Does EVO manufacture a mid arm kit?

Nick Zambo

Does EVO manufacturing have any plans on manufacturing a mid arm kit for the jeep JK? I would hate to buy another manufacturer and have them shortly come out with one afterwards.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Long arms are approximately 10" longer than factory arms. The word "mid" would imply something that's half way between "factory length" and a "long arm" and a control arm that's about an inch too long is far from what I'd consider "half way". In other words, the term "mid arm" is just a marketing term that companies like Rock Krawler came up with. The reality of it is, all you get are arms that are too long and they will give you issues like your coils rubbing on your rear track bar. In other words, I don't think EVO would make something gimmick like this just like most companies wouldn't.

Nick Zambo

Got it! Thanks. Can I ask what you would consider for arms? I am looking at keeping the factory control arm location on both the frame and axles. And both manufacturers I looked at such as Metal Cloak and Rock Krawler seem to have to many issues. I am looking for some honest advice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got it! Thanks. Can I ask what you would consider for arms? I am looking at keeping the factory control arm location on both the frame and axles. And both manufacturers I looked at such as Metal Cloak and Rock Krawler seem to have to many issues. I am looking for some honest advice.

If you're just looking for new replacement arms that are heavier duty and are adjustable, I personally would recommend Currie or EVO arms. From my experience, both are made well, made in the USA and come with tried and true Johnny Joints on both ends. If you're not running really big flex, the kind that coil overs will give you, Full Traction and Clayton make really good arms as well. Both utilize clevite bushings on the frame end for a squeak free and energy absorbing ride. Full Traction utilizes a massive FK rod end on the axle and Clayton uses a Johnny Joint. There are others out there that are pretty good but these are what I would consider first.

Jeepfan30

I have had Metalcloak, Rock Krawler and EVO front lower control arms on my 2014 JKU.

The RK arms were first, they were very stout arms but the joints are almost metal on metal which can add to a harsh ride. Many people have complaints with the RK arms being too long (mid-arm) especially the rear arms which bows the coils springs and which makes components start rubbing.

The MC arms were not as stout as the RK, but the joints are the big selling/advertising point on these arms. MC advertises all the misalighnment in their videos, but not really applicable to any coil spring/shock suspension travel capabilities. I thought the MC arms were too mushy feeling and didn't feel confident in running a completely rubber joint.

EVO front lowers is what I have settled on and I have no complaints about them. About as beefy as you can get, JJ on both ends, adjustable on the vehicle. I could tell a difference in the ride immediately after removing the MC and adding the EVO arms...in a good way! Oh, and guess what...my flex is not affected because control arms do not determine articulation like some companies advertise. I will use the EVO arms on my next build as well, great product IMO.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have had Metalcloak, Rock Krawler and EVO front lower control arms on my 2014 JKU.

The RK arms were first, they were very stout arms but the joints are almost metal on metal which can add to a harsh ride. Many people have complaints with the RK arms being too long (mid-arm) especially the rear arms which bows the coils springs and which makes components start rubbing.

The MC arms were not as stout as the RK, but the joints are the big selling/advertising point on these arms. MC advertises all the misalighnment in their videos, but not really applicable to any coil spring/shock suspension travel capabilities. I thought the MC arms were too mushy feeling and didn't feel confident in running a completely rubber joint.

EVO front lowers is what I have settled on and I have no complaints about them. About as beefy as you can get, JJ on both ends, adjustable on the vehicle. I could tell a difference in the ride immediately after removing the MC and adding the EVO arms...in a good way! Oh, and guess what...my flex is not affected because control arms do not determine articulation like some companies advertise. I will use the EVO arms on my next build as well, great product IMO.

Nice first hand experience review :thumb:

Nick Zambo

Thanks! I appreciate the honesty. I will now begin to research the manufacturers mentioned above. Again thanks for the honest advice.

mastrcruse

How old were your RK arms? Really the only thing near "metal on metal? would be if you went with the max travel kits within the midarm category and one of the packages that have the heim joints on each end. The long arm category has the pro krawler kits which also have the heim joints on each side. I know the older kits had a bit more of that but that was when they were shipping dual rate springs which stopped at least 3 years ago.

As the other thread, I've seen so many crappy reviews about MC, I'd run from them. Evo and Rk would be the ones I recommend to anyone. I went with the RK stuff because I didn't know about Evo when I first got into Jeeps. However, I would say after 25k miles, I have no complaints about my ride. The upside to the Evo arms is the use of the Johnny Joints which NEVER seem to fail. Rk has had some issues in the past with bad bushings failing so overall the JJ are looked at as being a superior product. As I said in the last thread, I think you cant go wrong with Evo or Rk....you'll have great on and off road performance with both. Great thing is if you try one and don't like it, they both sell for a good amount of coin used.

I'd say, go with the Evo and try it out. Then if you don't like something about the kit...you can always mix and match ect to get exactly the ride you're looking for. And as Eddie said, theres really no "mid-arm"...its what RK puts out there. The arms that originally came with the midarm kits would push the rear back an inch. Not sure if this is why RK called is the midarm but the 1" causes problems with the 2 doors which is why they now have JK and JKU specific kits.

Last edited:

Jeepfan30

How old were your RK arms? Really the only thing near "metal on metal? would be if you went with the max travel kits within the midarm category and one of the packages that have the heim joints on each end. The long arm category has the pro krawler kits which also have the heim joints on each side. I know the older kits had a bit more of that but that was when they were shipping dual rate springs which stopped at least 3 years ago.

As the other thread, I've seen so many crappy reviews about MC, I'd run from them. Evo and Rk would be the ones I recommend to anyone. I went with the RK stuff because I didn't know about Evo when I first got into Jeeps. However, I would say after 25k miles, I have no complaints about my ride. The upside to the Evo arms is the use of the Johnny Joints which NEVER seem to fail. Rk has had some issues in the past with bad bushings failing so overall the JJ are looked at as being a superior product. As I said in the last thread, I think you cant go wrong with Evo or Rk....you'll have great on and off road performance with both. Great thing is if you try one and don't like it, they both sell for a good amount of coin used.

I'd say, go with the Evo and try it out. Then if you don't like something about the kit...you can always mix and match ect to get exactly the ride you're looking for. And as Eddie said, theres really no "mid-arm"...its what RK puts out there. The arms that originally came with the midarm kits would push the rear back an inch. Not sure if this is why RK called is the midarm but the 1" causes problems with the 2 doors which is why they now have JK and JKU specific kits.

The RK arms that I had were about 2 years old, the ones right before they put the durometer bushing on the frame side. By metal to metal I just meant the spherical ball was separated from the metal housing by some type of thin urethane liner.

bouche03

RK will custom make you any length arms. The issue with the rear track bar rubbing is a thing of the past. Thats said, Evo is great and the joints are terrific

Nick Zambo

What do you want them for?

In the somewhat near future I am hoping to wheel harder trails, run pro rock 44 and 37 inch tires, replace things as things break. But as of right now I am slowly researching and buying product as the cash flow allows to build a better jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
The issue with the rear track bar rubbing is a thing of the past.

Sorry, but I beg to differ on this. My rear track bar does rub on the coil on the passenger side and my kit is not even a year old. Every once in a while I get a really nice clunk that makes you pull over to see WTF is going on back there. And the rear coils look like slinkies. I bought the RK mid arm kit before I read up enough on them. I liked the fact that it moved the rear axle back an inch in the wheel opening but didn't understand the ramifications of doing so.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the kit itself is bad but if you go RK skip the mid arm version. If I could do it over I would be an EVO "fanboy" as the dumbass trolls like to say. Theres a reason for that and if you do more research on this site you'll see why...

Ddays

Hooked
Also, don't buy into the hype that you HAVE to replace your stock control arms. Other than adjustable front lowers you can run the stock ones with a lift.

bouche03

Sorry, but I beg to differ on this. My rear track bar does rub on the coil on the passenger side and my kit is not even a year old. Every once in a while I get a really nice clunk that makes you pull over to see WTF is going on back there. And the rear coils look like slinkies. I bought the RK mid arm kit before I read up enough on them. I liked the fact that it moved the rear axle back an inch in the wheel opening but didn't understand the ramifications of doing so.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the kit itself is bad but if you go RK skip the mid arm version. If I could do it over I would be an EVO "fanboy" as the dumbass trolls like to say. Theres a reason for that and if you do more research on this site you'll see why...

Which goes to my point-RK will make you ANY length arms you want. Doing my research and knowing the issue with the rear track bar ahead and the rear axle being moved an inch back ahead of time, I chose to forego that and got shorter length rear arms.

deadguy

I have an older (5+ years) "mid arm" rk kit on my 2 door with the axle moved back 1".... It did rub the coil at first but if you roll the track bar out towards the rear of the jeep it will clear. Not by much but enough not to rub. The axle side track bar that came with my kit had a spherical end so the tiny bit of offset doesn't bother it or bind it up.

MTG

Caught the Bug
In the somewhat near future I am hoping to wheel harder trails, run pro rock 44 and 37 inch tires, replace things as things break. But as of right now I am slowly researching and buying product as the cash flow allows to build a better jeep.

You don't need a midarm kit for that.

Top Bottom