Rear winch bumped

Bandit1

Hey guy looking for some advice on a rear winch bumper
I did some research and only for one company that makes them I think it was Olympic named the smuggler
Anyone have any experience with these pros and cons thanks guys
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461477337.627146.jpg
Wanting to know how the winch spool lever will interfere with the end gate
And rear tire
?!?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guy looking for some advice on a rear winch bumper
I did some research and only for one company that makes them I think it was Olympic named the smuggler
Anyone have any experience with these pros and cons thanks guys

Wanting to know how the winch spool lever will interfere with the end gate
And rear tire
?!?

Exactly where in IL or anywhere in the US do you go wheeling that you'd really feel the need for a rear winch? Or, are you just wanting one because it looks cool? :idontknow:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Exactly where in IL or anywhere in the US do you go wheeling that you'd really feel the need for a rear winch? Or, are you just wanting one because it looks cool? :idontknow:

I was thinking the same thing. ^^^^
Guys who wheel everyday don't usually have a rear winch. Maybe a tow truck or work vehicle.

Bandit1

I go wheeling by myself sometimes in some tight places
Like having that option available if I would need a winch in back
Where my only option is going backwards when stuck
As far as looks cool that don't do anything for me

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
One of the guys I work with only uses his jeep to get around on the properties he hunts at and is planning on mounting a winch in his rear bumper only. Not on the front as his attitude is that if he gets stuck he'd rather go back than forward and find another way through.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not trying to be facetious but, like where? I have never seen anyone in anyplace here in America where going backward was your only option and a rear winch was needed. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler and I never go wheeling, let alone by myself, in really tights places and where you're 100 miles from the nearest pavement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the guys I work with only uses his jeep to get around on the properties he hunts at and is planning on mounting a winch in his rear bumper only. Not on the front as his attitude is that if he gets stuck he'd rather go back than forward and find another way through.

Getting out of your Jeep, walking the obstacle and seeing what's beyond it BEFORE you try to take it on works pretty well too.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not trying to be facetious but, like where? I have never seen anyone in anyplace here in America where going backward was your only option and a rear winch was needed. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler and I never go wheeling, let alone by myself, in really tights places and where you're 100 miles from the nearest pavement.

Wet dry lake beds are about the only place I can think of. Lol

Bandit1

Private land with timber in central Illinois
It has a trail cut thru it with some deep mud holes
Nothing special like what you guys get to do in your videos
Only place around me that has a off-road park is called The Cliffs insane terrain
But it's about an hour away
Don't get to go as much as I would like
Pretty off camber stuff riding there
Thanks for all the info guys [emoji106]

Zhouse

No, I don’t have a Jeep so I will not comment on a rear Jeep bumper types for a winch, but that is an awesome idea with zero disadvantages except for weight. As long as its high enough then it will not interfere with ground clearance, so if money is not an issue then having two winches in the bumpers, front and rear, will by far outperform any other Jeep with only one front winch when traveling alone. How could anyone dispute that? I’m sure somebody will try as it is entertaining.

I have a Warn Zeon 10s Multi-Mount hitch setup which has pros and cons. It can be setup in the front or rear at any given time if not in too much trouble.

For people that go out alone and in desolate areas, meaning areas where the trails are not well traveled, a multi mount winch setup can have its advantages if unexpected things occur.

I go out alone a lot. I also go places where no trails are marked as they are not highly traveled or known trails. With that being said, I can NOT ever count on help from anybody else but myself, so I try to have as many possible ways to help myself if stuck. One of those ways is being able to winch from the back of the vehicle if needed.

Do I ever use it much on the back? No, but it is good insurance. I also know that I cannot tell the future and I know that there are many possible scenarios that exist in nature where going backwards could be better than going forward and to think otherwise is factually wrong as nobody can predict that they can always go forward and nobody can predict that when stuck, going forward is the best option, especially when traveling alone. It is a completely different story when traveling with others, a major luxury when help is needed.

Do I check my trail in front when needed? Sure, but none of us check every corner, bend and turn of every trail we are on. What about when traveling on snow, ice, mud or water? Does everyone take a stick and probe every ounce of ground? No. So with that being said, it is impossible to know and predict everything.

Have I personally been in situations where going back is better? Yes. Those situations usually involved snow, ice, mud, water, or a washed out part of the road due to hill slides. I have also encountered several fallen trees across the road. Do I have a saw and axe with me, yes, but that does not mean I want to spend hours cutting the trees to pieces if there is another way by reversing out instead of going forward if I am stuck.

Need examples: I have many.
Here are two:

1. Once saw a guy down a muddy hill trail. So muddy in fact, his Jeep just kept sliding until he hit a stump. No way to turn around. Going further would have brought him to even more mud with ice mixed around. He did look to see where he was going. Noticed it was too slippery and he did try to turn around up top and when he tried to turn up top is when his Jeep slid down. It was a sort of clay mud with ice mixed in it, about the most slippery mud I have ever seen. I pulled him out reverse. So if he was alone he would have needed a winch on the rear as going forward was even worse and he was turned sideways so going forward would have put him on a 5ft diameter stump.

2. Another time I stopped on a road due to the fact of too much snow. A Jeep went by with 40” tires and got stuck. Under the fresh snow was packed ice and large rocks. He had nowhere to go but back. Shovel? It would not have worked. His tires were cradled between two huge rocks with ice around the rocks so it was a perfect trap under the snow.

Could he go forward? Nope, more snow and ice, no trees or rocks in the front to winch from, only the rear, and he had no anchor.

Could he use his Hi Lift jack to jack up a tire to use his ramps? He tried. At first he was bound and determined to go forward rather than ask me for help. But due to the terrain he was having a very difficult time with the ramps with the rocks and ice and how his wheels were cradled. He eventually stopped and I helped. I pulled him out reverse. If he was alone he would have needed a winch on the rear which by chance were also several boulders and trees that he could have winched from.

I have more stories to tell but I also do not have the time at the moment.

Ah hell, here is a 3rd one…

3. Traveling alone and getting turned sideways on a trail, mostly due from mud or ice and when going up or down hill. So now you need to get straightened out. Saw a guy turned sideways and he actually had a Multi Mount Warn winch like mine which I rarely see. He placed it on the rear, straightened his rig and moved on. If he only had a front winch, then it would not have helped.

Warn Multi Mount Winch
Disadvantages:
1. Warn Multi Mount winch setup sticks out further causing reduced approach and descending angles.
2. Can get stolen easily, so security bolts on the Warn platform are needed along with a security hitch bolt and a cable. With all of that it will at least keep honest people a tad more honest but can still get stolen.
3. Sometimes the winch cannot be attached to the desired location due to the situation such as the rear is too deep in the ground to attach to the rear when in trouble.

Advantages (which I feel outweigh the cons):
1. With many situations the winch can be utilized on both the front and rear.
2. Can be removed when not needed which reduces weight and keeps it out of the elements.
3. Great for when traveling alone as you will not have friends to rely on (called insurance).

Best setup if money is not an option:

1. Have a full time winch on front and rear bumper high off the ground. There are basically zero disadvantages except for added weight.

I am quite positive that several of you will be happy to dispute as it is quite entertaining to dispute. So please do, and maybe we can learn something…, or maybe not.

And why did I write this? Because maybe it can help some people that do travel alone and if it helps just one person then it’s worth it. :thumb:

Bandit1

No, I don’t have a Jeep so I will not comment on a rear Jeep bumper types for a winch, but that is an awesome idea with zero disadvantages except for weight. As long as its high enough then it will not interfere with ground clearance, so if money is not an issue then having two winches in the bumpers, front and rear, will by far outperform any other Jeep with only one front winch when traveling alone. How could anyone dispute that? I’m sure somebody will try as it is entertaining.

I have a Warn Zeon 10s Multi-Mount hitch setup which has pros and cons. It can be setup in the front or rear at any given time if not in too much trouble.

For people that go out alone and in desolate areas, meaning areas where the trails are not well traveled, a multi mount winch setup can have its advantages if unexpected things occur.

I go out alone a lot. I also go places where no trails are marked as they are not highly traveled or known trails. With that being said, I can NOT ever count on help from anybody else but myself, so I try to have as many possible ways to help myself if stuck. One of those ways is being able to winch from the back of the vehicle if needed.

Do I ever use it much on the back? No, but it is good insurance. I also know that I cannot tell the future and I know that there are many possible scenarios that exist in nature where going backwards could be better than going forward and to think otherwise is factually wrong as nobody can predict that they can always go forward and nobody can predict that when stuck, going forward is the best option, especially when traveling alone. It is a completely different story when traveling with others, a major luxury when help is needed.

Do I check my trail in front when needed? Sure, but none of us check every corner, bend and turn of every trail we are on. What about when traveling on snow, ice, mud or water? Does everyone take a stick and probe every ounce of ground? No. So with that being said, it is impossible to know and predict everything.

Have I personally been in situations where going back is better? Yes. Those situations usually involved snow, ice, mud, water, or a washed out part of the road due to hill slides. I have also encountered several fallen trees across the road. Do I have a saw and axe with me, yes, but that does not mean I want to spend hours cutting the trees to pieces if there is another way by reversing out instead of going forward if I am stuck.

Need examples: I have many.
Here are two:

1.Once saw a guy down a muddy hill trail. So muddy in fact, his Jeep just kept sliding until he hit a stump. No way to turn around. Going further would have brought him to even more mud with ice mixed around. He did look to see where he was going. Noticed it was too slippery and he did try to turn around up top and when he tried to turn up top is when his Jeep slid down. It was a sort of clay mud with ice mixed in it, about the most slippery mud I have ever seen. I pulled him out reverse. So if he was alone he would have needed a winch on the rear as going forward was even worse and he was turned sideways so going forward would have put him on a 5ft diameter stump.

2.Another time I stopped on a road due to the fact of too much snow. A Jeep went by with 40” tires and got stuck. Under the fresh snow was packed ice and large rocks. He had nowhere to go but back. Shovel? It would not have worked. His tires were cradled between two huge rocks with ice around the rocks so it was a perfect trap under the snow.

Could he go forward? Nope, more snow and ice, no trees or rocks in the front to winch from, only the rear, and he had no anchor.

Could he use his Hi Lift jack to jack up a tire to use his ramps? He tried. At first he was bound and determined to go forward rather than ask me for help. But due to the terrain he was having a very difficult time with the ramps with the rocks and ice and how his wheels were cradled. He eventually stopped and I helped. I pulled him out reverse. If he was alone he would have needed a winch on the rear which by chance were also several boulders and trees that he could have winched from.

I have more stories to tell but I also do not have the time at the moment.

Ah hell, here is a 3rd one…

3.Traveling alone and getting turned sideways on a trail, mostly due from mud or ice and when going up or down hill. So now you need to get straightened out. Saw a guy turned sideways and he actually had a Multi Mount Warn winch like mine which I rarely see. He placed it on the rear, straightened his rig and moved on. If he only had a front winch, then it would not have helped.

Warn Multi Mount Winch
Disadvantages:
1.Warn Multi Mount winch setup sticks out further causing reduced approach and descending angles.
2.Can get stolen easily, so security bolts on the Warn platform are needed along with a security hitch bolt and a cable. With all of that it will at least keep honest people a tad more honest but can still get stolen.
3.Sometimes the winch cannot be attached to the desired location due to the situation such as the rear is too deep in the ground to attach to the rear when in trouble.

Advantages (which I feel outweigh the cons):
1.With many situations the winch can be utilized on both the front and rear.
2.Can be removed when not needed which reduces weight and keeps it out of the elements.
3.Great for when traveling alone as you will not have friends to rely on (called insurance).

Best setup if money is not an option:

1.Have a full time winch on front and rear bumper high off the ground. There are basically zero disadvantages except for added weight.

I am quite positive that several of you will be happy to dispute as it is quite entertaining to dispute. So please do, and maybe we can learn something…, or maybe not.

And why did I write this? Because maybe it can help some people that do travel alone and if it helps just one person then it’s worth it. :thumb:

You pretty much hit every point of what I'm thinking with your post
Around here we deal with a lot of mud and deep water filled holes in the Midwest we don't have much rocky terrain just flat land and most of the time it's places I've never been before and the mud is unforgiving more times than not once you approach a water hole or deep mud pit you cant back up once you know your in over your head
It's a lot easier to back up than try and drag your self thru it
Not stepping on anyone's toes but I think some people are only looking at the type of terrain they are used to where a front winch would only be needed.
As far as getting out and scouting what's up ahead yes I do that when it gets kinda iffy
But with some things its impossible when your by yourself and you have know way of knowing how deep mud is gonna be 15ft past where you checked it or if it's gonna get deeper as you go
Just like the idea of having a little insurance that I can winch back if needed is all

Zhouse

You pretty much hit every point of what I'm thinking with your post
Around here we deal with a lot of mud and deep water filled holes in the Midwest we don't have much rocky terrain just flat land and most of the time it's places I've never been before and the mud is unforgiving more times than not once you approach a water hole or deep mud pit you cant back up once you know your in over your head
It's a lot easier to back up than try and drag your self thru it
Not stepping on anyone's toes but I think some people are only looking at the type of terrain they are used to where a front winch would only be needed.
As far as getting out and scouting what's up ahead yes I do that when it gets kinda iffy
But with some things its impossible when your by yourself and you have know way of knowing how deep mud is gonna be 15ft past where you checked it or if it's gonna get deeper as you go
Just like the idea of having a little insurance that I can winch back if needed is all

If you can afford that insurance then great and as you know I agree with you 100%. Having a rear winch is simply an extra insurance to help you out, just the same as any other insurance in this world and its best to have it before you need it, rather than need it and not have it. Hmmm, I think many-a-wise-man has said that one before. ;)

The way I see it, is if anyone is going to get on you about having a rear winch, yet they have a front winch, basically they are their own hypocrite as if having one on the rear would not be advantageous. The joke is on them.

Hell, I am sure someone could make a great argument with having the winch on the roof that can rotate 360 deg. Wouldn't that be a great one. :thumb:

With all kidding aside, just go to Google Images and type in Jeep rear winch. There are plenty of smart Jeep owners that have thought of exactly what you thought.

Go for it and once done, post it so others can know and see.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you can afford that insurance then great and as you know I agree with you 100%. Having a rear winch is simply an extra insurance to help you out, just the same as any other insurance in this world and its best to have it before you need it, rather than need it and not have it. Hmmm, I think many-a-wise-man has said that one before. ;)

The way I see it, is if anyone is going to get on you about having a rear winch, yet they have a front winch, basically they are their own hypocrite as if having one on the rear would not be advantageous. The joke is on them.

Hell, I am sure someone could make a great argument with having the winch on the roof that can rotate 360 deg. Wouldn't that be a great one. :thumb:

With all kidding aside, just go to Google Images and type in Jeep rear winch. There are plenty of smart Jeep owners that have thought of exactly what you thought.

Go for it and once done, post it so others can know and see.

LOL!! Oh come on, really? A "hypocrite" and the "joke is on them"? First off, nobody was "getting on" the OP about anything or at least, I wasn't. I asked a simple question and the OP answered it. Second, I can only guess it's because you don't own a Jeep or wheel what you have on trails where a winch is not only good to have but are completely NECESSARY because if you did, you'd know the joke is on you. Of course, I'm new to all this wheeling stuff so what would I know.

With all kidding aside, I'd be the first to say to each their own. If you, the OP or anyone wants to carry a rear winch that'll weigh you down and rob you of your departure angle, more power to you. :yup:

Top Bottom