Check Engine Light P0441-----Help!!!

papisnail

Hello! I'm a newbie with a '13 Wrangler that just started throwing a P0441 code (EVAP Purge System Performance) at 43000 miles. I verified 9.4 vdc to purge valve, 15 ohms between terminals on the valve, no apparent cracks or punctures under the hood or around the vapor canister. Also no apparent fueling issues, and no evidence of damage to the vapor canister. When checking the purge valve I did not notice any charcoal on the quick connect. Please help.....this little light is pissing me off!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: Really trying not to go to dealer.

Scrambler

Hello! I'm a newbie with a '13 Wrangler that just started throwing a P0441 code (EVAP Purge System Performance) at 43000 miles. I verified 9.4 vdc to purge valve, 15 ohms between terminals on the valve, no apparent cracks or punctures under the hood or around the vapor canister. Also no apparent fueling issues, and no evidence of damage to the vapor canister. When checking the purge valve I did not notice any charcoal on the quick connect. Please help.....this little light is pissing me off!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: Really trying not to go to dealer.

Welcome to WAL...

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like a purge valve. Parts store could clear the code, then see if it comes back.

Drdiesel1

Voltage at the valve should be B+

Possible Causes
FUEL TANK PRESSURE (FTP) SENSOR 5–VOLT SUPPLY OPEN CIRCUIT OR EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE
EVAP PURGE SOLENOID VACUUM SUPPLY
EVAPORATIVE PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND FRESH AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION
EVAP PURGE SOLENOID
FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR
OBSTRUCTED ESIM FRESH AIR FILTER
OBSTRUCTED LINE BETWEEN THE FUEL TANK AND CANISTER
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

papisnail

Voltage at the valve should be B+

Possible Causes
FUEL TANK PRESSURE (FTP) SENSOR 5–VOLT SUPPLY OPEN CIRCUIT OR EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE
EVAP PURGE SOLENOID VACUUM SUPPLY
EVAPORATIVE PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND FRESH AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION
EVAP PURGE SOLENOID
FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR
OBSTRUCTED ESIM FRESH AIR FILTER
OBSTRUCTED LINE BETWEEN THE FUEL TANK AND CANISTER
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me take another look at everything. If I understand you correctly the valve requires the ~~12 vdc to activate? Please explain.....should I be looking for a constant B+ at the valve or only under certain conditions? I checked the voltage after operation and allowing a cool down period. Also, I have noticed that the idle is just a bit rougher...barely noticeable.

Drdiesel1

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me take another look at everything. If I understand you correctly the valve requires the ~~12 vdc to activate? Please explain.....should I be looking for a constant B+ at the valve or only under certain conditions? I checked the voltage after operation and allowing a cool down period. Also, I have noticed that the idle is just a bit rougher...barely noticeable.

The PCM controls the circuit. I'm not sure what the voltage will be coming from the PCM because it's
not fed by a fuse. I would unplug the solenoid with the key on and check the voltage to the solenoid.
I've also had issues when the vent solenoid gets filled with dirt and or the filter gets plugged with dirt.

Here's a wiring diagram. Jeep.jpg

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
The PCM controls the circuit. I'm not sure what the voltage will be coming from the PCM because it's
not fed by a fuse. I would unplug the solenoid with the key on and check the voltage to the solenoid.
I've also had issues when the vent solenoid gets filled with dirt and or the filter gets plugged with dirt.

Here's a wiring diagram. View attachment 202004

Great info!

papisnail

Thanks for the great help! Turns out it was the purge valve. :thumb: So glad this forum is available with all this expertise.........

Pazitive44

I went to battle w this code ...
2015 w 58k miles
I changed purge solenoid under the hood....no help...

Changed the ESIM valve on canister ....Bingo !!!!

Emissions Passed !!!

Success 20191113_152902.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom