Timing Cover Leak

Saharacon

I have a 2010 with the 3.8l, just hit 70k two days ago. Of course with that birthday I've developed some more issues. This one how ever I'm not quite sure how to go about.

To me it looks like the timing cover might be leaking some how. So much so it's gotten the pulley saturated which in turn got my belt coated in either Oil or coolant. I can't put my finger on exactly what this is.

I can get more photos and obviously degrease the area and clean it all up and check again. But I'm curious if anyone else from WAL has had these issues.

Sorry for the side way shot

Attachments

• 1462662549544.jpg
    1462662549544.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 87

jeeeep

Hooked
i don't see any leaking signs on the upper oil pan gasket so that looks like timing cover, unfortunately it's common on the 3.8
I've looked at the procedure to replace it and while i consider myself mechanically inclined, I opted to take it to the dealer since the upper oil pan also needs to be removed and everything sealed back properly.
the oil pan shares part of the gasket duty with the timing chain cover.
you could try checking the torque on the upper gasket and you might get lucky to seal it, i did and hasn't leaked since (3 months)

Saharacon

After further inspection, and a degrease of the engine. It's most definitely coming from the timing cover. Right where the crankshaft goes into the block.

I have a very skilled mechanic friend that build performance valves for Ford Chevy and Chrysler. I'm u sure how hard of a task this will become.

Seems to me unless you get a small puller in the bay, you'll be pulling the radiator and everything in between

TRLJNKY

I just replaced my front crank seal. Looked just like that. $10 part, rented (for free from Autozone) a chrysler balancer puller, and about an hour of my time. Good to go. Easy fix

jeeeep

Hooked
cav♤fighter;702608 said:
I just replaced my front crank seal. Looked just like that. $10 part, rented (for free from Autozone) a chrysler balancer puller, and about an hour of my time. Good to go. Easy fix

did you use RTV on the oil pan portion where the timing cover meets?

TRLJNKY

No need to on mine. Just pulled the balancer and than the old seal. My cover wasnt leaking just the crank seal. Hoping thats all tne OP has to deal with and not a whole cover
Edit- the seal is recessed into the cover by itself. No need to mess with the pan in my situation

Last edited:
Top Bottom