Bad rear u-joint?

Jeepfan30

I have a Coast 1310 rear DS, has about 20k miles on it, all with 4.56 gears and 35" MTs. Yesterday I started hearing what sounds like "angry sparrows" coming from the rear of the Jeep. It's a very fast rotational squeak (DS/pinion speed), more pronounced when load is on the DS, and I can only hear after I drive for awhile and the Jeep is warmed up. It's not engine speed related, definitely DS/pinion speed chirping/squeaking. Started after I finished wheeling yesterday, wasn't making the noise on the way to the trail. The Coast DS does not have grease zerks, is it common for the u-joints to go bad after 20k miles on the Coast DS?

WJCO

Meme King
Not common at all. I would pressure wash all power train joints/seals and retest. Dirt/mud on seals/joints can cause some weird noises.

Jeepfan30

I jacked the rear end up ran it, pinpointed the squeak to the u-joints at the transfer case. Removed the shaft and ran it, no squeak. I greased the H block part of the Coast 1310 shaft and the squeak went away for about a week, now its back. This is a non-serviceable drive shaft, is there anything I can do besides just replace the entire u-joint?

WJCO

Meme King
I jacked the rear end up ran it, pinpointed the squeak to the u-joints at the transfer case. Removed the shaft and ran it, no squeak. I greased the H block part of the Coast 1310 shaft and the squeak went away for about a week, now its back. This is a non-serviceable drive shaft, is there anything I can do besides just replace the entire u-joint?

I would video it and contact coast to see what they say. Glad you found the problem though. In the meantime, you could try to pack some wheel bearing grease in there which last longer, however if there is something wrong with the joint then it needs to be replaced.

JoeB-JKURX

Warranty?

Not sure what the Coast warranty might be (couldn't find it on line) but driveline companies I deal with (local) all will replace the u-joint(s) if they fail.

Jeepfan30

Thanks for the replies. I will have to contact NR 4x4 to get the contact info for Coast, I can't find it online.

Jeepfan30

Just talked to Coast. They recommended using a needle grease gun fitting and injecting grease into the rubber seal on the centering ball. I'll give that a try.

WJCO

Meme King
Just talked to Coast. They recommended using a needle grease gun fitting and injecting grease into the rubber seal on the centering ball. I'll give that a try.

Good deal. Peace of mind too that it's just a noise, not something broken.

Jeepfan30

Good deal. Peace of mind too that it's just a noise, not something broken.

Well, the squeak is back after a week. Looks like my next step is to replace the centering ball since there is no possible way to grease the one I have (no needle grease fitting). After doing some googling, seems like around 20k it's normal for them to be replaced on the Coast DS. From what I have read, I will need a shop press to remove the u joint that holds the centering ball in place?

Moochie

Well, the squeak is back after a week. Looks like my next step is to replace the centering ball since there is no possible way to grease the one I have (no needle grease fitting). After doing some googling, seems like around 20k it's normal for them to be replaced on the Coast DS. From what I have read, I will need a shop press to remove the u joint that holds the centering ball in place?

I have no grease fittings on my double cardan either. I grease the centering ball by removing the driveshaft. I then use a grease gun with needle tip to inject grease alongside the ball where it sits in the housing. It makes the squeak go away.

Jeepfan30

I have no grease fittings on my double cardan either. I grease the centering ball by removing the driveshaft. I then use a grease gun with needle tip to inject grease alongside the ball where it sits in the housing. It makes the squeak go away.

That is exactly what I did, but the squeak came back after a week. I bought a needle tip , removed the DS, and poked it through the rubber boot on the centering ball and greased. I am thinking I need to take the centering ball out and actually get grease in the centering ball pins.

Top Bottom