Slight overheating in 4wd

JEJ0308

As the title states, I noticed the temp gauge moving a little bit to hot side when I was driving down a trail in 4hi. Just so I don't leave anything out: '13 JKUR, 35s, automatic, 4.10s(per the build sheet). At the time I was driving maybe 5-8mph, or down to a crawl on several spots, A/C (and other accessories) off. Probably didn't need 4wd, except for a couple spots. Lots of loose sand/dirt, hills, 1' or less water, nothing a stock rig couldn't handle.
The temp needle would only move (like one or two tick marks on the gauge) to the right when it was in 4wd, never 2wd, but just enough to make me a bit concerned. Is this normal? Are these symptoms a tell tale sign of something else going on?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Did any lights go off or you just noticed it was a tick high?
Are your fluid levels normal? Any coolant splatters or leaks?

JEJ0308

Everything normal, I'll double check the fluids when I get a chance, no lights, no splatter, and yes just a tick above normal. It would directly coincide with using 4hi, I could see the needle move ever so slightly.
I have always kept an eye on the temp gauge ever since having a car in the past that had an overheating issue, normally nobody would prob even notice.

scull20

I would set the EVIC on your dash to the coolant reading and keep an eye on it there. Usually analog temp gauge will start to creep up ever so slightly around 225ish...then the thermostat should open up and electric fan kick on (if it hadn't already) and bring things down 20 degrees or so. From everything I've read, the 3.6 pentastars like to run on the hot side, but its normal.

Make sure your coolant reservoir is not below the min level as well.

Speeddmn

Was it hot outside, windy, etc? In 4hi or lo, you are moving more items inder power. It's normal for the engine to work harder, that means more heat.

If the wind was at your back and going slow, plus a hot day, it is safe to say the temp should rise. Where as if you were driving into the wind on a cool day it would be safe to assume the temps shouldnt move enough to warrant a worry.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't worry about it if everything checks out.
My jeep was running two ticks 'hot' and I noticed a splatter of coolant and after replacing the water pump it now runs cooler (3 marks cooler).
The transmission and transfer case can produce a lot of heat if you are going slow. I usually run 4lo of I'm going to be going less than 15 mph for a long time

JEJ0308

Thanks for all the info and reassurance guys! To answer a couple of the previous questions; 4hi, not much wind (in the woods), no extra cargo other than some fishing gear, and about 85F here in eastern NC today.
As far as the EVIC? I will admit, im not familiar with how/what to change. Can someone enlighten me?

scull20

Thanks for all the info and reassurance guys! To answer a couple of the previous questions; 4hi, not much wind (in the woods), no extra cargo other than some fishing gear, and about 85F here in eastern NC today.
As far as the EVIC? I will admit, im not familiar with how/what to change. Can someone enlighten me?

On the steering wheel on the left side you can hit the menu button until you get to "vehicle info"...then the first readout should be coolant temp.

Jtvegas

It's probably normal depending on your environment. My gauge will never go up while off roading however my gauge will go up @ highway speeds while driving up a mountain at high elevation but it always goes back down.

WJCO

Meme King
The only visual thing that I can think to check is to make sure your radiator and condenser aren't plugged with bugs and mud and shit.

Top Bottom