Tire question

10frank9

Web Wheeler
A couple of quick questions to my Wayalifers.

An opportunity has come up to switch from my 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Graps to 37x12.5 Yokohama Geolanders.

A few concerns:

1) What other concerns other than c's, pinch seam trim and running them n a D30 will there be?

2) Will my 2.5" lift and flat fenders be enough clearance on my 2 dr?

3) Also has anyone run these tires? Never seen them on a JK.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

I've been asking almost this same question too. What I've been told (if I'm correct) is ur gonna need adjustable control arms to push the axle back some to make room for those shoes, and correct the suspension geometry, as for ur 2.5 being enough hight I have NO CLUE someone else will have to field that question. But ur gears will be fine, ppl will tell u to get 4.56 or 5.13 but I ran 37X12.50R18 BFG KM2 on my old Sahara with factory 3.73's and it was a lil sluggish but nothing I couldn't deal with since it was a dd. Hope this helps, and im sure if I posted so misinformation above somewhere, someone will correct it. Good luck!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I think you will be fine since you don't ever drive it. :cheesy:

You're right! Lmao. I guess it should be fine parked in the driveway on 37's ey. ;)

I've been asking almost this same question too. What I've been told (if I'm correct) is ur gonna need adjustable control arms to push the axle back some to make room for those shoes, and correct the suspension geometry, as for ur 2.5 being enough hight I have NO CLUE someone else will have to field that question. But ur gears will be fine, ppl will tell u to get 4.56 or 5.13 but I ran 37X12.50R18 BFG KM2 on my old Sahara with factory 3.73's and it was a lil sluggish but nothing I couldn't deal with since it was a dd. Hope this helps, and im sure if I posted so misinformation above somewhere, someone will correct it. Good luck!

Thanks I do appreciate it. I'm hoping if I make the jump that with c gussets, 2.5" lift rubi springs, adjustable arms, lots of trimming I'm not putting the cart before the horse. My long term plan is a new front axle and EVO Mfg. bolt-on coilovers.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Axle wise you will be fine. If your planning to upgrade its not the end of the world if you break the 30 and its not your DD. As for the room you would defiantly have to trim and might have to get some more lift too. I think with another inch of lift you would be fine and since you already have a driveshaft that lift won't hurt.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Axle wise you will be fine. If your planning to upgrade its not the end of the world if you break the 30 and its not your DD. As for the room you would defiantly have to trim and might have to get some more lift too. I think with another inch of lift you would be fine and since you already have a driveshaft that lift won't hurt.

Good point. Anyone know of anyone running these tires?

Eddie, I know you've run a lot of tires have you heard any good or bad about the Yokohama Geolanders?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1) What other concerns other than c's, pinch seam trim and running them n a D30 will there be?

37's are a lot of tire and aside from what you've listed, you'll really want to upgrade your axle shafts to a set of chromoly with full circle clips. This is where you will most likely see a failure. New 1350 drive shafts wouldn't be such a bad idea too.

2) Will my 2.5" lift and flat fenders be enough clearance on my 2 dr?

Doubtfully. Or, not without having to compromise articulation. If you can't afford to do more lift, I would recommend that you add a 1" body lift to the mix. If you can do more lift, you really do need to get a new rear drive shaft and upper rear adjustable control arms to set your pinion angle. If you have an auto, you will need a front shaft as well.

3) Also has anyone run these tires? Never seen them on a JK.

They're a decent tire but, they are directional and that might be the only thing that has caused me to shy away from them. If you can get them at a decent price, I would grab them.

Oh and I have stock 4.10's.

You're gonna definitely want to regear. 5.13's will provide the better ratio but, the pinion will be real small up front and I might recommend that you stick with 4.88's. Of course, the front won't take as much abuse as the rear so, it's debateable.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
37's are a lot of tire and aside from what you've listed, you'll really want to upgrade your axle shafts to a set of chromoly with full circle clips. This is where you will most likely see a failure. New 1350 drive shafts wouldn't be such a bad idea too.

Doubtfully. Or, not without having to compromise articulation. If you can't afford to do more lift, I would recommend that you add a 1" body lift to the mix. If you can do more lift, you really do need to get a new rear drive shaft and upper rear adjustable control arms to set your pinion angle. If you have an auto, you will need a front shaft as well.

They're a decent tire but, they are directional and that might be the only thing that has caused me to shy away from them. If you can get them at a decent price, I would grab them.

Excellent and methodical just how I like it. I do appreciate all the feedback. I am definitely going to take this all into consideration.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Wayalife has you on the right track, 2.5" lift will give you very limited up travel. You will have to run some big bump stops to not tear up the tires. On top of everything else, Your steering is going to go bad sooner or later. 37's is a lot of tire for the stock box and pump to handle.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Wayalife has you on the right track, 2.5" lift will give you very limited up travel. You will have to run some big bump stops to not tear up the tires. On top of everything else, Your steering is going to go bad sooner or later. 37's is a lot of tire for the stock box and pump to handle.

Thanks ChrisB. What are the steering upgrades you recommend? Hydro? What other options are there?

Top Bottom