SPY SHOTS - 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Greg Migliore of Autoblog posted up the following article along with spy shots of the all new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler. Check it out.

2018 Jeep Wrangler spied looking more aerodynamic
We're getting an early look at one of the most anticipated vehicles from Jeep: the next-generation Wrangler.

We expect it to arrive for the 2018 model year and be aluminum-intensive for purposes of weight savings, which will improve fuel economy. The platform is expected to remain a traditional body-on-frame setup, and manufacturing will remain at its longtime Toledo, OH, factory. The design appears true to the Wrangler's heritage, though the windshield is raked back more to make it less brick-like when cutting through the air. From some angles, the front end appears longer if you squint properly, and the front fenders seem wider and squatter than the current model's. There's probably more in store for the new Jeep, but this prototype is under such heavy cladding it's impossible to tell what. Kudos to the folks who make those vinyl coverings.

Look for the powertrain to again include a Pentastar V6, this time paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission – again for fuel economy, but also to improve the powertrain's flexibility. A V6 turbo diesel and a mild-hybrid variant are also expected. Even with all these departures from the long-running Wrangler playbook, the off-road capability will remain the vehicle's calling card.

The current Wrangler will also be built concurrently with this next-gen model for a time in Toledo, Automotive News reports, giving enthusiasts and traditionalists the best of both worlds. Jeep will also add a pickup based on the Wrangler's underpinnings to its portfolio in a move to capitalize on the resurgence of smaller trucks.

The Wrangler is both the halo and centerpiece of the remade Jeep lineup, which quickly is becoming one of Fiat Chrysler's pillars for sales and prestige around the world. Jeep hopes to sell 2 million vehicles globally by 2018.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/03/2018-jeep-wrangler-spy-photos/#slide-3882799

So, what do ya'll think? :cool:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The windshield appears to be a little more laid back, which I like. Besides a little extra fuel economy, maybe not so many w/s replacements and snow packing under the wipers in heavy storms. Smaller Pentastar? Probably won't have to sell the 2012 to get the latest and greatest.

Tekel

2018 JKU spotted?

Forum member on Expeditionportal also seems to of came across one in a parking lot in Colorado.

Most interesting photo he got was he snuck a shot of the undercarriage
g4CD1NdoUttQaO44RLcnptOWWleSLdE5Z3-9MhEo-XXQ0g6DUmALaTSwjvH6BcXLSCAv8qpqLA6T9BZcoSX-r4o7rMKeyIL5la6XCEFTPSRqYqJZZflwCtYk-__kTB5X271dBMHeho3S3Wd8hrWBy9g1N87jPd5zOgCaeUT6a-IcC4KnKr6lSsjZ62FVyIZwt2qiuPteiqPtuOrVwLVX--9sBqAPJkSiRzVd8xMcpxfKsXfKYWln51a0J5f2Rk8DGXGooofMRMeluO9uZUilmup4rgJ4UidXskzT-S6j1rJHdS-MHhe9E1yOmrz5uafKwvc5r4blkHiMaM-24K00ed9q9U1TkTA35o0l21CxjiylBOGGJQeqSA1QstyB4UD3lmoSDPoma_7I-qy-tdkAnZq-gVKxkn0x2PEahg9c5eSC81nRehsSq5CkeKQCI21PQXhvqJt8Bcy3aTOmGEb4Rtxqjhj0fzXbYxNYZViXHCoBeQfVtTlV0D5OIbbgocGoQPYah17ZfG-lD-DNsQwEEb5MW1q9uCR4nz14oodlt1F_jjckQkjf5qwI4mq0CK22JbgE=w876-h657-no

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Very cool! I know you can't see much, but it looks like the overall feel is the same. I'm really looking forward to what will be coming out.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Forum member on Expeditionportal also seems to of came across one in a parking lot in Colorado.

Most interesting photo he got was he snuck a shot of the undercarriage
g4CD1NdoUttQaO44RLcnptOWWleSLdE5Z3-9MhEo-XXQ0g6DUmALaTSwjvH6BcXLSCAv8qpqLA6T9BZcoSX-r4o7rMKeyIL5la6XCEFTPSRqYqJZZflwCtYk-__kTB5X271dBMHeho3S3Wd8hrWBy9g1N87jPd5zOgCaeUT6a-IcC4KnKr6lSsjZ62FVyIZwt2qiuPteiqPtuOrVwLVX--9sBqAPJkSiRzVd8xMcpxfKsXfKYWln51a0J5f2Rk8DGXGooofMRMeluO9uZUilmup4rgJ4UidXskzT-S6j1rJHdS-MHhe9E1yOmrz5uafKwvc5r4blkHiMaM-24K00ed9q9U1TkTA35o0l21CxjiylBOGGJQeqSA1QstyB4UD3lmoSDPoma_7I-qy-tdkAnZq-gVKxkn0x2PEahg9c5eSC81nRehsSq5CkeKQCI21PQXhvqJt8Bcy3aTOmGEb4Rtxqjhj0fzXbYxNYZViXHCoBeQfVtTlV0D5OIbbgocGoQPYah17ZfG-lD-DNsQwEEb5MW1q9uCR4nz14oodlt1F_jjckQkjf5qwI4mq0CK22JbgE=w876-h657-no

Very tactless jackass. If you have something to add, add it, don't just link people to go to another forum.

Kyle7R

So glad you joined just to post a link to an article.

In the wrong sub-forum at that, and that has already been posted elsewhere.

Edit for real participants - this was re-located from asscannon's "new thread" that was posted in the JK sub forum.

Last edited:

GLASSCANNON

So if this is up elsewhere, should I delete this one?

Yes Kyle7R, I joined in July 2013 specifically to post this article today. Thanks for the sarcasm, right back at you.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pouring over the photos and zooming in on them, I think it's pretty clear that the new Wrangler (assuming these are actual shots of the final production vehicle) will essentially just be a refreshed JL body, motor and transmission on an old JK frame and suspension system. The grill looks to be more at an angle but it's hard to tell for sure with the camouflage but it's pretty clear to see the windshield is more swept back.
windshield.jpg

So far as I can tell, the Duratracs they're running on this test rig are also bigger than the 225's that comes on a JK Rubicon today. If I could guess, these are most likely 285 or maybe even 305's. If this is true, that'll mean that the fender wells will be bigger from the factory and that means it'll be easier to get up on a 37 or bigger.
tire.jpg

Looking at this side shot, I think it's pretty clear that we are definitely looking at a JK frame with what looks like a very low hanging exhaust cross over (based on the front under pic posted) and maybe a small resonator or additional cat further back. Either way, if this is true, what it will mean is that current JK suspension products will either bolt right up to the JL or it'll be super easy for manufacturers to come out with new products that will and quickly.
frame-rail.jpg

Kalums

Absolutely interested, as long as they do actually offer the eco diesel out of the G. Cherokee

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm even more intrigued now than I was before! Can't wait to see what it looks like. If it has the same frame as the jk then I would be really interested cause then I can just swap stuff like my coilovers and pr44 over

JAGS

Hooked
Honestly can't wait for the true unveiling. So much speculation has been made, both good and bad.

My worry is we won't really see anything that new and that FCA has pussed out on a legit design refresh. I've yet to see/hear the "it" factor in a way like JKU had.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly can't wait for the true unveiling. So much speculation has been made, both good and bad.

My worry is we won't really see anything that new and that FCA has pussed out on a legit design refresh. I've yet to see/hear the "it" factor in a way like JKU had.

Well, by the look of things, the JL will be a legit "refresh" but NOT much of a legit "re-design". I think this will be more of a lateral move kind of like the YJ was from the CJ.

Hmmm... Can't get a good look at the interior but it looks like the same dashboard at the newer JK's too. Maybe theyre just re using some JK parts on the test mule?

JAGS

Hooked
Well, by the look of things, the JL will be a legit "refresh" but NOT much of a legit "re-design". I think this will be more of a lateral move kind of like the YJ was from the CJ.

Ha ha. I like that, a legit "refresh." [emoji106] I'll still be in the market for whatever it is. So I'm looking forward to it.

Not sure how valid, but I was told a while back that the comfort features of the interior and the new transmission were going to be nice upgrades. One of those "my brother works for Jeep design in Michigan" type deals. Shared a few details with me. We'll see.

Top Bottom