2.5 budget boost issues

Greenman!

What's up everyone,
I just installed the teraflex 2.5 bb yesterday, and ran across a minor issue with the front brake lines. With the added height, it was too much of a stretch to put them back in the original spot. I wanted to know what others have done to deal with this. Mine are currently placed behind the shocks, the wheels can turn fully without contacting them or pulling on them.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461600101.509359.jpg

I also was unable to re install the front driver side sway bar. The bolt got stripped a bit. I'm getting new hardware today and want to know if I have to jack both sides up and loosen everything all over again, or can the sway bar be installed with the jeep on the ground.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461600160.765515.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Back when I ran a budget boost I used brake line extension brackets. I purchased them from JKS for I think 35 bucks or something. As far as reconnecting the sway bar, you are good. No need to re loosen anything. Just make sure you re torque the sway bar links to spec.

Greenman!

Thank you. I was a little worried about the sway bar at first, because the jeep felt pretty "floaty", but I'm not an aggressive driver and have been taking it easy in turns and such. I'll look into getting those extenders for the fronts.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
YOur budget boost should have came with extensions for the front and rear. Double check to make sure you got all the hardware and if not call the distributer you bought it from

curtiso504

The Jeep will feel a little floaty with the 2.5 BB. I used AEV geometry correction brackets and now it's smooth and stable again.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
The Jeep will feel a little floaty with the 2.5 BB. I used AEV geometry correction brackets and now it's smooth and stable again.

I would not recommend correction brackets to anyone. They hang down low, and can get damaged easily when off road. They are not robust by any means. Plus, wallowing out the factory holes on your mounts is never a good idea.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
For the front brake lines, all you have to do is take off that bracket that holds the line underneath the shock and will give you PLENTY of slack. Its a bit of a PITA but youll be able to get it off with time.

Last edited:

Petzl88

For the front brake lines, all you have to do is take off that bracket that holds the line underneath the shock and will give you PLENTY of slack. Its a bit of a PITA but youll be able to get it off with time.

This is true. When you remove that bracket you will have enough slack for a 27" shock easy. I tried using a pry bar to get mine loose and couldn't. They come out real easy with a pair of large vice grips.

aldaman

This is true. When you remove that bracket you will have enough slack for a 27" shock easy. I tried using a pry bar to get mine loose and couldn't. They come out real easy with a pair of large vice grips.

X3, on the bracket. If you can't pry off the bracket from the brake lines you can always unbolt the bracket from the shock mount. That will give you enough slack....

crowrb29

What's up everyone,
I just installed the teraflex 2.5 bb yesterday, and ran across a minor issue with the front brake lines. With the added height, it was too much of a stretch to put them back in the original spot. I wanted to know what others have done to deal with this. Mine are currently placed behind the shocks, the wheels can turn fully without contacting them or pulling on them.
View attachment 200138

I also was unable to re install the front driver side sway bar. The bolt got stripped a bit. I'm getting new hardware today and want to know if I have to jack both sides up and loosen everything all over again, or can the sway bar be installed with the jeep on the ground.
View attachment 200139

I just have my lines routed between the coil and the shock on both sides. It's been like that for almost 2.5 years without any issues. Never had them get caught up on anything and I've been fully flexed out plenty since I've had the lift on.

As far as your sway bar goes you should be able to reattach it on with the jeep on the ground. If you have any issues have a buddy push down on either side of your jeep to help realign the links to the mounts on the axle

Last edited:

professorkx

When I installed the rough country budget boost and 35 tires on stock rims on my 2014 with the brake extension bracket, the passenger side tire rubbed the brake line at the frame mount when I turned hard right. I wanted to move the tire out a little anyway to better match the flat fenders, so install 1 1/2 inch adapters. Problem was solved until I installed King 2.5 shocks. Wheeling about 300 miles from home and the passenger side brake line got pinched at full compression between the shock body and the bottom shaft stop. I cut the line at the leak, dabbed a little Right Stuff on a sheet metal screw and screwed into the hose to keep it from leaking. The drive home was a little weird since the jeep pulled to the left under hard braking, but we survived just fine. Replaced both lines with longer steel braided lines and routed behind the shock.

Greenman!

Jeep sounds like a jalopy

OK everyone, now I am having a different issue altogether. There is an annoying "clunking" sound coming from underneath the jeep when I'm driving. At first I thought it was the loose brake lines in the front, but the sound is coming from the rear. When I put the lift on, I relocated the breather because it was preventing axle droop. I zip tied it to the frame, now I am wondering if this is loose and causing the noise I'm hearing. The strange thing is that the noise disappears when I'm traveling at about 45 and above. I would think that the increase in speed would cause greater air flow/turbulence over the area, and would cause it to move around more and make more noise. The clanking noise is not constant, and doesn't seem to coincide with any one thing. I have noticed it during different situations: turning the wheel side to side while the jeep is moving, going over bumps and dips in the road, sometimes during a shift in the automatic transmission, and sometimes just driving along in a straight line. But never when I am traveling at highway speeds. If it was a loose bolt somewhere, wouldn't the noise be present when I was going over bumps on the highway? I plan on getting underneath and checking/re-torquing all bolts this weekend to see if that's the problem. Anyone have an idea of what this could be? I am not yet wise enough in the ways of the JEEP, and would appreciate any help from one of you Jedi masters on this forum. Thank you in advance!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
OK everyone, now I am having a different issue altogether. There is an annoying "clunking" sound coming from underneath the jeep when I'm driving. At first I thought it was the loose brake lines in the front, but the sound is coming from the rear. When I put the lift on, I relocated the breather because it was preventing axle droop. I zip tied it to the frame, now I am wondering if this is loose and causing the noise I'm hearing. The strange thing is that the noise disappears when I'm traveling at about 45 and above. I would think that the increase in speed would cause greater air flow/turbulence over the area, and would cause it to move around more and make more noise. The clanking noise is not constant, and doesn't seem to coincide with any one thing. I have noticed it during different situations: turning the wheel side to side while the jeep is moving, going over bumps and dips in the road, sometimes during a shift in the automatic transmission, and sometimes just driving along in a straight line. But never when I am traveling at highway speeds. If it was a loose bolt somewhere, wouldn't the noise be present when I was going over bumps on the highway? I plan on getting underneath and checking/re-torquing all bolts this weekend to see if that's the problem. Anyone have an idea of what this could be? I am not yet wise enough in the ways of the JEEP, and would appreciate any help from one of you Jedi masters on this forum. Thank you in advance!

I bet it's just a torque issue. Once you install a lift its good to retorque everything after about 500 miles of use.

Greenman!

I bet it's just a torque issue. Once you install a lift its good to retorque everything after about 500 miles of use.

I hope you're right because that's an easy fix. The kit recommends re-tightening everything after 300 miles, which I was planning on doing. Must have been a typo, maybe they meant re-tighten after 30 lol. Or just re-tighten daily. Forever.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I hope you're right because that's an easy fix. The kit recommends re-tightening everything after 300 miles, which I was planning on doing. Must have been a typo, maybe they meant re-tighten after 30 lol. Or just re-tighten daily. Forever.

Lol! Just make sure you get the right torque specs. Trackbar and control arms are 125 ft/lbs. the rest of the specs you can find on here as well

Greenman!

Lol! Just make sure you get the right torque specs. Trackbar and control arms are 125 ft/lbs. the rest of the specs you can find on here as well

Yes siree, already tagged to the write up on the forum. I'll post back after I've finished tightening and driving around on it.

Greenman!

Problem solved! The bolts on my rear sway bar links were loose. Tightened them right up and now she's running quiet. Thanks again everyone

Top Bottom