Rear sway bar restricting flex

Mute9937

I installed a 2.5in lift but still have the stock links on the rear sway bar. With the rear sway bar connected neither droop much or stuff. When its disconnected, it moves freely and will get both full stuff and droop. Now, i know too short of links can limit droop if they straighten out but they dont get close to that. I have tried to research but have not found any answers. I also understand that the rear sway bar shouldnt restrict flex but mine does. Will longer links fix this?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What 2.5" lift did you get? It should have came with new rear links for you to install.

Your rear swaybar doesn't limit your flex tho. It's super soft. Also if you disconnect it for street use your going to experience a lot of body roll and that's unsafe

Mute9937

Its just just a BB that only came with spacers. Im running 10.5" travel shocks, have extended brake lines and created extra slack in the wheel speed sensor wires. The sway bar has only been disconnected for testing purposes but always connected while driving.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If you've only checked it with the wheels off the ground I think you'll find that it's only because there is no load on the swaybar. When the weight of the jeep is on one end of the swaybar it will twist a lot more

Mute9937

All testing has been done with full weight in the mountains. I found a spot that would fully test my suspension cycle so i could find any rubbing/issues at all 4 corners. I have also taken it on some trails in southern Utah. My long armed TJ did not have this issue and am confused at why its restricted b/c i know it shouldnt be

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Fair enough. What control arms are you running? 10.5" is a lot of travel if your still on stock arms it may be the added resistance of the swaybar with all the bushes compounding the problem

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I guess wayalifes stock rear swaybar is really affecting his coilover droop then. To bad the limiting strap stop it from going further.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461758610.893668.jpg .

Maybe he will post up a pic from the v notch where he's at full droop and the strap is tight.

Tracy Sawyer

I always test my articulation on a new build with the shocks and sway bar unhooked. That way I have an idea what it is be capable of. I would discount the shocks when you get to your test spot just to make sure they are not bottoming out on your compression side of the jeep. Hope you get it figured out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its just just a BB that only came with spacers. Im running 10.5" travel shocks, have extended brake lines and created extra slack in the wheel speed sensor wires. The sway bar has only been disconnected for testing purposes but always connected while driving.

You NEED to be running longer links in the rear and then you NEED to install the factory rear links on your front axle or install quick disconnects.

Here's a shot of just how much your factory rear sway bar will supposedly "restrict" your flex.
main.php

Mute9937

You NEED to be running longer links in the rear and then you NEED to install the factory rear links on your front axle or install quick disconnects.

Thank you, I was guessing it was my link length but wanted a second opinion because I know the rear bar it self is not heavy enough to restrict as much as it is. I do run disconnects in the front so there are no issues there.

Top Bottom