Tie rod adjusting sleeve - tie rod end wiggle

UNLIMITED_FUN

Last year I asked Firestone to do a front end alignment and they mangled the adjusting sleeve saying they couldn't get it loosened. I bought a new one, same form factor as the old one and they used it in the alignment and gave me the truck back.

Since then I've been trying to track down some anomalous knuckley sounds and play. THEY said they couldn't find anything.

Forward to this past week. I had the rig on a rack at another shop, and they reached up and grabbed the tie rod end and wiggle wiggle wiggle "this shouldn't do that".

So for all I know, this has been loose since Firestone gave it back to me last year. Today I make them put it on the appropriate rack to get the wheels free and sure enough wiggle wiggle wiggle.

They guy said "oh I think something is bent, maybe the knuckle" and "I'll try to tighten it but I may just strip the outer bite again".

In the end he said he couldn't tighten the sleeve and that I needed a heavier duty solution. So why the hell didn't they say that LAST YEAR. /rhetorical

My choice seems to be another threaded sleeve with a HEX head on it, or the longer double clamp "tie rod adjusting sleeve" like the MOPAR® Steering Linkage Adjuster Assembly or some HEAVY DUTY after market something by AEV or TeraFlax.

Since I have 315s on this I need to rock solid "get it the hell done and done" logging road worthy solution, hopefully one that doesn't break the bank.

Ideas, thoughts, experiences, sound advice?

Thank in advance!

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
the stock tie-rod on my 2010 always had some play in it and I could hear it thud when it would flop - more so when stopping or backing up. I could easily move it by hand, this was with stock tires. FYI I can also move the tie-rod on the 2015 fairly easy.

The 2010 was fine with the 315's and with the 37's until I got hit then it got replaced with synergy and recently replaced with steer smarts.

if you're looking for something with less flop, I'd look at Currie, I think Rubicon Express released a HD tie-rod or SteerSmarts.

I'm going to have a Synergy with the mis-alignment boots up for sale soon if the current pending sale falls through.

Check this out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?32126-WAYALIFE-2015-SEMA-Show-RECAP

If it were me, if all you're hearing is the occasional thud of the stock tie rod I'd deal with it and save that money for other upgrades

Solar Dude

The drag link on my 2012 seems even loser and more prone to clanking and rattling. At some I would like to figure out a fix for both. It drives me to drive drive down a washboard road and have those things rattling around.

UNLIMITED_FUN

IDK if the junction had play in it before Firestone mangled the old sleeve off or not, only that I made them replace it with the duplicate that I bought new.

More than one person has stated that there is play at the sleeve, however it doesn't seem like these would be threaded parts of there were supposed to move.

See the rusty sleeve to the left? The bar going in to this is where the play is.

So . . . replace with different form factor sleeve of some type, or don't worry about it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
IDK if the junction had play in it before Firestone mangled the old sleeve off or not, only that I made them replace it with the duplicate that I bought new.

More than one person has stated that there is play at the sleeve, however it doesn't seem like these would be threaded parts of there were supposed to move.

See the rusty sleeve to the left? The bar going in to this is where the play is.

So . . . replace with different form factor sleeve of some type, or don't worry about it.

Did you take the picture with a Polaroid?

UNLIMITED_FUN

I see you enjoy being the resident smartass, hows that working out for you? Real satisfaction, or the hallow feeling that you constantly need more? :bleh:

Cell cam on low quality setting is good enough.

jeeeep

Hooked

is that a Mopar OEM tie-rod adjustment sleeve?

UNLIMITED_FUN

It's a Crown product. When I searched for the same sleeve replacement this was the closest match form factor. When I asked about sleeves I was told "they're all the same Chinese crap" so I bought this on Prime with 2 day shipping. It indeed smelled like Chinese crap.

There is a longer sleeve with 2 bolts and perhaps this is a better design to cinch this shit down. There's also a sleeve that has a hex head on it, at least you can really wrench on that one.

UNLIMITED_FUN

I'm not mad. Why U quote the post directly above your reply? So many mysteries about you indeed. You seem like a complicated individual. I'm sorry for your issues.

jeeeep

Hooked
It's a Crown product. When I searched for the same sleeve replacement this was the closest match form factor. When I asked about sleeves I was told "they're all the same Chinese crap" so I bought this on Prime with 2 day shipping. It indeed smelled like Chinese crap.

There is a longer sleeve with 2 bolts and perhaps this is a better design to cinch this shit down. There's also a sleeve that has a hex head on it, at least you can really wrench on that one.

that's probably your issue, Crown replacement are hit or miss I've found they rarely fit like they should.

I've been buying OEM parts from here, they usually have the best price versus local dealers and free shipping on most all items - and it should fit properly.

http://www.stevewhiteparts.com/jeep...linkage-scat/?part_name=drag-link-adjust-tube

I've never seen any of the hex head sleeves so can't speak to their fit/quality, who makes them and where are they made?

mdrums

How do you like the Steer Smarts tie rod? I'm considering it because you do not have to drill and weaken the knuckle.

I'm not one to wait till something gets bad or breaks and have been considering upgrading my tie rod and drag link. 2015 JKUR 2.5 Rock Krawler on 17" 35's...nothing extreme.

the stock tie-rod on my 2010 always had some play in it and I could hear it thud when it would flop - more so when stopping or backing up. I could easily move it by hand, this was with stock tires. FYI I can also move the tie-rod on the 2015 fairly easy.

The 2010 was fine with the 315's and with the 37's until I got hit then it got replaced with synergy and recently replaced with steer smarts.

if you're looking for something with less flop, I'd look at Currie, I think Rubicon Express released a HD tie-rod or SteerSmarts.

I'm going to have a Synergy with the mis-alignment boots up for sale soon if the current pending sale falls through.

Check this out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?32126-WAYALIFE-2015-SEMA-Show-RECAP

If it were me, if all you're hearing is the occasional thud of the stock tie rod I'd deal with it and save that money for other upgrades

Top Bottom