300 Horsepower Hurricane Turbo 4 May = No 3.0L Diesel for the JL Wrangler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read an article on Jalopnik by Andrew Collins and it was in regards to the all new 300 Horsepower Hurricane Turbo 4-Cylinder motor and how because it's supposed to be the "fuel savings" option for the all new JL Wrangler, it could mean there may not be a 3.0L diesel option as many had hoped - or at least, not from the get go. Here's the quote...

And this engine is apparently just the “fuel-saving” engine option for the next Wrangler. That could be pretty righteous, considering the current Wrangler’s 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 only burps out 285 horsepower and maxes out at a mediocre 21 MPG. I’m guessing that means “no diesel,” at least in the onset of the next-gen Wrangler.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/next-jeep-wrangler-will-get-a-300-horsepower-four-cylin-1775584521

So, what do you guys think? Would you still prefer a diesel over the Hurricane Turbo 4?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Cautiously optimistic on this one. Three hundred ponies from two liters is inspiring. The article states the turbo is "twin scroll" meaning Jeep is trying to address low end torque as well as top end hp with one turbo. Just pullin' this one outta my jeans, but they're probably wanting to match the Pentastar's performance with this little guy.

SteelBadger

Diesel by a mile.

2.0L 4? 300 HP? what must the rpm's be at to get to 300? It would also have a fraction of the torque. Maybe I am just old fashioned but it sounds gutless despite the turbo aspect.

JeepFan

Hooked
Just read an article on Jalopnik by Andrew Collins and it was in regards to the all new 300 Horsepower Hurricane Turbo 4-Cylinder motor and how because it's supposed to be the "fuel savings" option for the all new JL Wrangler, it could mean there may not be a 3.0L diesel option as many had hoped - or at least, not from the get go. Here's the quote...

So, what do you guys think? Would you still prefer a diesel over the Hurricane Turbo 4?

Diesel! If it came in a V8. :crazyeyes:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If it gets the same MPG as say a diesel WK2 I'm all for it. I'd love to be able to get a 500+ mile range Jeep to explore the US (and maybe Canada) in.

Hartj17

LOSER
haven't talked to my buddy at the factory, but I would rather have a good diesel that a Turbo 4. Without knowing any of the power curves on the motor, who knows. For what it's worth though, I'm thinking Jeep really isn't thinking about us guys that offroad, they are more inclined to think about the daily driver who wants a lighter vehicle that would get better gas milage.

SteelBadger

haven't talked to my buddy at the factory, but I would rather have a good diesel that a Turbo 4. Without knowing any of the power curves on the motor, who knows. For what it's worth though, I'm thinking Jeep really isn't thinking about us guys that offroad, they are more inclined to think about the daily driver who wants a lighter vehicle that would get better gas milage.

I think you nailed it and government emission concerns colour their plans too. I am thinking a little gas motor produces less overall pollution, albeit as much or more co2. Just guesses of course.

JamesWyatt

If we don't get a diesel option, I'll be really disappointed. I was already thinking about the new Power Wagon, but was going to be holding out for a diesel JL.

Pretty sure if we don't see the diesel option, we have our friends at VW and the EPA to thank for it. And if not that, then they may delay the diesel because they will sell the JLs faster than they can make them for a year or two anyway.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Has anyone considered the possible smell from a diesel unit on a trail setting? I have rarely been around a diesel engine that I could not smell. Maybe I have been around too many older model of diesel engines?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Has anyone considered the possible smell from a diesel unit on a trail setting? I have rarely been around a diesel engine that I could not smell. Maybe I have been around too many older model of diesel engines?

90% of 4x4s over here are diesels and I can tell you the noise is more annoying than the smell but I'm a former diesel mechanic so I don't smell it unless it's really bad.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I think you nailed it and government emission concerns colour their plans too. I am thinking a little gas motor produces less overall pollution, albeit as much or more co2. Just guesses of course.

Euro 5 regs killed common rail diesels especially the DPF. I think direct injection turbo petrol is the future until they sort out fuel cells

JamesWyatt

I just dumped a 2016 Touareg TDI to get back into the Wrangler. Loved the way it drove, but it was nice to the point of boring. Having a range of over 650 miles on a full tank and an effortless feeling of power on acceleration was nice, though. Anyway, there is zero smell from the exhaust, and the motor was only slightly louder than a gas engine.

Kilroy

I'd take the 4 if the twin scroll has low boost to deal with turbo lag. Because if it spools at 3k that would suck off-road. My AMG had a 2 ltr in it I love it 355 torque is crazy for a 2.0. so if the numbers add up close to the merc as far as the hp too torque "just the hp to TQ ratio" then it would be great.

Hartj17

LOSER
Diesel engines have come a long way. Europe has really has done a great job with performance and economy of them. Go to any European country and the majority of the engines for everyday use are diesel. I won't discredit the use of the turbo, hell ford has done a great job with ECO Boost here in the states. I guess we will see what happens. Either way, I don't see myself buying a new wrangler anytime soon.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
diesel anytime 2.8 or 3.0 whatever..........those 300 ponies on the 2.0+ double turbo are a mechanical snafu in waiting.......but Fix It Again Tony is used to it.:naw::naw:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Diesel engines have come a long way. Europe has really has done a great job with performance and economy of them. Go to any European country and the majority of the engines for everyday use are diesel. I won't discredit the use of the turbo, hell ford has done a great job with ECO Boost here in the states. I guess we will see what happens. Either way, I don't see myself buying a new wrangler anytime soon.

I agree, Diesel engines are great....in Europe. They have much less stringent EPA standards over there. Here in the USA, they are very stringent on Diesel emissions, raising the cost of the final unit dramatically. The cost effectiveness is just not there for a non-truck diesels. Trucks meanwhile, are exempted from EPA standards. I suspect we will see a JL diesel truck version for this reason.

Trucks are not exempted from the EPA ridiculousness. We spend thousands of dollars to remove all that BS in-order to get the power and fuel economy that the truck should have.

atrollip

I have the CRD diesel 2.8 Wrangler and I can truelly say I will never regret choosing it over the v6. There isn't any smell either, it's a little noisier but it's a sound I like. The fuel efficiency is great and the torque is fantastic for towing and off roading. The only place I felt maybe the petrol did better was in the dunes. I hope you all get the choice to have diesels they are truelly fantastic.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
My dad has the Grand Cherokee diesel, and it's a fantastic engine. A turbo 4 is superior to a diesel, but it isn't superior to a turbo diesel. Modern diesels also don't smell at all. If you want to mod your jeep, with armor, big tires, big axles, etc....turbo diesels can't be beat. They aren't nearly as sensitive to weight as their gasser counterparts.

Top Bottom