If you could go back, and do it again...how would you do it?

Pursesnatcher

Rewind to when you first purchased your Jeep. What were some things you thought about? What were some things you would have done differently? I need some help!

To give a little background, I've been researching Jeeps for the last year and gearing up to buy one this June. I'm trying to spend under $33k and I'm only interested in a 13+ Unlimited. My biggest dilemma is deciding to spend extra buck on a Rubicon for the axel features (gearing, lockers, 44 front axel)...Or, spend the money I would have into buying a Rubicon into a Sport on Wheels/Tires/Lift/Regear?

This was my thought process

a.) Pick up a 13+ Rubicon Unlimited, $31k-34k.
-Teraflex 2.5in or equivalent
-35in Toyo RT/Goodyear Duratrac/BFG K02 (stock wheels)
-stock gearing (4.10)
-Superchips flashcal
>upgrade over time

b.) Pick up a 13+ Sport Unlimited, $25k-30k.

-Evo 3in Enforcer
-35in Toyo RT/Goodyear Duratrac/BFG K02
-Banks monster exhaust
-superchips flashcal
-4.88 gearing, C gussets
-EVO front/rear bumper

This will be a DD (hence the AT's), and probably utilizing off road capabilities 2-3 times a month. Eventually I'd like to get a 4in long arm, drive lines, axel upgrades w lockers, 37s and more.

What would you do? Would you do something completely different than what I had in mind? Thanks!

-C

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I recommend option A. Pretty much what I did with the exception that mine had the 3.73 gearing.

I'd also see how much brand new Rubicons are going for in your area. I bought mine for $37k before taxes and title.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would compare new to used and rubicons to non rubis. If you can start dumping money into it immediately and get axles etc then might get a non rubi. However it sounds like you are only going to 35s for a bit and go the same route I did except diff tires. In that sense I would try to get a rubi if I were you and I would definitely compare new to used. Most used rubis in my area weren't that much cheaper than new. So I went new.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Unless things have changed dramatically with the resale value, I would save until I could afford a new Rubicon, and then save again until I could pay cash to get a proper lift (read: not teraflex) and all the parts I wanted.

This assumes you plan to keep it for a while.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I am in the same position as you are... Getting really close to pulling the trigger on a new Rubicon. Wayalife has been EXTREMELY helpful in my decision..... Here is what I've come up with:

1. 2014 or newer for better motor & less issues..

2. Buying a sport is only worth it if you have 25k sitting around to upgrade & the patience to do so.

3. Going straight to the rubicon w/ 4.10's, better transfer case & lockers, gets you moderately wheeling on 35's... Fun begins right out the gate!

4. Just need a lift, wheels, tires, skids (other minor accessories)

5. 35" tires..... Evo enforcer 3" w/springs for now.... Way Down the road upgradeable to coilovers, 37's & regear.

6. Buying used 14' doesn't show Huge savings.... probably just go with new 16'....

7. If decide to upgrade to pro rocks later, rubicon axles much easier to sell with better profit.

8. Better resale on Rubicon (if I had to)

This is where my research has led me... I think I'm on the right track... I could be way off....

Last edited:
I have a 6" lift and 37's, I thought that the bigger the lift the better. Now, since I don't plan on increasing tire size any time soon, I wish I would have gone with a 3-3.5" lift.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Make sure to get the 4.10s if you want to go to 35s immediately. In 2012 or 2013 I believe it was, the Rubis were offered with 3.73s. From then on you will find them with either one.

Or plan on a re gear also. Just something to think about.

For around the area I live I feel the 35s with the auto and 4.10 gears is about perfect. Should've came that way from the factory. Lol.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Get the Rubi less cost on labor for the upgrades. Then get your 35's and gussets after trimming your fenders. Mount a winch on your chopped stubby bumper...done. then you could get a leveling kit and new shocks for more articulation if you decided you need it. If 35's are your primary concern, chopping the fenders would nearly take care of that. Good luck and have some fun!

:thumb:

Rb1boxer_3

I'm glad I got my second chance at building another one. This time I'll do it right. Buy everything I want instead of buying things then later thinking I should have went with this instead.

I'm glad I got my second chance at building another one. This time I'll do it right. Buy everything I want instead of buying things then later thinking I should have went with this instead.

Yep, exactly. I have bought too many parts twice because I didn't have my final dream build in mind yet. If I knew I wanted to end with 37's and long arms w/ coilovers, I wouldn't have started with a budget boost and rancho 9000 shocks lol. I would have just saved from the beginning.

Rb1boxer_3

Oh might I add my first jeep was a 12' Rubicon. I had a lot on it. My new jeep I bought 4 days ago is a 13' sport. My rubi was 42k brand new with 9500 in upgrades. My sport was 27k and I plan on a complete build with axles atlas and other parts to make it better. Just what I think is best for me and I start from scratch a Lil something me and my boys could do together

Journeyman

I've really enjoyed the comforts and convenient of my rubicon. But.....if I was to do it all over again I would build just a dedicated toy. I'd start with the basic cheapest jku (sport?) and save my money for the rebuild of everything. Axles's, transfer case, suspension etc, etc, etc!
But if you want a daily driver that does both on and off road well and comfortable then the rubi is the way to go.

Top Bottom