Power Distribution in your JK

jmeredith

How are you guys doing power distribution in your JK jeeps? I have a four-door and I'm looking at various options... Would love to see some pictures of various kinds of installations...

-Jason

jmeredith

So I work with Helicopters everyday and I have been kicking around the idea of using the pull out circuit breakers for my "extra" electronics, lights, and such... I'm gonna try to have a panel etched to mimic the Helo with labels for what each breaker is for... Now, where to mount it??

-Jason

jmeredith

I'm just curious how others are running power to their goodies... I have seen the switch panel that mounts in the area in front of the shifter, and an a pilar mount but I'm curious about any more "custom" solutions :) I did stereo installs back about 20 years ago and we did some pretty cool things with power distribution. Just curious how others are doing it... I am not a big fan of having 30 different wires coming off the battery :) I want to take a large gauge wire to a central point and run the items from there.

-J

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I'm just curious how others are running power to their goodies... I have seen the switch panel that mounts in the area in front of the shifter, and an a pilar mount but I'm curious about any more "custom" solutions :) I did stereo installs back about 20 years ago and we did some pretty cool things with power distribution. Just curious how others are doing it... I am not a big fan of having 30 different wires coming off the battery :) I want to take a large gauge wire to a central point and run the items from there.

-J

Untitled.jpg

I added a terminal strip on my Fj under the dash for power and ground. so I had one power wire from battery and one ground wire from frame to the strip. then jumper each terminal with power and ground as needed... if that makes sense:thinking: I wish I had the pic's for it. It worked out great.

Last edited:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I use an sPOD, works great. There are similar companies building similar products though.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
View attachment 11144

I added a terminal strip on my Fj under the dash for power and ground. so I had one power wire from battery and one ground wire from frame to the strip. then jumper each terminal with power and ground as needed... if that makes sense:thinking: I wish I had the pic's for it. It worked out great.

I made a drawing if this will help you, just one way and cheap...

jmeredith

Yeah I have a few terminal strips left over from my DIY sous vide cooker... They will be used on this project whichever way I decide to go :)

-J

Holeshot

Banned
I've installed a daystar switch panel in my friends jk, and I had to build a custom fusebox for it. I placed it under the dash on driver side, screwed on the dash frame.

2012-10-18 20.02.59.jpg 2012-10-18 20.28.38.jpg 2012-11-29 18.01.48.jpg 2012-11-29 18.13.16.jpg

Deuane

With sPOD, I am just wondering about the big cable like your winch or power converter, would it deal with that type of cable?

SoCalDozer

So I work with Helicopters everyday and I have been kicking around the idea of using the pull out circuit breakers for my "extra" electronics, lights, and such... I'm gonna try to have a panel etched to mimic the Helo with labels for what each breaker is for... Now, where to mount it??

-Jason

I have some extra circuit breakers from my extra box so to speak as well from the heli's. What kind do you work on? I work on H60's

LoPo

Caught the Bug
With sPOD, I am just wondering about the big cable like your winch or power converter, would it deal with that type of cable?

My winch is wired directly to the battery. Not sure it's possible to route through the sPOD.

dchew

A winch draws too many amps to be wired to one of their relays (30 amp max). They do not recommend trying to route the winch control circuit through one of their switches either.

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom