Front diff cover leaking. Warranty or go aftermarket?

zimm

Caught the Bug
5,600 miles on my jeep. Front cover is leaking at the bottom making a hand sized puddle overnight. Did I hit it on a rock? Probably, but no obvious scrapes or gouges. I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow. Now I'm worried that if they don't cover it on warranty it's going to cost me hundreds. Or I could get an aftermarket cover and fix it myself. Thoughts?

MTG

Caught the Bug
5,600 miles on my jeep. Front cover is leaking at the bottom making a hand sized puddle overnight. Did I hit it on a rock? Probably, but no obvious scrapes or gouges. I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow. Now I'm worried that if they don't cover it on warranty it's going to cost me hundreds. Or I could get an aftermarket cover and fix it myself. Thoughts?

Warranty of course. Sharkey just had the same issue after we went out and had it fixed under warranty without issue. Maybe he'll chime in?

WJCO

Meme King
Warranty or not, now would be the time to do an aftermarket cover if you're considering it. It's not a very difficult job IMO.

TennJK

Warranty or not, now would be the time to do an aftermarket cover if you're considering it. It's not a very difficult job IMO.

Im just waiting to find a puddle under mine. Makes for a great excuse. I would do an aftermarket one just so you dont even have to worry about it in the future

WJCO

Meme King
You may even be able to talk your dealer into putting it on for you. If you have a cool service writer or tech, the part that failed is under warranty so if they have to pull the cover to replace it anyways, the aftermarket part won't really change the labor other than the tech having to get a different tool out for the new bolts. You never know.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Mine was out of warranty and they were going to charge me for both pumpkins $240.00. Hell, you can get two Solid covers and do it yourself...and I will with Eddie's write-up!:thumb:

Speeddmn

Takes more time scraping the old sealent off then anything. Take your time, give it an inspection and re seal it. Stock covers are much stoiter then one would belive.

Hammmerhead

Takes more time scraping the old sealent off then anything. Take your time, give it an inspection and re seal it. Stock covers are much stoiter then one would belive.

Do a cast aftermarket. The next stocker may make you looking for a nice rock to beat it straight again so you can get home.

professorkx

Pealed my rear at Moab. Temporary trail fix with The Right Stuff. Now I have poison spider covers, as I don't want to think about it on the trail. There plenty of things to damage without dealing with the stock diff covers.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
My rear is leaking slightly and I thought about putting a poison spider one on but I'm just going to get them to reseal it under warranty in case I have an axle issue later on and they try and claim it's due to the cover somehow

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I ran into the same issue :/ but mine isn't making a puddle. It's just a very small leak. I looked under the jeep and noticed my diff was wet but nothing on the ground and it's been like that for about 3 weeks.

ST3LLA

I tore my rear stock cover back with a tiny opening but a big mark and took it to the dealer because it was going for a electric problem. They replaced the front and left the rear still dripping? But to take it off and reseal it is not hard!

All depends on your budget. Warranty is nice. And you can grind off the lip on the factory cover to prevent it from dragging and peeling....or if you have the funds, go aftermarket and dont worry about it anymore.

samIam007

Free is always good. I can't fault some one on taking the dealer up on warranty work. I peeled my rear cover within the first week of ownership while on a trail in Colorado. I used the event to make a case to the wife that my Jeep needed upgrading if we want to use it on the big boy trails. She bought off on it. I threw in the other cover, winch, and winch plate for good measure. I know that my new poison spyder covers wont peel like the factory ones did.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yeah I think it was a faulty RTV job from the factory. Weird that it started leaking 6 months into ownership. If the cover was damaged, I would have gone aftermarket, but I'm good to go for now.

Top Bottom