50" or 52" light bars your thoughts

Romac2223

I'm installing a 52" light bar this weekend just want to get thoughts on what the community thinks about light bars.

WJCO

Meme King
b74d4e3d69f888fa6aad9192b977ad898f0f75d20339936901e91fca4b335930.jpg

:cheesy:

I have one myself on my rig. I like it. It definitely works, but I mostly bought it for looks.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
That will be the last light added to mine. A high majority of people have it for looks and don't need it. It would be great when wheeling alone or doing something else where light is needed in front of you but your not following anybody. They blind whoever is in front of you and piss those people off.

Desertman

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462985738.104202.jpg have this set up on my jeep for desert driving . This is in addition to my Jw speaker fog lights. Still have stock headlights as I may return to England and need to change to r/h lights with Eu certification .

professorkx

Got tired of the wind noise with it above the windshield, so removed mine and shortened. Now sits on my front bumper. Heck, I had enough left to make a second light, so I have a spare in case the first one stops working...

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah I have a 50" above my windshield and yes I do love the light it's crazy bright at night. But if your not ever going to really use it a lot it's not worth it. I actually really do use my quite a bit. But yeah I could have put that money into something else now that I think about it. I also don't like The wind noise that it creates when the top is off.

professorkx

Yeah I have a 50" above my windshield and yes I do love the light it's crazy bright at night. But if your not ever going to really use it a lot it's not worth it. I actually really do use my quite a bit. But yeah I could have put that money into something else now that I think about it. I also don't like The wind noise that it creates when the top is off.

I, too, loved the amount of light at night with the 50 inch, and we do a fair amount of night wheeling. Once I shortened the light, I still have a sufficient amount for night running, but I will be adding rock lights this summer to compliment night lighting. Heck, anything is better than the glow worms on my old CJ5's for night wheeling...

Diablo

If your asking because your worried what others think-who cares-to each their own, it's your rig. Now as far as some things to think about, here's some.
-Before you buy a mount, decide on if you want it to go above the roof line or even with it, different companies have different mounts.
-If you buy a high end light (mines an $1800 competition Rigid bar) it will come with rubber fin bumpers (Resonance Dampers) that when installed, make NO wind noise.
-(Note) there's two ways to make them not whistle, one is to buy Rigid's Resonance Dampers which fit most fin'd lights or run two strips (upper fin and lower fin) of adhesive back'd weather stripping from an auto parts store or home improvement store.
-If you buy a cheap one they tend to get water in them so run a thin bead of clear silicon over every part that meets another part of the bar.
-As for use, I keep mine covered usually (don't want any rocks to kick up and break it) unless we're wheeling, camping or hunting. What I've noticed is while driving to hunt the light doesn't really scare the deer off, must be the type of light.
-Here's mine, example of the roof line mounts.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463181172.051804.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463181261.367747.jpg

Last edited:

Jtvegas

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463185565.764000.jpg

Went with truck lite headlights and led cubes and that is plenty powerful. I avoided the 50" light bar due to wind noise and cost.

Ddays

Hooked
-If you buy a high end light (mines an $1800 competition Rigid bar) it will come with rubber fin bumpers (Resonance Dampers) that when installed, make NO wind noise.
-(Note) there's two ways to make them not whistle, one is to buy Rigid's Resonance Dampers which fit most fin'd lights

2 questions:
1)What's a "$1800 competition light"?
2) how do rubber fin bumpers (or Rigid Resonance Dampers) get rid of wind noise when the fins are facing rearward? Website says it reduces resonance not wind noise. :thinking:

Diablo

Ddays, Rigid's Competition bar is the E2 50" - Combo light. It's used with most Baja type racing teams to Trophy Trucks and law enforcement. The light pattern is very crisp and bright.

The dampers reduce the amplitude of the mechanical vibrations. They absorb harmonic distortion from the fluting of the extruded heat sink fins at high speeds. Thus eliminating most of the wind noise that you hear in the cab. I'd recommend them to anyone running a 50+ light bar.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ddays, Rigid's Competition bar is the E2 50" - Combo light. It's used with most Baja type racing teams to Trophy Trucks and law enforcement. The light pattern is very crisp and bright.

The dampers reduce the amplitude of the mechanical vibrations. They absorb harmonic distortion from the fluting of the extruded heat sink fins at high speeds. Thus eliminating most of the wind noise that you hear in the cab. I'd recommend them to anyone running a 50+ light bar.

Are you an engineer?

Diablo

Overlander JK, Yes, but not for light bars, haha. On aircraft engines and weapon delivery systems.
Just sharing a few tips I had and hopefully it will helps.

Ddays

Hooked
OP, I would skip the lightbar and upgrade your headlights with LED's there first. Take your pick - or better yet, search WAL for what ever brand floats your boat.
With those you wont need a light bar unless you want one for looks. The winch suggestion was solid too.

Napalm

OP, I would skip the lightbar and upgrade your headlights with LED's there first. Take your pick - or better yet, search WAL for what ever brand floats your boat.
With those you wont need a light bar unless you want one for looks. The winch suggestion was solid too.

Can't agree with this statement!

WJCO

Meme King
My cheapy eBay light bar makes no noise. Guess I got lucky. I do have a roof rack behind it though. Not sure if that helps out.

Top Bottom