Nood question about 4h and 4l in my Tj

Dustless

Ok this being my frist 4x4 vehicle the 4wd part is all new to me, I have put it into 4h a few times when the roads where bad and my ass end was slidding all over and to good off in parking lots a bit to get used to how the jeep handles . But my question is that after i come to a stop or i am going slow and i am trying to make a turn its jerky and makes me think i am catching something as i am turning in 4h or 4L, Is this normal of a jeep and should be expected?

Sorry for the noob question but i have only owned fwd cars before this.:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's normal if you are in 4WD on a surface witha lot of traction like pavement. You should NOT be in 4WD unless the ground you're on is loose like dirt, gravel, rocks, snow, ice, etc. Doing so can lead to an axle break or worse.

Dustless

It's normal if you are in 4WD on a surface witha lot of traction like pavement. You should NOT be in 4WD unless the ground you're on is loose like dirt, gravel, rocks, snow, ice, etc. Doing so can lead to an axle break or worse.

ok thats what i thought, i have been good about that and only had it in 4h in the snow when i cant get the jeep to stay straight from the back slidding around to much :rock: granted that is fun but my co workers dont like it to much :cheesy:

and as for the 4l i have had it in that once and it was to climb around on ice packed snow banks on the side a hill by my work, co worker wanted to see what my jeep could do as he is in the market for a car and might be looking into a jeep after rideing with me for the past year :yup:

yeah i only felt the jerky parts starting off from a stop while turning when all the tires have alot a grip before they start slipping in deep snow or loose dirt :)

Dustless

Thank you for the help Eddie! I have learnt so much from this site already. I can't wait tell I can follow you up some trails!!

Chairokey

Did you mean specifically 4 low? The book that came with my 2012 says you can drive in 4 high like normal if you want to (if I remember correctly.) would you disagree?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you mean specifically 4 low? The book that came with my 2012 says you can drive in 4 high like normal if you want to (if I remember correctly.) would you disagree?

You definitely DO NOT want to drive in 4LO on pavement. You can drive in 4HI on pavement but, I wouldn't recommend it - not unless it were wet, snowy or the like.

Chairokey

You definitely DO NOT want to drive in 4LO on pavement. You can drive in 4HI on pavement but, I wouldn't recommend it - not unless it were wet, snowy or the like.

Right, that makes sense. I've been kind of curious about 4hi honestly. I used it on the way to work the other day and my gas mileage was just as good as 2wd. Couldn't wrap my head around why it wouldn't be worse

Dustless

Hey Eddie, quick question. When going out on trails and stuff when do you disconnect the sway bars, think that's right.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigfoot

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - 4X4 Rock-Trac 4WD System Explained

The following video clip explains all you need to know about the 4x4 system.
Take note that some features like lockers and sway bar disconnects only come with the Rubicon.

Dustless

Take note that some features like lockers and sway bar disconnects only come with the Rubicon.

Sweet that explains a lot thank you

Sent from my SGH-T989 using WAYALIFE mobile app

woggie

Great video, thanks for sharing it. Just sent it to a friend that has a brand new Rubicon.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom