CB antennas?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
What is a good length for off roading? Just curious? I got the fire stick 2, 4 ft in length.

depends on what you want to do, If your in a small group, and in a fenced off park, you could run the 2ft no problem, but if your outside a fence, When things go wrong, sometimes they go wrong fast, and while a CB probably shouldn't be your ONLY saving grace, I would prefer to run something like the 4ft to have a bit more range for hopes of reaching someone nearby.

Rottenbelly

I have used a 5 ft Frances antenna on multiple radios and rigs for 15 plus years. Always had good luck with them.
Even with small 200-300 watt linear amps.

ob_tj

I have a 5 foot road pal. I spent a little extra money in taking my jeep to a CB shop. They tuned the radio and antenna. Having them do that boosted the range a lot.

You want the antenna to be as long as possible without hitting branches and garage ceilings. The base of the antenna should be no lower than the body of the Jeep.

If you put a 2' antenna mounted on the rear bumper, only a small portion of it will rise above the metal tub. This would not give you very good reception out front but would be fair reception backwards. So, it is all in the position of the antenna and how well it is installed.

I have had good luck with the EVO antenna mount that uses the top corner bolts of the tire carrier. Just make sure to scrape off the paint where the bolts connect. Use some NoOx to keep it from rusting.

FYI, a short well grounded antenna will always work better than a poorly grounded long antenna.

Last edited:
Top Bottom