Leaking on rear wheel, axle or brake piston?

aermotor

I'm sure someone has seen this before, but I don't know if it's an axle leak or possibly bad caliper piston seal, and I haven't had a chance to take the wheel off yet to inspec further.

Image.jpg

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Hard to tell, but if it is running and dripping off rock guard, it is probably your rear seals. You can tell gear lube by its horrible smell.

WJCO

Meme King
That much brake fluid loss would trigger a brake light and you would notice a big difference in pedal feel. My guess is gear oil. You can always wedge a torque wrench or 2x4 between your brake pedal and seat (or have someone help you), and then go visually look at the brake caliper and hose for fluid loss.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
That much brake fluid loss would trigger a brake light and you would notice a big difference in pedal feel. My guess is gear oil. You can always wedge a torque wrench or 2x4 between your brake pedal and seat (or have someone help you), and then go visually look at the brake caliper and hose for fluid loss.

This is very true. Defiantly would lose brake. It would feel mushy until there is no fluid then, no brakes.

aermotor

Braking seems fine, maybe a little soft, but not sure, I checked my master cylinder and the level is definitely low from full where it usually is. I think I should top it off regardless. Will try and get it apart tonight to dig deeper, just didn't know if anyone might know exactly what this is. Really hoping it's not outer seals, but easily could be...

Ausjeep113

Should be able to tell the difference between brake fluid and gear oil. Then that will give you an idea of where to look.

WJCO

Meme King
Just an FYI, if you didn't already know, you'll have to press that bearing off to get the seal off.

aermotor

Yea thanks, I'm familiar with how insane it is to get them off :eek:

I actually just ended up buying Ten Factory chromos and I'll fix these up and have a spare set.

WJCO

Meme King
Yea thanks, I'm familiar with how insane it is to get them off :eek:

I actually just ended up buying Ten Factory chromos and I'll fix these up and have a spare set.

There you go. I'm guessing new axles already have bearings and seals installed? Saves a shit load of time.

Top Bottom