RockHard rear bumper and Gobi rack

Mtank16

Has anyone installed the RockHard rear patriot series bumper with a Gobi Stealth roof rack? I've heard it's tight but not sure where it's tight. I already have the roof rack installed and really like the full rear bumper that RockHard has.

benatc1

Hooked
I have this exact set up. it is very tight but it works. my biggest issue was trying to get the secondary bolts in for the bumper as everything squeezed with some force. I really had to smooth out the "caulking" where you had to install the posts for the rack in order for everything to fit in correctly. after the fact everything seemed to line up ok and I do really like the bumper. tire carrier squeaks a bit over bumps but may need to re-align it from the pivot point to make it more solid.

NV JK Steve

I have this exact set up. it is very tight but it works. my biggest issue was trying to get the secondary bolts in for the bumper as everything squeezed with some force. I really had to smooth out the "caulking" where you had to install the posts for the rack in order for everything to fit in correctly. after the fact everything seemed to line up ok and I do really like the bumper. tire carrier squeaks a bit over bumps but may need to re-align it from the pivot point to make it more solid.

My Lod tire carrier squeaks a little to, I'm wondering if most of them do.

Mtank16

Thanks Ben. Are the posts on top of the bumper supports or vice versa? Could you add some pictures of the posts where they connect to the frame?

benatc1

Hooked
Thanks Ben. Are the posts on top of the bumper supports or vice versa? Could you add some pictures of the posts where they connect to the frame?

Ben, could you show a picture where it is tight? Not quite visualizing it.

sure thing, I'll get you some pics first thing in the morning. the post and bumper connect in the same spot but squeeze between the body and bumper then up the side of the body. so you have to put the post for the rack on first then the bumper then run the bolts through. I'll send some pics in the am, I didn't think it would fit but it does

benatc1

Hooked
Thanks. I'm a visual person.

So I had it mixed up, the sequence of brackets is frame, bumper, rack support, then you squeeze the post between the body and bumper. I currently don't have my rack on but I left the posts so the set up will look the same, just with the rack from the hinge up.

Attachments

• 1462804586684.jpg
    1462804586684.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1462804598504.jpg
    1462804598504.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1462804612312.jpg
    1462804612312.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 1462804628625.jpg
    1462804628625.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 1462804648591.jpg
    1462804648591.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 1462804682042.jpg
    1462804682042.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 1462804700156.jpg
    1462804700156.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 52

benatc1

Hooked
only fitment issue was where the curved part of the post went up between the body and bumper. you really have to remove all the caulk then touch up the paint in order for everything to fit right. even then there is a lot of force and willing the bumper into place and lining it up, starting a bolt, lining it up. you get the idea, but it does work.

Mtank16

These pictures help a lot. I thought that is where the tightness was. Going to check in with RockHard to see if they had made any changes. Your set up looks great. Thanks again b

benatc1

Hooked
These pictures help a lot. I thought that is where the tightness was. Going to check in with RockHard to see if they had made any changes. Your set up looks great. Thanks again b

Your Welcome, and thank you. If you get to the install point and have any questions just let me know!

Mtank16

Thanks again. Having some second thoughts as I thought the bumper was wider at the side where the rack attaches. Not sure I like the over hang of the rack as it looks unprotected. Need to do further research as I really like RockHard parts.

benatc1

Hooked
Thanks again. Having some second thoughts as I thought the bumper was wider at the side where the rack attaches. Not sure I like the over hang of the rack as it looks unprotected. Need to do further research as I really like RockHard parts.

yea i get what you mean. it hasn't been an issue for me yet on rocks or any trail (so far) but it is a bit exposed. granted my fender flares stick it further for anything straight on but coming from underneath it's kind of an odd area to hit but suppose it's possible. really do like the bumper though and rack is to notch quality.

Top Bottom