Suspected Sticking Front Brake Caliper

SMorris

New to Jeeps I have only had mine for about a month. Just curious to know if this is a common problem? My JKU is an 08 with just under 75k. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance for any information provided!

Shawn

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Have you removed your caliper and checked the caliper slide bolts? Make sure they aren't damaged, if not lube them and see if you have the same issue.

SMorris

I just bought the jeep a few weeks ago so I am just starting to go through all of the maintenance items thoroughly. Looks like I have a Sunday morning project!

Thanks for the recommendation.

jeeeep

Hooked
New to Jeeps I have only had mine for about a month. Just curious to know if this is a common problem? My JKU is an 08 with just under 75k. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance for any information provided!

Shawn

if you live in a winter state or if the Jeep came from a winter state, it's common - same goes for any car in winter states.

Check the slider as recommended and also pull the wheel and take a look at the caliper pistons

this may help:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...eizing-sticking/page2&highlight=brake+caliper

Heavyhaul07

When you check your brakes. If the inside pad is worn way more than the outside pad it's a good indication that u could have a sticky caliper. If the out side pad is worn more than the inside significantly than its in the caliper slides. Do not use antisieze on brake parts as it gets hard under the heat of the brakes and gums up and causes things to stick. I've have been having good luck with sil slide from Napa. I lubed the caliper slides and also the brake pads where they slide on the caliper mounts.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
You can do a quick check with a laser thermometer too. After a test drive with moderate braking, get out and laser each brake rotor. The odd one out will be your problem area

Rhameolution

Not sure how relevant this is, but we had the same issue on our 08 KK after 65k miles. In traffic and heat our front left caliper would stick - uneven wear on the inboard and outboard pads. I ended up changing all brake pads (they all needed it anyways), replaced both front calipers and bled the entire system. Works like a charm now - the local shop quoted us nearly $2,000 for an entire new brake system (rotors and lines too) but I feel like I got away with murder only spending about $200 and my blood sweat and tears.

SMorris

When I took everything apart Sunday I found that all of the lubricants for the braking system had either dried up or were washed off during the make ready prep for putting the Jeep out on the car lot. Pad wear seemed even. I took everything apart cleaned and lubed them and then went for a short drive. Everything seemed ok. I plan to make a little longer drive this weekend to see if lubrication of the moving parts solved the problem. Thanks for all of the input!

SMorris

Finally had a chance to take a longer drive after taking the system apart and lubricating the system. Things seemed better but I think the front brakes are still running a little warm. I have searched here didn't find anything and even googled it, but was unable to get consistent information. What kind of rotor temperatures are you guys seeing after a 30 minute mixed city/highway cruise?

SMorris

Wasn't satisfied with the temps I was still getting while driving. But the bullet and replaced rotors, calipers, and pads. Seems to have cured the temperature issue.

jeeeep

Hooked
Finally had a chance to take a longer drive after taking the system apart and lubricating the system. Things seemed better but I think the front brakes are still running a little warm. I have searched here didn't find anything and even googled it, but was unable to get consistent information. What kind of rotor temperatures are you guys seeing after a 30 minute mixed city/highway cruise?

you're measuring your rotor temperatures?

I though I was OCD but guess I'm not lol, what type of braking issues were you having to make you think to measure rotor temperature?

SMorris

I got out of it a couple weeks after driving across town and I could smell that the brakes were hotter than they should be considering. I checked them after the return trip home and the rotors were right at 400 degrees.

jeeeep

Hooked
ah gotcha, from the caliper not releasing enough to allow the bake pad to clear the rotor - makes sense now.

WJCO

Meme King
It's been awhile since I've checked them, but sitting in the driveway after shutting off the Jeep, I recall them being around 150-200 F. When I've had a suspected sticking brake in the past, the failure area will be a ton different, like 100 degrees different or more.

Top Bottom