Snapped ring gear bolt!

Jeepfan30

I want to attempt to use an extractor set to get this bolt out before I go ahead and pull the diff and separate the ring from the carrier. I am open to any successful techniques you guys might have, also will I be ok driving my Jeep for the next few days until I get this bolt replaced?

professorkx

Wouldn't concern to drive a little if it were my daily driver, just go easy. Spend some money on a good drill and extractor and you should be fine. If locktite was used originally, a little heat from a propane auto Ignition will help,

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Sounds like solid advice from professorkx
I've used extractors for this in the past successfully.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462124956.967897.jpg

Jeepfan30

Thanks. I must have got the cheap extractor set at Home Depot, it wouldn't thread in to the drilled hole. I didn't want to pound on the extractor to hard and damage the carrier bearings while it was still in the axle.

Looks like I will have to separate the R&P and hopefully there is enough nub left to grab onto and twist the remaining part out of the ring gear.

Jeepfan30

Once I do get the snapped bolt out I have two bolt options to replace it. Should I replace it with a used OEM ring gear bolt leftover from my re-gear? Or should I use a new Grade 8 bolt from Napa that is not specifically made for a ring gear? I have read that re-using ring gear bolts is a no-no. Thanks,

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I would buy a new OEM ring gear bolt. I wouldn't put in a gr 8 bolt not made specifically for it.

Jeepfan30

Well, that was 9 hours of my life I will never get back. Pulled the Truetrac out today so I could separate the ring gear and try to get the snapped bolt out of the ring gear. Disassembly was the easy part, drilling out the broken off piece of a Grade 8 bolt, and then tapping a hardened ring gear not so much easy. I have to admit the whole process would have gone smoother if I had centered the hole I drilled into the Grade 8 bolt, and if I had spent a little more money on a better drill bit. The extractor set (easy out) that I bought at Home Depot laughed at me an the threads stripped before catching. Back together now with all 10 ring gear bolts and a 20 mile drive...all is well again.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Well, that was 9 hours of my life I will never get back. Pulled the Truetrac out today so I could separate the ring gear and try to get the snapped bolt out of the ring gear. Disassembly was the easy part, drilling out the broken off piece of a Grade 8 bolt, and then tapping a hardened ring gear not so much easy. I have to admit the whole process would have gone smoother if I had centered the hole I drilled into the Grade 8 bolt, and if I had spent a little more money on a better drill bit. The extractor set (easy out) that I bought at Home Depot laughed at me an the threads stripped before catching. Back together now with all 10 ring gear bolts and a 20 mile drive...all is well again.

Glad it worked out. Strong work. [emoji106]

Top Bottom