75TH Anniversary bumpers or aftermarket? Opinions wanted.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So, I am trying to get at least the bumpers and sliders done before I ship BOHICA out. I have been eyeballing several different aftermarket combos including the MotoBilt bumpers, Poison Spyder, and EVO. I just got a lead on some 75th Annv bumpers. They are the same as the Rubicon Hard Rock bumpers, but in a dark matte bronze color. Of course, If everything works out I can pick them up for cheaper than those aftermarket combos. My plans once I get it in Hawaii are small lift, 35s, trimmed flares, winch, tire carrier and some axle work (regear and C gusssets front/ regear, 35 spline, ARB rear). I am not sure how these bumpers typically hold up to mild/moderate off roading. Curious to hear your thoughts on the looks, these vs aftermarket, are they good bumpers, etc? I'm on the fence. I think the bronze/Mojave Sand combo looks great, but also like the look of some of the aftermarket bumpers out there. Thanks in advance Wayalifer's!

This is what they look like on Mojave Sand

ForumRunner_20160324_002432.jpg
ForumRunner_20160324_002443.jpg
ForumRunner_20160228_193934.jpg
Mojave Sand 75th Anniversary.jpg

Napalm

My vote is for an aftermarket! You have a lot more aftermarket options for the same price!

I'm really partial to the EVO Pro Series.

Brute

Hooked
You might want to reconsider having any extensive work done on your rig in Hawaii and have it done at a shop where you are before coming over...on Oahu, there are only two main shops that modify 4x4's...I've had a terrible experience with one of them, and have heard some complaints with the other....

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I think they look great when you pull off the end caps.

I agree 100% with you, the end caps would be the first thing to come off if I went this route! :thumb:

My vote is for an aftermarket! You have a lot more aftermarket options for the same price!

I'm really partial to the EVO Pro Series.

I agree here as well. The EVO Pro series front and rear bumpers are one of three sets of bumpers on my short list. They would run me about 1500 for the set, plus paint. Its looking like I can pick up the 75A Bumpers for around 900 for both, possibly a little cheaper. That's got me thinking.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
You might want to reconsider having any extensive work done on your rig in Hawaii and have it done at a shop where you are before coming over...on Oahu, there are only two main shops that modify 4x4's...I've had a terrible experience with one of them, and have heard some complaints with the other....

Thanks for the heads up! I will do all of the work on this rig myself, except for the axles. I am not about to even try tackling gears. The only place I have been able to find online on Oahu was 4WP, and I have heard some horror stories about them. I'm going to call around here and see how long it would take to have it re-geared. Ill likely have to ship the Jeep out of Charleston on Monday.

Napalm

Something else I just thought of but I'm not sure.. Do you have to buy a winch plate for the winch with the 75th anniversary bumper or will it run a winch buy itself? I thought I saw somewhere where they were selling 10A/Hardrock winch mounting kits

Brute

Hooked
Thanks for the heads up! I will do all of the work on this rig myself, except for the axles. I am not about to even try tackling gears. The only place I have been able to find online on Oahu was 4WP, and I have heard some horror stories about them. I'm going to call around here and see how long it would take to have it re-geared. Ill likely have to ship the Jeep out of Charleston on Monday.

For a regear, try Maui Offroad (they have a shop on Oahu as well)...Phone: (808) 487-1507; ​94-1388 Moaniani St., ​Waipahu, HI 96709...​

do not go to 4WP...

projectMMTB

I really really like the look of the 75th anniversary bumpers painted bronze with the mojave color body. The motobilt is really good looking and I'm ordering it before the end of the week. I think the motobilt or poison spyder would look good for sure on it.

And if you do different wheels you could paint them bronze and it would look amazing. Have all the armor bronze and the body the mojave color. That would be one of the sharpest looking rigs out there IMO

highoctane

Caught the Bug
One thing to take into consideration is the fact that the 10A bumpers have some plastic on them, mainly where the fog lights are, and are made from pretty thin metal. They are light, but they are also not as strong as something aftermarket made from 3/16" or 1/4" steel.

GraniteCrystal

Tough call. Looks pretty good. Would be even better IMO if the hard top was the same green as the bumper. At that point you may as well put the money to paint the hardtop toward aftermarket bumpers though.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Something else I just thought of but I'm not sure.. Do you have to buy a winch plate for the winch with the 75th anniversary bumper or will it run a winch buy itself? I thought I saw somewhere where they were selling 10A/Hardrock winch mounting kits

Yeah you still have to buy a winch mounting kit to run a winch. They are winch "capable" bumpers.

I hate the bronze colored ones. I like just the all black ones and would love to find a set for a second jeep if we ever get one and don't get a hard rock or whatever. It wouldn't be wheeled as hard as the other one so the bumpers should be fine.

That being said they actually don't look as bad on the sand color of the one you pictured.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Yes, just looked into this and you are correct. If I went this route I would have to buy a winch plate to mount in the bumper before installing a winch. Thanks for the heads up! Definitely something to consider.

One thing to take into consideration is the fact that the 10A bumpers have some plastic on them, mainly where the fog lights are, and are made from pretty thin metal. They are light, but they are also not as strong as something aftermarket made from 3/16" or 1/4" steel.

I will definitely check that out. I'm only going to be able to do moderate trails for the next 3 years or so, because the Jeep will be stuck in Hawaii. I didn't realize they had plastic parts on them though.

Tough call. Looks pretty good. Would be even better IMO if the hard top was the same green as the bumper. At that point you may as well put the money to paint the hardtop toward aftermarket bumpers though.

I definitely agree they look good with the Mojave Sand. It looks to me like the bumpers have black accents on them, and since I'm running a soft top only and black fenders, I'll likely go with all black accents, with the possible exception of the wheels. Still not sure though.

Yeah you still have to buy a winch mounting kit to run a winch. They are winch "capable" bumpers.

I hate the bronze colored ones. I like just the all black ones and would love to find a set for a second jeep if we ever get one and don't get a hard rock or whatever. It wouldn't be wheeled as hard as the other one so the bumpers should be fine.

That being said they actually don't look as bad on the sand color of the one you pictured.

I have to agree. I thought the bronze colored bumpers were fugly when I Saw them on the Sarge colored JKU. It was only when I saw them in pictures with the Mojave Sand that I gave them a second look and thought they accented the color well. Kind of reminds me of the flat top concept a little.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I really really like the look of the 75th anniversary bumpers painted bronze with the mojave color body. The motobilt is really good looking and I'm ordering it before the end of the week. I think the motobilt or poison spyder would look good for sure on it.

And if you do different wheels you could paint them bronze and it would look amazing. Have all the armor bronze and the body the mojave color. That would be one of the sharpest looking rigs out there IMO

That's part of the reason I was even considering these in the first place. My thought was Mojave Sand with a mix of bronze and black accents would look awesome and definitely stand out from the crowd.

I do have to admit I really like the looks of the Motobilt. The rear bumper is exactly what I am looking for, and I love the looks of the front bumper. I'm curious, which configuration are you going to order for the front bumper, and are you going with just the front or both front and rear?

My only fear with the fully built MotoBilt is how much it weighs. I'm going to be running pretty low in 35s and I'm not sure if that front bumper would make the suspension sag. I guess it's really nothing a spacer couldn't fix.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Those look sweet! I would go with those. Great thing you have a full and a stubby in one.

How you doing brother! How is Colorado treating you? I bet it's gorgeous there this time of year. This is right around the time we would start doing road trips when I lived in Colorado Springs.
Also, I have to agree with you. The more I look at them the more I like them. I know they are not as robust as most of the aftermarket options, but they should be plenty for the moderate stuff we will be doing the next 3 years, and I like that they are light weight too.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Well, looks like I'll be picking up some Rubicon Hard Rock sliders tomorrow, so I'm going to check out the 75th Anniversary bumpers while I am there, as they are close to where I need to go.

Peak

I personally really like that bumper...especially with the end caps pulled and that bull bar that they off for it.

crowrb29

I think that they look really good stubby style and Maximus3 has a pretty extensive list of mods for it.

Top Bottom