value.
call your insurance and discuss, most of the 1st level people that answer the phones don't know this exists so be sure to talk to the actual agent.

Ddays

Hooked
My Jeep was in an accident 2 weeks after I installed my new axles. I was able to drive from the accident and I stopped at my insurance agent's office on the way home with the Jeep.
He said everything would be covered and even though it was in & out of the shop for 4 months, State Farm paid for every piece that was needed. They replaced the front bumper, winch,
rear axle shaft (weird since its a PR60 and the PR44 front didn't get a damn scratch) plus the other damaged stock pieces, including the frame to the tune of $12k. You should be OK.

Edit: I do not have an aftermarket rider. I provided receipts & no questions were asked.

WJCO

Meme King
Anybody used Geico for this type of request? Good experience?

I have never used Geico. Every time the little Gecko comes on TV telling me how much I can save, when I actually call Geico, it's always a more expensive quote than the competitors, lol. Just my experience. After 3 tries, I gave up.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Call State Farm and read the product disclosure statement if you have those. I insured mine for an agreed value which means if the jeep is written off they pay that amount regardless of modifications

Top Bottom