Cold air intake? Worth it or nah..

Chasemr11

Ive been reading and researching cool air intakes on jeeps and have seen good and bad reviews...is it even worth the money or is it mainly just a waste..or is there anything else that would have better results?

JAGS

Hooked
Ive been reading and researching cool air intakes on jeeps and have seen good and bad reviews...is it even worth the money or is it mainly just a waste..or is there anything else that would have better results?

I'm sure its awesome. Right up until your engine takes a premature crap and Chrysler voids your warranty.

WJCO

Meme King
I like cold air intakes but on a jeep, there is really no need. I have one due to having to relocate my washer bottle. I would rather have stock.

JMFK

Just get a K&N filter to replace the stock one. I've always liked them. Improved air flow, less cost, and 100% reusable.

swampdog

Just run the factory interval and inspect / replace regularly. It's a 3.6L V6, power is never going to be a V8. To me, the cool sound is not worth a pig that burns oil at 80k miles

aldaman

Like what others mentioned, either replace the stock filter as scheduled or use an aftermarket drop in filter. If you do any type of water forging that cold air intake may make it easier to get hydro locked...

martinzusmc

I have a CAI on my Supercharged JK and currently converting it back to an enclosed filter. You have to maintain it or get a pre-filter for dusty roads ( just not worth it). The only advantage I have personally seen for CAI is on a supercharged 2013 mustang that I had dyno tuned and pushing 610 RWHP. The CAI was only after about 5k in other mods. It is overpriced snake oil that doesn't gain you anything for anything stock, especially a JK or even a mildly supercharged JK.

Chasemr11

Another random question ...a snorkel how much does that restrict air flow or is it even a noticeable difference?

Chasemr11

I bought the jeep to go off road and rock crawl..i am stationed in new mexico so my chances of hitting water or high mud is low but im from florida and will be going back eventually so swamping will be happening which is why i would consider a snorkel..but to answer you its a project of mine that i plan to use off road and on the street rarely

WJCO

Meme King
I bought the jeep to go off road and rock crawl..i am stationed in new mexico so my chances of hitting water or high mud is low but im from florida and will be going back eventually so swamping will be happening which is why i would consider a snorkel..but to answer you its a project of mine that i plan to use off road and on the street rarely

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't waste time or money on any of that 'performance' stuff.

JeepJeep75

I say nah. It's not a Honda Civic. Your not gonna magically free up a bunch of trapped horses by putting an overpriced air filter on your jeep.

Josh27

I have had the K&N cold air intake on mine for about 2 years now. Yeah, the sound is cool, Ive been asked if I have an exhaust system because of it (which I don't). As far as performance goes, my butt dyno feels a little better acceleration when you get on it at highway speeds, but nothing much more than the factory air box. Other than that it doesn't do much. Water is a concern for me, being that I did have it stall on me going through a rather large puddle once but luckily not much got into the intake and it started back up. After that I ordered the pre filter to help block some water and haven't really had a problem since. But I do try to avoid large puddles now too.... As mentioned, a drop in filter for your stock box it probably the best option.

Last edited:

Lukasd

I like my Mopar CAI. It's supported and sold by Jeep dealers.

Extra air and extra exhaust capacity are a good thing.

It's a dry filter and easy to clean.

My two cents..

TennJK

I mean my CAI was cool when I first installed it. It sounds pretty cool for awhile. A year down the road, no it's not really worth it. It helps if you pair it with an exhaust. But all in all, no not really.

Top Bottom