Level 8 Pro Beadlocks

JoeB-JKURX

I can't recall where I saw it (or, perhaps, imagined it) but I seem to recall someone saying that Level 8 was going to make wheels that look like the Level 8 Pro wheels but which are true beadlocks. If this is true, I believe it would be incredibly useful to have what amounts to a rock ring outboard of the metal beadlock ring (I'd expect that the beadlock ring would be either mounted under the rock ring or have the rock ring molded onto the metal beadlock ring). Discount Tire - is there any truth to this?

Thanks

thardy

Banned
Based on the fact that Discount has a policy to not install beadlocks, I would imagine they wouldn't offer a wheel that they can't install.

Grubbicon

Dont know whether its true or not. However, id be willing to bed it would just be a beadlock ring that looks similar to the rock ring. Wouldnt be both

JoeB-JKURX

Discount and Beadlocks

Based on the fact that Discount has a policy to not install beadlocks, I would imagine they wouldn't offer a wheel that they can't install.

That's what I thought when I was at one of the local stores the other day. Fellow there said he could sell the wheels but could not install the tires on the wheels (used to be able to). He did say that he thought they could balance them after the customer installed them (or had them installed elsewhere).

I expect it's a liability thing but I do think Discount is missing the boat with their policy to not install beadlocks. They might not sell a lot of them but a high percentage of their priciest tires and wheels go on Jeeps (and other offroad vehicles). I've not checked but know that 4WP sells beadlocks and expect that they'd install and balance them as well. Since Discount already caters to the offroaders to a large degree, it would seem that they'd want to lock (pun intended) in the business.

Grubbicon

If a shop where to install beadlocks they would either be charging a ton of money or loosing there ass. Not sure if you have done a set, but if you do it right (all by hand) then it will take a fairly long time by yourself.

JoeB-JKURX

Either Way

That's what I thought when I was at one of the local stores the other day. Fellow there said he could sell the wheels but could not install the tires on the wheels (used to be able to). He did say that he thought they could balance them after the customer installed them (or had them installed elsewhere).

I expect it's a liability thing but I do think Discount is missing the boat with their policy to not install beadlocks. They might not sell a lot of them but a high percentage of their priciest tires and wheels go on Jeeps (and other offroad vehicles). I've not checked but know that 4WP sells beadlocks and expect that they'd install and balance them as well. Since Discount already caters to the offroaders to a large degree, it would seem that they'd want to lock (pun intended) in the business.

The other thing I heard (or may have imagined) is that the new Level 8 wheels can be run as either beadlocks or with the tire on a regular rim (either would also include the rock ring).

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If a shop where to install beadlocks they would either be charging a ton of money or loosing there ass. Not sure if you have done a set, but if you do it right (all by hand) then it will take a fairly long time by yourself.

I'm with you regardless of the potential liability the economics just don't stack up so why would they.

JoeB-JKURX

I'm with you regardless of the potential liability the economics just don't stack up so why would they.

I've not checked directly with 4WP but they have a corporate policy that they will install anything they sell. I know that they sell the Rock Monsters and also the inflatable internal beadlocks (Coyote and Staun). If it were me (and I was Discount), I'd just set a price or charge by the hour. I can't imagine anyone thinking that it should be done for free (considering how labor intensive it is).

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I don't think they would make a beadlock wheel. I have the bully pros and I agree with thardy about there policy. All though I do wish they were a true beadlock I love my wheels. I got the bully pros because beadlocks are illegal where I am and my wife uses it for her daily driver.

JoeB-JKURX

I don't think they would make a beadlock wheel. I have the bully pros and I agree with thardy about there policy. All though I do wish they were a true beadlock I love my wheels. I got the bully pros because beadlocks are illegal where I am and my wife uses it for her daily driver.

I read you on the Bully Pros - I've got them also and love the fact that the rock ring is gouged and dinged but the wheel is like new. I do run them at 10-12 psi and have yet do lose a bead (35" KM2s). I was getting my wheels rotated and balanced at Discount the other day is how this discussion came up for me. The manager at my local store wants to do beadlocks and is speaking with the corporate guys about doing something with them. Not sure how that is going but will check in in another 3000 miles.

Discount Tire

I can't recall where I saw it (or, perhaps, imagined it) but I seem to recall someone saying that Level 8 was going to make wheels that look like the Level 8 Pro wheels but which are true beadlocks. If this is true, I believe it would be incredibly useful to have what amounts to a rock ring outboard of the metal beadlock ring (I'd expect that the beadlock ring would be either mounted under the rock ring or have the rock ring molded onto the metal beadlock ring). Discount Tire - is there any truth to this?

Thanks

The other thing I heard (or may have imagined) is that the new Level 8 wheels can be run as either beadlocks or with the tire on a regular rim (either would also include the rock ring).

Thank you for the post, JoeB.

Level 8, as far as we know, has no plans on building a dedicated bead lock wheel. When the Pro Series line was first launched, there was talk about building the ZX model under the Pro Series line; maybe this is what you read?

As for service/installation of bead lock wheels... what has been mentioned is correct; although we can sell bead lock wheels.

Replying to your other thread ext, Joeb.

Top Bottom