Wrangler in Accident

Mtb275

My buddy got rear ended pretty bad. Family of 4 appears to be ok, sore as heck today, but everything seems fine. They have doctors appointment today to get fully checked out.

The BMW hit them when they where at a stop light and pushed them into to smaller car. Totaled both cars, but they were able to drive keep home. Didn't drive well, but it got them home.

I'm impressed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462209367.655934.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462209379.760675.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462209391.232976.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462209402.672182.jpg

BamBamDeer

I am glad they were able to drive away. I have been in a couple of wrecks....very scary. I hope all turn out to be ok.

Ddays

Hooked
Glad no serious injuries. Was in an fairly serious accident last year where I was able to drive away
but other car was totaled.

This shows one of the advantages of body on frame construction and the strength of frame mounted bumpers.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Glad no serious injuries. Was in an fairly serious accident last year where I was able to drive away

This shows one of the advantages of body on frame construction and the strength of frame mounted bumpers.

I'd say it's one of the disadvantages. While the other cars suffered more damage I bet the occupants woke up feeling a lot better than the people in the jeep. You can always buy a new jeep.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

I'd say it's one of the disadvantages. While the other cars suffered more damage I bet the occupants woke up feeling a lot better than the people in the jeep. You can always buy a new jeep.

Based on 20 years of experience handling injury claims and extensive research and training, I have to side on 2nd.gunman on this. The energy that the occupants suffered inside the Jeep were greater in magnitude than the occupants in the other vehicles. The deformation of metal, lifting of vehicles, airbag deploy, frame buckling, they all contribute to energy absorption. The only thing going for the Jeep was its relative weight. It was a bit heavier than the other vehicles, but then when you see how it was struck from behind and pushed forward, shows the extent of the forces involved.

EDIT: I also note that the striking vehicle (BMW) nosed underneath and submarined underneath the Jeep. This helped relieve some of the forces involved by lifting the Jeep upward.

Ddays

Hooked
You are looking at the accident from a different angle than I was i guess. I was looking at vehicle damage, not occupant damage, which I will concede is much more important.
I would argue some that at speeds up to airbag deployment I'd rather have a body on frame vehicle. Over that and I'd agree with you guys...

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I would argue some that at speeds up to airbag deployment I'd rather have a body on frame vehicle.

You and I are in complete agreement. Airbag deploy happens in many different instances, but in general, speeds greater than 15 mph. The ladder frame construction can handle a lot more abuse at these forces, hence the forces one would encounter on a trail.By design, the Jeep is required to be more rigid and able to withstand off road forces and it not really a safe road vehicle. The biggest thing we got going for us is weight.

Top Bottom