O2 sensor error, need advice.

Trail Bud

Hooked
I have a 07 JK, I recently had work done on the jeep and was told one of the O2 sensor wires had melted. When I brought the jeep in I had no idea of this and there was no check engine light on.
After I get the jeep back there's s code saying the heater element of the O2 sensor is not working. And so it sends a error code and puts the check engine light on. I had all of the sensors replaced while it was there.
The garage told me of this on pick up and asked if I had the check engine light on. I said no the only time I had a check engine light on was when the gas cap was clogged from dust. I clean it and it goes off.
My question is what is bad that causes this? The computer, wiring? Could the garage have shorted the sensor, computer or something else?
I want this fixed and I'm trying to find out a cost and how it could of happened. If the garage may be responsible I want them to pick up the cost.
This is above my knowledge base and help would be appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You wouldn't be getting a code if it were a computer issue. Assuming the sensor is good, sounds like it could be a wiring issue.

WJCO

Meme King
Do you have the old part? Was the wire melted from touching the exhaust or just melted by itself? If melted by itself, it could be the sensor itself or harness or pcm.

EDIT: I see you got the code after picking up the Jeep. What kind of work did they do on it, other than the new o2 sensors?

Trail Bud

Hooked
You wouldn't be getting a code if it were a computer issue. Assuming the sensor is good, sounds like it could be a wiring issue.

Good then I won't have the replacement cost of a computer.
Could this be a shop error? Could this have happened by chance?

Last edited:

Trail Bud

Hooked
Do you have the old part? Was the wire melted from touching the exhaust or just melted by itself? If melted by itself, it could be the sensor itself or harness or pcm.

EDIT: I see you got the code after picking up the Jeep. What kind of work did they do on it, other than the new o2 sensors?

I don't know how it melted. I had a motor replaced with headers installed.
I don't want to go after the shop if it could have been a not their issue.
I personally don't have any idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how it melted. I had a motor replaced with headers installed.
I don't want to go after the shop if it could have been a not their issue.
I personally don't have any idea.

Those headers get stupid hot and are known to melt all kinds of wires. Might need to wrap them in some shielding.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Those headers get stupid hot and are known to melt all kinds of wires. Might need to wrap them in some shielding.

I've already done that. The issue was found before the old motor was removed.
I haven't driven it that much knowing I could cause a melting issue.
I have wrapped the harnesses with header wrap insulation and now I'm making aluminum heat shields. I have plug wires that are rated at 1400 degrees.
Thanks for the advice too.

Moochie

Sometimes it takes awhile for this type of code to clear. I had to drive mine about 500 miles before an O2 sensor code was cleared from the system. This was caused when I disconnected the battery for a few days.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Sometimes it takes awhile for this type of code to clear. I had to drive mine about 500 miles before an O2 sensor code was cleared from the system. This was caused when I disconnected the battery for a few days.

That's good to know Carl. Thanks!!
I just see what happens then decide what to do.
I only driven about 30 miles so far.
Hope your doing well.

Moochie

That's good to know Carl. Thanks!!
I just see what happens then decide what to do.
I only driven about 30 miles so far.
Hope your doing well.

Doing good Doug! It's good to hear your Jeep is back on the road. I also had the O2 heater code showing up. My issues were with the sensor self testing functions. I was surprised at how long it took to clear. I was needing an emissions test and this had me worried. This might not be your problem but, just a thought.

jeeeep

Hooked
when I had headers installed they melted plug wires and also a O2 sensor, if I recall correctly it was the passenger side sensor.

this was with the heat shields installed, the design of the plug wires are just too close to the header design. I've since removed the headers since all I had was issues with them.

Gibson shorty headers - ceramic coated and still too hot for the engine bay.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Doing good Doug! It's good to hear your Jeep is back on the road. I also had the O2 heater code showing up. My issues were with the sensor self testing functions. I was surprised at how long it took to clear. I was needing an emissions test and this had me worried. This might not be your problem but, just a thought.

Glad to be back on the road. Hope this is my issue.
Thanks Carl.

Trail Bud

Hooked
when I had headers installed they melted plug wires and also a O2 sensor, if I recall correctly it was the passenger side sensor.

this was with the heat shields installed, the design of the plug wires are just too close to the header design. I've since removed the headers since all I had was issues with them.

Gibson shorty headers - ceramic coated and still too hot for the engine bay.

That's the same one I had melt. This was before headers though. Like I mentioned earlier I'm making heat shields too and wrapping too. I'm using RIPP long tube headers. Hope it works out.
Thanks for the input.

Trail Bud

Hooked
What are you making them out of? Hope you get it fixed up soon so we can go have some fun...

Using sheet steel. This is what I've done so far. It works for the wires on the fire wall.
This is 1t version I'll modify as I go if needed.
Still want to do this on the passenger side o2 sensor. Then wrap it with header heat wrap. I've done this to the harness on the passenger frame rail and it's working good so far.
I want to be done so we can go play ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462631870.639932.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462631928.068200.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462631928.068200.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
you may want to check out DEI Floor & Tunnel Shield II, instead of just using plain metal. I tried using metal and that sucker transferred the heat.

also look at adding a 2nd layer of shield over the starter. I know with the shorty headers the starter with stock shielding wasn't enough.

by the time I was done trying to heat shield the plugs and other wires I had so much crap in the way I thought if I had trouble on the trail I'd be spending an hour uncovering shit lol...

I know the shorty tubes probably have all their bulk higher up vs. long tube so you may not have as many heat issues.

post up how the long tube headers do and your heat results :thumb:

almost forgot - if you have PSC steering be sure to protect the reservoir - I had to shield under the reservoir as well.

Trail Bud

Hooked
you may want to check out DEI Floor & Tunnel Shield II, instead of just using plain metal. I tried using metal and that sucker transferred the heat.

also look at adding a 2nd layer of shield over the starter. I know with the shorty headers the starter with stock shielding wasn't enough.

by the time I was done trying to heat shield the plugs and other wires I had so much crap in the way I thought if I had trouble on the trail I'd be spending an hour uncovering shit lol...

I know the shorty tubes probably have all their bulk higher up vs. long tube so you may not have as many heat issues.

post up how the long tube headers do and your heat results :thumb:

almost forgot - if you have PSC steering be sure to protect the reservoir - I had to shield under the reservoir as well.

I'll look at the shields you mentioned thanks.
I do have a PSC steering. The reservoir is up front by the radiator. I don't think will be an issue. Where was yours?
I'll let you know how thing work out.
Thanks for the advice.
Wanted to add I'm ordering DEI heat shield. That's a good find. Thanks!

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I'll look at the shields you mentioned thanks.
I do have a PSC steering. The reservoir is up front by the radiator. I don't think will be an issue. Where was yours?
I'll let you know how thing work out.
Thanks for the advice.
Wanted to add I'm ordering DEI heat shield. That's a good find. Thanks!
my psc res is on the battery case so it sat above the headers.
that DEI is good stuff, hope it works out for you

Trail Bud

Hooked
Dr diesel1
I got an email but I don't see the message.
So I wanted to answer.

---Quote (Originally by wayoflife)---
You need to look at other JK's running headers. I've seen a lot melted even with wraps and shielding just like jeeeep said.
---End Quote---
Is it melted wires from exhaust system heat ? Or are you saying it's from a shorted wire/sensor ?

Most HO2S are powered by a 10 amp fuse for the heaters. The fuse will pop before the wire melts.

Every case of melted wires that I've had the pleasure of looking at was from contact with the exhaust system.
Can you explain what you're referring to ?

IT melted wires before the motor swap so I'm assuming from exhaust heat on the passenger side.
They repaired but I now have the check engine light on. It wasn't in before they did the motor swap.
Can you tell me is the fuse for the sensor in the main fuse box? I haven't looked to see if that's an issue.
Thinks

Drdiesel1

Dr diesel1
I got an email but I don't see the message.
So I wanted to answer.

---Quote (Originally by wayoflife)---
You need to look at other JK's running headers. I've seen a lot melted even with wraps and shielding just like jeeeep said.
---End Quote---
Is it melted wires from exhaust system heat ? Or are you saying it's from a shorted wire/sensor ?

Most HO2S are powered by a 10 amp fuse for the heaters. The fuse will pop before the wire melts.

Every case of melted wires that I've had the pleasure of looking at was from contact with the exhaust system.
Can you explain what you're referring to ?

IT melted wires before the motor swap so I'm assuming from exhaust heat on the passenger side.
They repaired but I now have the check engine light on. It wasn't in before they did the motor swap.
Can you tell me is the fuse for the sensor in the main fuse box? I haven't looked to see if that's an issue.
Thinks

Certainly! The power comes from the MTIP (by the book) but you might know it as the TIPM and through the ASD relay.
It powers fuse M19 on the gas rigs. Here's 2 circuit diagrams for you to reference :thumb: Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

Top Bottom