2014 Jeep Wrangler A Piller Rattle

spencerd45

Hello everyone,

So I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport making a rattling/cracking sound that appears to come to the top of the A Pillar. It has been to the dealer 2 times already and they have not resolved the issue so I'm curious if anyone else has had the same issue.

1. The dealership re torques all the bolts surrounding the windshield. Rattle still continued

2. The dealership has taken all the trim off, folded down the windshield, inspected, and re torqued all the bolts. Rattle still continued

3. I have placed paper towels with WD40 in-between the roll bar and windshield. Rattle still continued

4. I checked all the body to frame mounts and all seemed to be tight. Rattle still continued

5. I have taken the freedom tops off. Rattle still continues

6. I have driven with the door off. Rattle still continues

I am out of ideas and curious if anyone has anything else I can try. If not, its going to the dealer. Again.

Thanks,

Spencer

scull20

I get this occasionally on my 2014...not often enough to take to the dealer though. Sounds like it may be coming from the dash though considering what you've tried. Have you tried tightening the bolts that hold the dash together?

spencerd45

I get this occasionally on my 2014...not often enough to take to the dealer though. Sounds like it may be coming from the dash though considering what you've tried. Have you tried tightening the bolts that hold the dash together?

Yep tried that too. The rattle is literally every dip or bump

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Do you have a hard top? I developed a rattle that I couldnt find for the life of me. First it sounded like it was something in the back seat rubbing against something. Then it sounded like it was coming from in front of me while driving. Never could find it. One day I went to pull the hardtop off and the two bolts that hold the front section of the rear top part were loose. I never seen them or thought about those because the freedom tops cover them. So before I took the top off, I tightened them up and went for a drive. Rattle was gone.

Just something to check. May not be your issue. Just know I chased it for the better part of a month. Drove me crazy.

spencerd45

Do you have a hard top? I developed a rattle that I couldnt find for the life of me. First it sounded like it was something in the back seat rubbing against something. Then it sounded like it was coming from in front of me while driving. Never could find it. One day I went to pull the hardtop off and the two bolts that hold the front section of the rear top part were loose. I never seen them or thought about those because the freedom tops cover them. So before I took the top off, I tightened them up and went for a drive. Rattle was gone.

Just something to check. May not be your issue. Just know I chased it for the better part of a month. Drove me crazy.

On my list to try this afternoon. Thanks!

xtoby44x

I have the same issue on my 2014 as well. No idea what it is either. I'm running a bestop trektop pro. Hopefully someone here can help. Thanks for posting.

jeeeep

Hooked
Couple of things to check as mentioned if you have a hard top the bolt that holds the rear top and place on top of the a-pillar will sometimes come loose and rattle. Another place to check that I found recently is the bolt that holds the windshield in place will loosen and allow the door to flex more making it sound like it's coming from the pillar. look in the hole on the windshield frame for that bolt. I would attach an image of it but I'm on my phone and it won't let me do it

spencerd45

So everyone, I spent a few hours looking for the issue and no luck. Tightened the hardtop bolts and did not make a difference. Tightened all the windshield bolts and did not make a difference either, but I finally found the issue.

The curved piece on the drivers side right between the hood and the windshield ( not sure what its called, but looks like a curved square) was making a crackling noise when I pushed on it. Sat inside the jeep and pinned that to be the issue. It was echoing up the A pillar, making it sound up high. I then took off the bracket directly above it and readjusted. Cleaned up both pieced and bent the lip down a little. Bolted it all back together and no rattles left. Dead silent

Just figured I would share for others that can't seem to find a rattle

Spencer

WJCO

Meme King
So everyone, I spent a few hours looking for the issue and no luck. Tightened the hardtop bolts and did not make a difference. Tightened all the windshield bolts and did not make a difference either, but I finally found the issue.

The curved piece on the drivers side right between the hood and the windshield ( not sure what its called, but looks like a curved square) was making a crackling noise when I pushed on it. Sat inside the jeep and pinned that to be the issue. It was echoing up the A pillar, making it sound up high. I then took off the bracket directly above it and readjusted. Cleaned up both pieced and bent the lip down a little. Bolted it all back together and no rattles left. Dead silent

Just figured I would share for others that can't seem to find a rattle

Spencer

Cowl panel?

Top Bottom