Hood louvers

Gibbo

How come I havn't seen any of you people using hood louvers. My big girl gets very hot under the hood, and I thought maybe those from Poison spyder might help. Are they a no go for some reason? What are your thoughts?

MTG

Caught the Bug
FoxC in vegas has them. I've never had a problem with the engine running too hot...even on vegas runs.

Gibbo

We have a hot spell coming in the next two weeks with temps. forcast 41-44°c. My thermo fan was coming on every chance it got today, so that prompted my question. So they're ok, its just a personal choice kind'a thing.

rtguy1

i run the poison spyder louver as well. don't really see any change with my temp gauge, but I do see heat rising up out of it. i got it mostly for looks :blush:. i think it looks sweet. much cheaper than buying a new hood, unless of course you go with the evo hood/fender combo which i think really looks great. no issues with water getting in so far either.
View attachment 11122 View attachment 11123

Moochie

With a stock hood I've never seen my temp go any higher then normal on the trail. Once it creeped up on a long grade, with a 110 degree outside temperature, on the highway. This is with 37's, auto and 513 gears. 75,000 miles on it.

gouacats

I NEEDED them on my TJ (I had a heat soak issue) and had the Gen Right version. They worked great and were a piece of cake to install...I just used a hole saw rather than cutting the entire opening, which I think helped keep the rigidity of the hood somewhat intact. I haven't needed them on my JK.

kiwi

How come I havn't seen any of you people using hood louvers. My big girl gets very hot under the hood, and I thought maybe those from Poison spyder might help. Are they a no go for some reason? What are your thoughts?

You must be in Perth with temps hitting 44! I run the Poison Spyder louvre because I was having trouble melting spark plug wires, because of my Banks headers. Man those things get hot! I also removed my inner fenders and never had a problem since!

Attachments

• image-2182785274.jpg
    image-2182785274.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 127

Gibbo

Great thanks for the info and pics. My other concern is the compressor for the lockers gets so hot under there you can't touch it. It's up to me to decide now. If anything else, they do look good me thinks.:thumb:

Moochie

Gibbo said:
Great thanks for the info and pics. My other concern is the compressor for the lockers gets so hot under there you can't touch it. It's up to me to decide now. If anything else, they do look good me thinks.:thumb:

Lockers should be rarely used. Compressor will get more of a work out airing up tires. Usually with the hood open and even then, it's hot to the touch.

Gibbo

Lockers should be rarely used. Compressor will get more of a work out airing up tires. Usually with the hood open and even then, it's hot to the touch.

Oh thanks, the heat on the compressor is only of concern when in use, not when sitting idle. Also I see some of you have taken out the inner fenders, can I do that with the stock fenders, or are they needed for support.

Robar

The Enforcer
I had these Genright louvers on my '07 JK.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a little write up I did:

Summers just around the corner, so I thought I would help vent the heat under the JK's hood. I decided that I would use GenRight short black hood louvers. They are 7 3/4" long by 8" wide. I ordered a set directly from GenRight for about $70 shipped and had them in about a week. Thanks to Timberwolf for lending a hand with the installation.

attachment.php

Needed tools:
- Tape
- Touch up paint
- Pop rivet gun
- Measuring tape
- Razor blade
- Drill w/ 1/8" bit
- Cutting tool, I used a Dremel.
- 9mm wrench or socket
- Center punch

I started out by removing the under hood insulation and the footman loop from the hood and setting them aside. You will reinstall these later.

attachment.php

I figured out where I was going to place the vents and protected the work area with tape then measured and marked for my cuts and holes that need to be drilled.
When deciding the location for the louvers you should study the under side of the hood and locate a sufficient area that does not interfere too much with the hood support brace.

attachment.php

attachment.php

*** Please be sure to measure and then double check all your measurements prior to drilling or cutting into the hood.

After double checking my measurements and confirming the location I wanted the louvers I used a center punch to dimple the holes where I would be drilling the attachment points for the louvers. I then drilled the holes where the pop rivets would be installed to fasten the louvers to the hood.

attachment.php

After drilling the attachment holes it's now too late to turn back or change your mind, unless you just want a perforated hood.
The hood metal is thin so I decided I would use a Dremel tool with a reinforced cutting disk to cut the area out that allows for the air flow. Be sure to get a couple packs of cutting disks. I used about eight for this project.

attachment.php

After cutting out both areas for the air flow I was left with two oddly shaped holes in the hood with a portion of the hood support visible.

attachment.php

After cutting through the skin of the hood I trimmed away a small section of the hood support.

attachment.php

After removing some excess portions of the hood support I changed to a small grinding stone on the Dremel and smoothed and deburred the edges of my cuts and used some black high heat gloss paint to cover the bare metal on the hood.

attachment.php

After letting the paint dry I removed the tape then laid the under hood insulation back in place and outlined the area of the insulation that needed to be trimmed away to allow for air flow from under the hood. I then removed the insulation and trimmed the holes according to my markings.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I again set the under hood insulation aside.

My next step was to use a pop rivet gun to install the supplied rivets that attach the louvers to the hood.

attachment.php

After installing the rivets and securing the louvers to the hood in reinstalled the footman loop and under hood insulation.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The install of the louvers is complete with the exception of using some touch up paint to touch up the top of the rivets.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and I expect to get about 15 mpg more than before this modification and increase my top end speed by about 30 mph. :kisswink: Actually heat is one of the main enemies to engines and electronics. I read that hood louvers can reduce the heat level under the hood by 30 or 40 degrees and if this is true it may help prolong the life of some of my JK's components and if they don't, well they still look pretty cool.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

FoxC

here's a pic of the long GenRight louvers:
083 (640x480).jpg

I'm not analytic enough to have measured before and after under hood temps to know exactly how much of a difference it really makes...:thinking:, but, sitting at a traffic light or especially on the trail crawling and then waiting for the rig in front of me to clear an obstacle with the engine idling you can really see the heat rolling up out of the louvers. My son even said it looks like I have two small jet engines under there.:yup:
I would say do it if you are interested in the looks. I am sure it reduces some heat, but maybe not worth it for this reason alone. I personally love the look. I'm tossing the idea around to add the PSC louver to the middle. I always liked the look of hood louvers on hot rods when I was a kid, so why not? Its a easy and cheap way to be a little different.

Top Bottom