Terrible question

Jamies72

Okay I have a RE 2.5 lift with RK adjustable lowers and sway bars front and rear on a 13 JK Sport running 33" tires. The lift is about a month and Ive noticed a clank from the front when I hit a bump or I can jerk the wheel to the right it'll clank. Makes a small tick/clank sound. Any suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds to me like a suspension or steering component is shifting in it's mount. As mentioned, check your bolts to make sure they are tightened to the proper torque spec.

dillard09

Have some one cycle the wheel from lock to lock while you check the draglink, trac bar, and tie rod for movement. Maybe you can here the "clank" and track it down.
Good luck!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Check torque on all front end parts, especially the track bar relocation bracket if it has one.

Sounds to me like a suspension or steering component is shifting in it's mount. As mentioned, check your bolts to make sure they are tightened to the proper torque spec.

It is awesome to see my neighbor and friend jumping right in to help people on this forum. I can say that QuicksilverJK is VERY knowledgable and we look forward to more of his sharing of knowledge. Thanks friend... and thank you for getting me out on Sunday!!!

TimOHthy

I'd check you're sway bar links, mine was making a noise like what you're describing over bumps and I had someone shake my jeep side to side and seen it was a sway bar link that wasn't tight enough.

zimm

Caught the Bug
See if the track bar is hitting the diff cover. I heard of a jeeper that installed his backwards and it was hitting. That sure wasn't me though :rolleyes2:

Jamies72

See if the track bar is hitting the diff cover. I heard of a jeeper that installed his backwards and it was hitting. That sure wasn't me though :rolleyes2:

The Trac bar is installed right, nothing under there appears to be loose. Maybe I'll try having someone cycle the steering while I watch underneath. The sound is progressively getting worse, you'd thing I could see marks of where its loose but maybe not.

The Trac bar is installed right, nothing under there appears to be loose. Maybe I'll try having someone cycle the steering while I watch underneath. The sound is progressively getting worse, you'd thing I could see marks of where its loose but maybe not.

When I installed a budget boost i torque everything with the wrong torque settings on the torque wrench. ( I used a newton meter converter in a wrong way ).

Anyway, you could not see with your eyes or feel with your hands that something was wrong but I had a clonking sound in the front. I rechecked the torque settings and found my misstake so I retorque everything once more with the propper torque and all the clonking sound was gone.

Tristanbell23

I had that same noise every time I stopped and it ended up being my lower control arm being loose. Like everyone said, tighten your steering and suspension components.

Top Bottom