Trailhawk wheels, backspace

RickB1975

Anyone know the stock backspacing of the stock Trailhawk wheels?

Also, what kind of backspacing would be necessary for the Daystar Lift to avoid running wideners?

PA inspection laws and wideners don't really mix, I'd like to keep it legal. I know I could always replace the wheels with stock ones for inspection or just remove the wideners but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The wheels aren't measured with back spacing, they use offset. That being said, you can safely run 1.25" wheel spacers and still have your tires under the fenders. Trust me, I have done it.

RickB1975

But, all wheels have a backspace. Guess I can just pull a wheel, use a straight edge and a ruler to figure it out.

As far as what's needed for the lift, guess I can just subtract 1.25" from the backspace of the stock rim.

MattMc

But, all wheels have a backspace. Guess I can just pull a wheel, use a straight edge and a ruler to figure it out.

As far as what's needed for the lift, guess I can just subtract 1.25" from the backspace of the stock rim.

I think offset is the opposite of backspace. I think it's measured from the center of the wheel. Outboard is backspace. Inboard is offset. I think...

WJCO

Meme King
I think offset is the opposite of backspace. I think it's measured from the center of the wheel. Outboard is backspace. Inboard is offset. I think...

Backspacing is just that....back space. Measuring from the back of the wheel hub to the back of the rim lip.

Backspace-Offset-Diagram-Header-840x.jpg

RickB1975

Yes, backspace is measured from the mounting surface of a wheel to the edge of the rim toward the vehicle. It is the measurement that determines if a wheel will rub on calipers or struts.

Offset is centerline of wheel to mounting surface. Offset will move the wheel inwards or outwards as well, however the amount of needed will vary with the width of the wheel, where backspace of say 2 inches means the inner rim will be 2 inches behind where the wheel mounts regardless of whether your wheel is 8 inches wide or 10 inches wide.

Offset is a better way of measuring where the centerline of your tires/wheels will be. Backspace is a better measurement of where the inner edge of your wheel/tire will be. if you follow.

Johfra

This is the link that finally got me to grasp the offset/backspace conundrum maybe it was in simple-ease, or maybe I had read enough at that point to finally get it, but here it is.....

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...s-of-5-wheels-w-different-backspacing.215234/

I lifted / leveled an Avalanche and learned that the Tacoma had the same 17 inch wheel patterns as the GM trucks with the 17 inchers. I am going to be leveling and re-wheeling my Renegade soon and need to get back in the tire groove...so to speak.

FireHawk

Anyone know the stock backspacing of the stock Trailhawk wheels?

Also, what kind of backspacing would be necessary for the Daystar Lift to avoid running wideners?

PA inspection laws and wideners don't really mix, I'd like to keep it legal. I know I could always replace the wheels with stock ones for inspection or just remove the wideners but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

If you are looking to run aftermarket wheels, make sure you take the width into account. Our stock wheels are relatively narrow, and most aftermarket wheels are 17x8 or 17x9, and without spacers or a big offset you will run into issues hitting the strut.

RickB1975

If you are looking to run aftermarket wheels, make sure you take the width into account. Our stock wheels are relatively narrow, and most aftermarket wheels are 17x8 or 17x9, and without spacers or a big offset you will run into issues hitting the strut.

That's exactly why I asked about backspacing.

FireHawk

That's exactly why I asked about backspacing.

I cant get a direct answer on it myself either. Im looking to go aftermarket 16" wheels with some taller tires, and don't want to order a set of wheels I cant use. I really don't want to use spacers either if I can help it.

The G-Force wheels are a +25 offset and there is no need for spacers, but the wheel is only 16x7. So if you choose wider wheels which most are, you will need more offset or spacers.

On another forum someone has 17x8 Fuels on their non-TH, and the stats are 38mm offset and backspacing of 6.2 These wheels STILL hit the struts and required a 1" spacer to clear them. They look great on the Jeep, but id still prefer not to run spacers if I can help it. I have had bad luck with some vehicle mods, and if spacers fail someone it will probably be me :naw:

Top Bottom