Rugged Ridge Hood Latch (did they update their design?)

thedrod

Did Rugged Ridge change the design of their hood latches?

Here is the story and some photos.

I ordered the RR hood latches in October 2015 and installed them. They're great.

Since then my powder coating business is expanding and I thought I would order another set of the latches to powder coat them white to match my Jeep.

I ordered them off Amazon, and noticed they were shipping from China.

Great I thought. Surprise! 2 week delivery time.

Anyways, once they arrived they looked similiar to my original, but the allen heads were a different size and the black powder coat finish was different.
This made me wonder if somebody was making copies overseas of popular products.

I am also in the firearms business and you often see fake rifle optics selling with popular American based brands from overseas companies.

Please check out the photos. I ordered these hood latches back in April of 2016, and I am holding them next to the ones I ordered in October of 2015 that are currently installed on my Jeep.

I am curious if anybody can see a difference in the ones they have versus these.

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
I just bought a set off Amazon. I'll snap a photo when I walk out to my jeep after work.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The real ones come in two finishes, one in smooth glossy, one in hammered texture...both black. I just got the hammered ones myself (amazon prime)....what concerns me, is the small allen sockets on the hex bolts. The real ones have a 5mm hole.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Using this photo, the top ones look fake, because of the bolts.

attachment.php

jeeeep

Hooked
that top one look like knock-offs - the bolts, the design.
Does your receipt show it's from RR?
Amazon does have sellers selling RR look alikes, sunluway, opal and a few others. I almost bought a pair of the cheaper ones until I saw shipping from china, that's when I cancelled the order and ordered the RR that shipped from Amazon in stock

thombull

The biggest difference in your picture between the design of the two that I see is that the newer knock off doesn't have the push button to release the latch and the older one does.

thombull

Never mind just that the button is part of another piece that is not with the new one yet because It's not installed.... Carry-on.... Crazy eyes

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If you look at how all of the edges are finished they are much sharper which screams quicker/cheaper to make.

Looks like a cheap copy to me but chuck some epoxy on them and they'll be worth more than a legit set [emoji6]

thedrod

Check it out, this is the screenshot from Amazon from what I ordered.
All of a sudden it is now unavailable. Hmmmmmmm

hood latches.jpg

thedrod

So I contacted Rugged Ridge/ Omix and I have to say I was impressed with the responsiveness.

Vic- It does not appear to be our part by your provided pictures. We don't use the small allen heads on the binding posts nor have we ever marketed the latches for any model other than the Jeep Wrangler. What did the packaging look like that the latches came in?

Your Omix Support System Team,
Tyler Coolidge
Technical Support Representative
Omix-ADA, Inc. / Rugged Ridge / Alloy USA / Precision Gear
www.omix-ada.com
www.ruggedridge.com

So then I inquired if they had seen this before.

Dear Victor Agafitei,
We have had many occasions where companies have tried to duplicate our parts and there always seems to be someone else out there doing the same. We actually hold the design patent on these latches so this incident will impede on that patent. I will let our Engineering team know if this issue so they can take appropriate actions.
We appreciate your letting us know of the incident and, if you'd like to shoot me your address and let me know what size shirt you wear, I would like to send you at least a small token of our appreciation for your trouble.

Your Omix Support System Team,
Tyler Coolidge
Technical Support Representative
Omix-ADA, Inc. / Rugged Ridge / Alloy USA / Precision Gear
www.omix-ada.com
www.ruggedridge.com

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
That's pretty cool of them.

You know, I've found in the last few years that the Amazon "Marketplace" has really opened itself up to just about anyone. If I really wanted knock off crap from over seas, I'd just get it off eBay. Keep your eyes open for whether your Amazon products are coming directly from them or one of their vendors. I doubt you would have had this issue from Amazon directly.

Bustedback

I just installed a set of knock offs that I got from Amazon. They came in a plane box and there were no instructions. It looked like both latches were for the right side. I installed them and they seem to work ok. The nuts were tiny nylock nuts with no washers, the factory nut happened to thread on the screws though. So much better than dealing with hood flutter. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462376901.071049.jpg

rctrav

I just installed a set of knock offs that I got from Amazon. They came in a plane box and there were no instructions. It looked like both latches were for the right side. I installed them and they seem to work ok. The nuts were tiny nylock nuts with no washers, the factory nut happened to thread on the screws though. So much better than dealing with hood flutter. View attachment 201630

Did you no that your were ordering fakes?

Jackal01

Check it out, this is the screenshot from Amazon from what I ordered.
All of a sudden it is now unavailable. Hmmmmmmm

View attachment 201602

The giveaway that they were fakes should be the fact it says "...compass, grand cherokee, cherokee, dodge journey, 300C". Really....hood latches for a 300C?

I just installed a set of knock offs that I got from Amazon. They came in a plane box and there were no instructions. It looked like both latches were for the right side. I installed them and they seem to work ok. The nuts were tiny nylock nuts with no washers, the factory nut happened to thread on the screws though. So much better than dealing with hood flutter.

When I received my legitimate latches from Northridge there was no difference in which side they went one.

Top Bottom