Thoughts on mud?

bowtech50

I have been lurking on this forum for a while now, and rarely post. Mostly because it would seem that most of you live in parts of the country where rocks are the norm as far as wheeling goes. I live in Minnesota, ( land of high taxes ) and most of the stuff around here involves MUD. I hate mud! It gets in every crack and crevice, and is a bitch to clean. Living in the midwest is why I chose AEV when I picked a lift, but am less then thrilled with the ride as it seems rough but handles well. Do you guys out west avoid mud, or is it just me. I keep my stuff nice, and mud takes the fun out of it for me. On a technical note, would swapping to EVO plush rides help or should I just leave it alone? I love reading all the adventures on here.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Mud sucks. Clay is worse. That's all we have in VA. A couple hours with a power washer is required afterwards. Not much action shots, but what my pops grabbed on our last ride at the local park:

/Users/Greg/Pictures/Greg's Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/04/09/20160409-175632/vtYBOh5kQjaEqwzWvhOHpA/thumb_IMG_0403_1024.jpg
Pullling out my 4th rescue of the day:

By wheeling buddy:

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Mud sucks. Clay is worse. That's all we have in VA. A couple hours with a power washer is required afterwards. Not much action shots, but what my pops grabbed on our last ride at the local park:

Pullling out my 4th rescue of the day:

By wheeling buddy:

Jeep2010

I live in Ohio and that's mainly what we have around and although I don't mind the mud it is a pain. I'd much rather wheel on rocks but I'll take what I can get lol. I keep all my quarters at home just for the car wash.
This was my jeep after a couple hours of wheeling at a local park
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461806727.810515.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461806740.614464.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461806755.636149.jpg

bfschor

It all depends on what type of soil you're in. I don't wheel mine in the rocks because I grew up driving trucks and learned that rocks are bad. They damage things underneath (oil pan on '87 Ram) and mud doesn't. Granted, that's what skid plates are for, but still to this day, I prefer mud. But where I "wheel" (my jk is used for hunting, not for the intentions of wheeling) the soil is sandy loam and washes off with the rain - it's super easy to clean. I have the AEV 2.5" and just recently changed my shocks to Rancho 9000's. They took the harshness out of the ride. I went with Rancho because of their warranty and their adjustability. Also, Bilstein denied that my leaking shock was not normal and would not warranty them.

Copperhead83

I like mud, I grew up in the Midwest but am lucky enough to live in Alaska now and there is about every type of terrain here rocks, snow, deep water, mud, sand even. Mud is fun in my opinion but I do agree about it being a pain in the butt to clean, even worse than mud is glacial silt, gets into everything..

CarolinaJK

Mud and I have a love/hate relationship. I love playing in it, but I hate what it does to my Jeep over time so I stay away from it as much as possible.

BamBamDeer

We have lots of Mud and Clay in the Arkansas River Bottoms in Oklahoma. Just getting to Town and Back home can be a pretty muddy ordeal a lot of the time. I put a Sprinkler under mine for a while then power wash it. It takes a little time but no problem. I don't like to let it cake up and dry...it can cause problems.

RolandJKU

From my perspective, southern arizona, mud is kinda rare and I play in it, but the time to clean is majorly crappy. The majority of my "wheeling" - other than a trip to Moab - has been out in the mud.

Tree Frog

As it rains for like nine freaking months of the year here in the PNW about all I see is MUD or the occasional snow.

I bought the Tree Frog a pressure washer for Christmas.

I miss the deserts of Nevada. A blower would clean up the old CJ most of the time.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Well here in South East Queensland we have red mud, yellow mud, grey mud, black mud and the same colours in clay and sand. There's plenty of rocks too but at the bottom of every hill is always a mud puddle even when it hasn't rained for months.

To me it's all part of the fun and a couple of minutes at car wash with hot soap on the pressure washer and 90% of its gone.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
To me the cleanup makes mud no fun, splashing the occasional puddle is fine but deep mud or nothing but mud is not worth it.

Thanks for all the replies, makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one who dislikes mud.
To answer your question, yes. Swapping to a set of Plush rides is probably one of the best things you could do to soften the ride of your jeep. Money well spent. And they pair great w the ranchos.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
We have a lot of mud around here too. Used to play in it a lot in my cheap Jeeps that already had rust issues, but I'm trying to keep the JK a little cleaner. If It looks shallow enough to stay out of the frame and brakes it's still fun to get a little dirty, but having mud flow into the tub is not on my to do list. That's just way too much clean up.

Top Bottom